Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Okay, firstly an apology, as this was a quick grab shot, so settings were not ideal.

More importantly, exactly what are they and why, the strange attachment?

DFTP
by johnnypanic on Talk Photography

Okay, firstly an apology, as this was a quick grab shot, so settings were not ideal.

More importantly, exactly what are they and why, the strange attachment?

DFTP
by johnnypanic on Talk Photography
Top one is a male, lower one is female. This is a prelude to mating - making sure the female does not escape before the male is ready.

I was undecided but yes, maybe Tawny Owl chick, good call Stu @Stuart Philpott possibly fallen from the nest?

Peter, here's the edit to the jpeg, I'm sure you will be able to do more with the raw file.

I'll come back to it later to explain in more detail what I've done but basically, selectively lifted shadows and did a little selective sharpening around the head/eyes.

Upped brightness a tad, upped saturation but then lowered the green channel as the grass looked overcooked, then reduced noise just to the bg using Nik Dfine add on.

I've put your OP up above my edit to make a better comparison, cheers

View attachment 127402

View attachment 127403

I have had another quick attempt at it to be honest not sure how it looks as I tried calibrating my monitor and it's erm nowhere near
it's nearer than it was when all of FB became purple though lol
_5002803 by peter staddon, on Flickr

Anyone use there lens on a canon 80d? I am currently borrowing my dad's 80d, 7d2 is at canon at the moment, the lens really doesn't seem to work properly on the 80d, the focus doesn't budge at times, and won't always go from close to infinity or vice versa. I have never had this on my 7d2.
i had exactly the same problem with a brand new 80d and a 150-600 c. i sent the 80d back a long time ago but the lens has been playing up so its back with sigma now i will be selling when it comes back.

Anyone use there lens on a canon 80d? I am currently borrowing my dad's 80d, 7d2 is at canon at the moment, the lens really doesn't seem to work properly on the 80d, the focus doesn't budge at times, and won't always go from close to infinity or vice versa. I have never had this on my 7d2.

Admitlity I use nikon but sometimes if I have the focus range on full it does that m. If what I'm shooting allows me to change it to one of the other settings I do.
Thinking about it It tends to only happen if I have it on a custom setting. Iirc I'll have a play later today and see if I can get it to do it on the d500 as I know it did it on the d750

i had exactly the same problem with a brand new 80d and a 150-600 c. i sent the 80d back a long time ago but the lens has been playing up so its back with sigma now i will be selling when it comes back.

Admitlity I use nikon but sometimes if I have the focus range on full it does that m. If what I'm shooting allows me to change it to one of the other settings I do.
Thinking about it It tends to only happen if I have it on a custom setting. Iirc I'll have a play later today and see if I can get it to do it on the d500 as I know it did it on the d750

Thanks both, I have a 100d body, but can't find the batteries (ooops!) Oddly my 105 sigma also has "fun" focusing on the 80d too. A bit more testing I think.

I have exactly that combination and all works fine on mine. Occasionally takes a little time to focus compared to my shorter lenses but I think its within parameters and its usually down to me struggling to hold it steady. It's a new skill to learn going to a really long lens.

I have had this issue occasionally with both my 80d and also my 7D mk ii.

Interesting, I had a browse through the custom functions and there is this one in the 80d

C.Fn II -7

If focus cannot be achieved with autofocus, you can have the camera
keep searching for the correct focus or have it stop searching.
0: Continue focus search
1: Stop focus search
If autofocus starts and the focus is far off or if focus cannot be
achieved, the lens drive stops. This prevents the lens from
becoming grossly out of focus due to focus searching.
Super telephoto lenses, etc., with a wide focusing drive range can

become grossly out of focus during focus search, taking more time to
achieve focus next time. Setting [1: Stop focus search] is
recommended.
Even if [0: Continue focus search] is set, focus search may not be

performed when a wide-angle lens is used

I changed it to 0 as 1 was set and it seemed ok, but only tried it a couple of times as light was failing, I have no idea what my 7d was set too. I shall continue to check further. It's got to work, I'm doing cosford airshow on sunday,

Interesting I will check my 7d mk. ii later, thank you.

I took over 2000 images at Duxford Air Festival last month and had this issue about 3 times.

My 7d mk. ii doesn't have that menu item in C.Fn II -7 but it does have what I presume is the same in AF4 - Lens drive when AF impossible.
Mine is set to off.

I had this on my 7Dii. The lens had to be fixed by Sigma.

I shall be using it at cosford on sunday so will see how it fares. I shall probably contact sigma and see what they say. I had it in 2016, august so still in the 3 year guarantee,

My issue was that it would not focus from short to long and it took to long to AF in between. I thought I might be expecting too much but in the end I decided there must be a fault. The person in Sigma technical/repairs was very good, I explained the problem, he offered a few suggestions e.g. Use the centre AF point but having tried this he agreed I could sent it on for repair under warranty. They replaced the AF motor and some other parts and it is much better. Not perfect but it is not a £6,000 L lens.

Sigma were very good.

I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this lens judging by the shots produced in this thread.

I'll be on the hunt for a Nikon one soon :)

sigma test by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

Nothing exciting just trying to get to grips with the lens on my new d500 body. It's been a big learning curve at the min. Thought I was going to Have to send one of them away. Bit I'm thinking it's just user error

It was the same for me. Bit of a struggle to begin with.
Glad you’re getting to grips with it.

tornado gr-4 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr
://flic.kr/p/2769Zi3]
42065169264_9cbe8c2ebd_c.jpg
[/url]Westland Gazelle HT.2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_9482 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

that must be tricky to catch! I can't seem to get any shot like these. Probably my technic isn't good enough. Very well done.

Thanks Thomas, there's quite a few contributing factors to getting shots like that.

Plenty of birds, a few hundred, all feeding young. Regular flight path, good light behind me, although a little harsh.

I had this particular shot in mind and was looking to fill the frame @600mm, handheld, so hit rate wasn't high, but perseverance paid off and I ended up with a few keepers I was happy with, cheers

Thanks Thomas, there's quite a few contributing factors to getting shots like that.

Plenty of birds, a few hundred, all feeding young. Regular flight path, good light behind me, although a little harsh.

I had this particular shot in mind and was looking to fill the frame @600mm, handheld, so hit rate wasn't high, but perseverance paid off and I ended up with a few keepers I was happy with, cheers

It's a shame i have no time, because near us there is a little tern collony on a beach, they have fenced of a bit to help them have a peace and quiet but a lot of bird have nested out of the fence. I'd love to be able to spend a few hours there trying BIF like this but with a job and a little boy it's not possible. To get these bird at 600 filling the frame while moving and with focus acquired is still a great achivement. Well done!

Guess I will be joining you guys now as I have just purchased one of these from the classifieds after getting on for 2 years of dilly dallying over what long lens to buy. Hopefully my pictures will be upto scratch to post in here :)

Back