Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

You won't ever have all the focus points active at any one time, it'll target the area around the main subject / movement. You'll never have a completely flat focal plane using all AF points unless you're shooting a flat piece of paper on a rostrum setup!

Thank you, I was wondering if there was a compatibility issue between the 80d and Sigma as the 80d manual says:

"Although the camera has 45 AF points, the number of usable AFpoints and focusing patterns vary depending on the lens. The lenses are thereby classified into eight groups from A to H.When using a lens in Groups E to H, fewer AF points will be usable."

Can't seem to find any info on what group the Sigma fits in.

Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone have any recommendations in regards to a rucksack that I can use for my camera gear and this monster of a lens. Looking at the manfrotto red bee 210 as it looks like it may fit from pics on jessops website.

Agree with Peter, I have the Flipside 400AW and it is great. Good protection when it`s on your back too :)

Yep, I've got this too, got a pretty good price on it iirc from Amazon.

Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone have any recommendations in regards to a rucksack that I can use for my camera gear and this monster of a lens. Looking at the manfrotto red bee 210 as it looks like it may fit from pics on jessops website.

I use a think tank glass taxi, with the lens attached on a 7dmk2.

Seriously impressive images Martin. Keeps amazing me, what some members, can do with this lens.

Yep, I've got this too, got a pretty good price on it iirc from Amazon.

+1 for the lowepro flipside 400. I love the fact you can flip it round your waist to swap lenses etc without having to take it off. Plenty of space too.

Last edited:
Variety of birds :) One from the Mach Loop and the other from Mull
MG_1021.jpg

MG_0670.jpg

Bestbeloved and I went to see the bee eaters near Nottingham yesterday. The RSPB had the site nicely controlled (many twitches are not and both birders and photographers fail to show themselves in their best light) and we could not approach particularly near. These photos are towards the limit of this lens and I have had to crop to get recognisable images. They are good record shots but have no pretensions to be artistic at all.

Bee eaters-33-Edit.jpg
Bee eaters-3-Edit.jpg Bee eaters-10-Edit.jpg Bee eaters-7-Edit.jpg Bee eaters-6-Edit.jpg

Would you all consider this lens better than the 150-500mm?
I had a 150-500 a couple of years ago, this lens is head and shoulders above it imo. I'm not saying the older lens was bad, it was a capable lens but the 150-600 C is one of Sigmas 'new breed' of lenses with better build quality and a lot better mechanics. The AF and IS features are exceptional by comparison and when fine tuned via the USB dock, it punches well above its weight and at the price it is, it's a no brainer.

Went for a walk along the beach trying to capture some Gannets that where diving not much luck though.But I managed to take this shot of young Keara my partners daughter. not a bad lens for portraits lol.

durdge bay 032.jpg

WARNING - NOT A GREAT COUPLE OF SHOTS (but there is a reason :) )

I continue to be impressed so much with this lens!

I just had a weeks holiday with the family on the North Yorkshire coast and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at Bempton Cliffs. I am still going through the 'real' photos, but I wanted to post the following. The quality isn't great and it isn't about that, but just wanted to show the range on the lens given the conditions. This was hand held and the first shot is at 600mm (on a D7500 so cropped sensor I know) and the second is the same picture but I have cropped it. I have not edited in any other way, just exported in LR from raw to jpg. As I said, not the best quality, but at 600mm, hand held, you can still clearly make out the bird etc! (and OK, the beak is always going to be a give-away :) ).

DSC_0040 by rackhs, on Flickr

DSC_0040-2 by rackhs, on Flickr

Does anyone know how many focus points are available using this lens on an 80d?

The reason I ask is I have been reviewing some of my pics and the most I have in focus at anytime is 9 this is using the 45 point automatic selection but with my Canon 18-135 I have many more focus points used.
It's best to use group focus on the 80D, works great....

Does this lens work with a 2x tc on nikons?
Define "work". You can fit a Sigma TC-2001 and you can take photos. But you will not be able to use autofocus.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lens-resources/teleconverter compatibility

Incidentally, just the other day I was talking to a customer about the performance of the Sports version of this lens with teleconverters. He's hiring one for the eclipse in the USA. Anyway I found this excellent review on the DPReview forums.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54798110

I don't know how the Sports and Contemporary versions compare optically, but I'd expect them to be very similar.

Last edited:
Excellent shots.:clap::)

Reactions: smr
Back