Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

I know mine are cropped to some extent, but there is nothing about at all. even the short eared owls are not there. I don't know whats going on this year.

I'm only just em getting into birding. I know own the basic and common stuff.
Have been to a local area and have met a couple of people who are a complete wealth of knowledge.
I did miss out on some stonechats, bearded tits and a sparrowhawk bathing by about 10 mins apparently the other day. But I do enjoy sitting there in the quiet just watching the world go by.

All my reserve shots are taken at St Marys Lighthouse Reserve. Its not that big but through the year it has a good variety of birds. Just at the moment there does not appear to be anything about. other than seagulls of course.
There are loads of waders on the beach but I have lots of shots of them.

I've tried all week a few hrs when I can.

Everything was just out of reach.

Nice couple of shots there thou

A lot of wildlife photography is about field craft, a lot of experienced wildlife photographers use lenses shorter than 600mm. There's a good article on this in this months Outdoor Photography.

Last edited:
A lot of wildlife photography is about field craft, a lot of experienced wildlife photographers use lenses shorter than 600mm. There's a good article on this in this months Outdoor Photography.

Field craft isn't a issue due to a few years hunting.

I'll have a look at that edition thou as always good to look at things from another point of view.

All my reserve shots are taken at St Marys Lighthouse Reserve. Its not that big but through the year it has a good variety of birds. Just at the moment there does not appear to be anything about. other than seagulls of course.
There are loads of waders on the beach but I have lots of shots of them.
Is that St Mary's up here or is there another St Mary's reserve down south ???

Paul, Its the St Marys up here with the light house.
Thanks Trevor.
Ah, i thought so but wasn't sure when I looked at your profile as you are from beds....

I think i have a problem with my 150-600 ?
When i half press the shutter to achieve focus i can hear the image stabiliser working but also a sound that can only be described as a whistling noise that lasts a few seconds after i release my finger off the shutter button.
Also my photos have become soft and slightly oof.
Has anyone else had the same problem ?

When i half press the shutter to achieve focus i can hear the image stabiliser working but also a sound that can only be described as a whistling noise that lasts a few seconds after i release my finger off the shutter button.

My advice would be to contact Sigma tech help - explain your problem and see what they say.

Thanks im planing to get in touch with them asap also where i bought the lens from to see what their advice is.
I cant understand what could be making the whistling sound unless its a faulty electrical contact ?

Been hearing that on mine as well, would be interesting to see what is said, so far I have just passed it off as a quirk of the system, but I don't recall it doing it from new.

Yes i have tried a reset and checked for latest firmware using the dock, still nothing has changed.

Could anyone advise are you using a filter on the 150-600. I read somewhere image degradation can be an issue with a filter on this lens not sure why any one would claim this but just wanted to get some feedback from existing users.

Thanks

Could anyone advise are you using a filter on the 150-600. I read somewhere image degradation can be an issue with a filter on this lens not sure why any one would claim this but just wanted to get some feedback from existing users.

Thanks

No, I don't, and I don't recommend using one either (I'm assuming you mean "protection" or defunct UV filter?). The longer the lens (ie, the higher the level of magnification) the stronger the image degradation is.

They also offer no damage protection, so I really can't see the logic.

Last edited:
Just bought one of these from Simon (swanseajack), it's to go on my nikon D750. Any advice on a good backpack, to go for walks and to carry only this combo and maybe a little more personal stuff. But i won't carry more lenses and/or a laptop.

Loving this lens more and more :)

Been out to Donna Nook today for the seals - and also a Herc flying round. So many shots to go through, but here are a couple that are straight from camera (raw), into LR and exported - haven't touched them apart from that. They aren't perfect, but that is more down to me :)

(now with a couple of working inserts!)

Seals by rackhs, on Flickr

Hercules by rackhs, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just been debating with my wife about the merits of buying a lens now rather than in the new year when prices may rise to find out that she has bought me one for Xmas.

Very happy boy here.

Just arranged for my mother in law to buy me the dock.

All ready for a nice Xmas morning now.

Just been debating with my wife about the merits of buying a lens now rather than in the new year when prices may rise to find out that she has bought me one for Xmas.

Very happy boy here.

Just arranged for my mother in law to buy me the dock.

All ready for a nice Xmas morning now.
Your wife sounds Ace I might get brut and socks[emoji4]

Must admit I've been a lucky boy this year as she bought me a Canon 17-55 EFS 2.8 IS USM for my birthday as well as a personalised plate for my Beetle Cabriolet :)

I know and its beige with beige leather interior BUT I totally love it

My boss thinks I am a little "strange" :)

Just got a lens by the post and it won't fit my camera bag (not a surprise really).
Is there something good to carry this one lens attached to the body without having a huge bag. I don't want to carry other lenses or laptop. I think it will have to be vertical storage?

Does anyone use a lowepro flipside 200? a lowepro flipside 300? a lowepro flipside sport 10l aw?
Or anything else?

Last edited:
Just got a lens by the post and it won't fit my camera bag (not a surprise really).
Is there something good to carry this one lens attached to the body without having a huge bag. I don't want to carry other lenses or laptop. I think it will have to be vertical storage?

Does anyone use a lowepro flipside 200? a lowepro flipside 300? a lowepro flipside sport 10l aw?
Or anything else?

Hi Thomas,

I used to use the Flipside Sport 15L with the lens attached to the D810 and it fitted nicely, I think the 10 maybe too small. For general going out I found the Peak Design Slide the most comfortable strap to use. I also put a 100mm Arca plate on the bottom of lens foot for ease of grabbing and also connected the PD to strap and body for safety.

Hi Thomas,

I used to use the Flipside Sport 15L with the lens attached to the D810 and it fitted nicely, I think the 10 maybe too small. For general going out I found the Peak Design Slide the most comfortable strap to use. I also put a 100mm Arca plate on the bottom of lens foot for ease of grabbing and also connected the PD to strap and body for safety.

Great simon, i like the slimness of the 10L but yes worried seems that it could be a tad too small, a shame really as i like to keep it as small as possible.
The 15L is pretty cheap online at the moment too.

Last edited:
Back