Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

It's an amazing lens but I don't think my back will stand carrying this FX gear much longer.

If someone wants an as new Canon mount 150-600C it'll be listed in the classifieds soon.

Shame as it's as sharp as a needle.

Well my Siggy had a mishap at the weekend dropped and hit a tiled floor resulting in the barrel snapping clean off. After falling into a heap and repeating no no for what seemed like eternity I finally came to terms with what had happened and I contacted Sigma.

All was not lost after sending over some photos to Sigma and ringing on Monday morning to discuss the issue Sigma confirmed they were confident a full repair could be undertaken. The lens has been shipped to Sigma for the repair to be carried out.

The cost is £145 which given the extent of the damage is pretty good. As the saying goes a picture paints a thousand words so here is the shocking damage incurred.

My reason to post is let other users know if the worse happens with your lens and you drop it all may not be lost. Fingers crossed I won't need to 're calibrate the lens with focal software. My lens prior to dropping it was very sharp across the zoom range. My 80D escaped the ordeal unscathed

PSX_20171011_213144.jpg

PSX_20171011_213102.jpg

PSX_20171011_213208.jpg

Last edited:
Well my soggy had a mishap at the weekend dropped and hit a tiled floor resulting in the barrel snapping clean off. After falling into a heap and repeating no no for what seemed like eternity I finally came to terms with what had happened I contacted Sigma.

All was not lost after sending over some photos to Sigma and ringing on Monday morning to discuss the issue Sigma confirmed they were confident a full repair could be undertaken. The lens has been shipped to Sigma for the repair to be carried out. The cost is £145 which given the extent of the damage is pretty good. As saying a picture paints a thousand words so here is the shocking damage incurred. My reason to post is let other users know if the worse happens with your lens and you drop it. all may not be lost. Fingers crossed I won't need to 're calibrate the lens with focal. My lens prior to dropping was very sharp

View attachment 112308

View attachment 112309

View attachment 112310

That don't sounds too much really. It looked good for the bin to me!

That don't sounds too much really. It looked good for the bin to me!
Exactly what I thought fit for the bin. As to the cost of the repair I agree much cheaper than buying a new lens

Well my soggy had a mishap at the weekend dropped and hit a tiled floor resulting in the barrel snapping clean off. After falling into a heap and repeating no no for what seemed like eternity I finally came to terms with what had happened I contacted Sigma.

All was not lost after sending over some photos to Sigma and ringing on Monday morning to discuss the issue Sigma confirmed they were confident a full repair could be undertaken. The lens has been shipped to Sigma for the repair to be carried out. The cost is £145 which given the extent of the damage is pretty good. As saying a picture paints a thousand words so here is the shocking damage incurred. My reason to post is let other users know if the worse happens with your lens and you drop it. all may not be lost. Fingers crossed I won't need to 're calibrate the lens with focal. My lens prior to dropping was very sharp

Ouch! Ouch! And ouch again! £145 to fix that looks like the deal of the century.

Well my Siggy had a mishap at the weekend dropped and hit a tiled floor resulting in the barrel snapping clean off.
My reason to post is let other users know if the worse happens with your lens and you drop it all may not be lost.
Absolutely. I've had examples of lenses being damaged like this. Virtually anything is repairable, and it's not necessarily prohibitively expensive.

481384_10151209740816794_2087570495_n.jpg

62862_10151418113481794_2125323456_n.jpg

10471019_10152480473991794_8149349594219685587_n.jpg

420768_10150536082056794_1581432550_n.jpg

Still hunting for mine.

There is one local to us on a stream but the blighter is so fast. Need to find where it perches.

Reactions: smr
I did go out purposely looking for them on one occassion but since, although on my to-do list ive not given them much thought. I never expected to see one at Bradgate Park either, very pleasantly surprised.

Hi smr

Could you please let us know where at Bradgate this fellow was found ? I might get the opportunity to visit there tomorrow.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread. I was wondering whether or not anyone here uses their 150-600C with the Sigma x1.4TC ? If so, how badly doe this influence the AF speed and sharpness ?

In short, I am wondering whether I can get away with using this lens plus x1.4TC on a D810 (or maybe a D850 ?) as opposed to shooting without and using a D500.

FWIW, I owned a D810 a couple of years ago, really liked it, and regularly used it with other long lenses and found it to be a really versatile body giving some great wildlife images. I just do not know how this particular lens plus TC would work on the D810 body, or the D850, which I might go for at a pinch.

Any user-experience would be very much appreciated.

Gary

I was very disappointed earlier in the year when I tried mine. Focus was very slow and hit and miss.

Decided to try it again yesterday and I am still very disappointed. If the light is even slightly suboptimal then it is terrible. So much so that it really needed manual focussing first to get it near and then autofocus otherwise it would hunt for ages. This is on a 1DXii as well, so plenty of oomf to do it on its own.

Time to trade it in when I am next after something.

I was very disappointed earlier in the year when I tried mine. Focus was very slow and hit and miss.

Decided to try it again yesterday and I am still very disappointed. If the light is even slightly suboptimal then it is terrible. So much so that it really needed manual focussing first to get it near and then autofocus otherwise it would hunt for ages. This is on a 1DXii as well, so plenty of oomf to do it on its own.

Time to trade it in when I am next after something.

Hi Ploddles

Thanks for the input above. Given the reported excellent AF capabilities of the 1Dx2 then this does not sound promising !

I now have a Nikon D810 which has a handy DX mode meaning that it is effectively a 16MP crop camera. I might have to live with that !

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Gary

Hi guys, just found this forum. I have had the Sigma 150-600 for nearly a year and it is seldom off my Canon 80D. Also got the Sigma 1.4x TC, seldom used, will not AF quickly unless the light is good.
This a picture is Full Frame.
Head and shoulder 2.jpg

Any recommendation for a cheapish / lightish / smallish bean bag for this lens?
I have never shot from a car but sometime laying down in the grass or on some rocks.

Ahh, a Damnation, we had one years ago. As mad as a box of frogs and covered us in hair. Still miss her! Lovely picture.

Exactly like mine, love him to bits!

Any suggestion for a waterproof thingy to use with this lens on a d750. I don't know any of these things but something which protect the camera and let you access the zoom too would be good?

Back