Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

had my 150-600 back from sigma.i had it sent back as the focusing was all over the place making clucking sounds hunting and after a shot was taken the lens made a winning noise.anyhow on the paperwork it says it was the staberliser causeing the problem i tried it yesterday and its working fine
i will test it out sunday to make sure though.

Hi Cathy, thank you, see the quoted post below for the custom function.

Interesting, I had a browse through the custom functions and there is this one in the 80d

C.Fn II -7

If focus cannot be achieved with autofocus, you can have the camera
keep searching for the correct focus or have it stop searching.
0: Continue focus search
1: Stop focus search
If autofocus starts and the focus is far off or if focus cannot be
achieved, the lens drive stops. This prevents the lens from
becoming grossly out of focus due to focus searching.
Super telephoto lenses, etc., with a wide focusing drive range can

become grossly out of focus during focus search, taking more time to
achieve focus next time. Setting [1: Stop focus search] is
recommended.
Even if [0: Continue focus search] is set, focus search may not be

performed when a wide-angle lens is used

I changed it to 0 as 1 was set and it seemed ok, but only tried it a couple of times as light was failing, I have no idea what my 7d was set too. I shall continue to check further. It's got to work, I'm doing cosford airshow on sunday,

had my 150-600 back from sigma.i had it sent back as the focusing was all over the place making clucking sounds hunting and after a shot was taken the lens made a winning noise.anyhow on the paperwork it says it was the staberliser causeing the problem i tried it yesterday and its working fine
i will test it out sunday to make sure though.

interesting, mine makes a whining noise too, perhaps I should send mine in, the 3 yr guarentee will be useful in this case.

Well done kingo,absolutely brilliant shots.:clap:

Some awesome work going on in here with this lens! I took mine hovercraft racing last Saturday so hoping to get some images up soon, it was my first outing with it!

Hi everyone , I have been thinking about getting this lens for a while now. I have looked at the Canon 100-400 mki & mkii
The mkii even the used price is apx £1,400 to buy.

My question is how does the IQ stack up against the canon 100-400 mki & mkii ?

Then of course there is the AF system is it quick, and again how does it compare to the Canon 100-400 mki & mkii ?

Many thanks

T

Last edited:
Tried mine out at Le Mans a couple of weeks ago, although unfortunately didn't try it out until the Sunday afternoon during the closing hour or two of the race, as I had been using my Nikon lenses prior to that. The Sigma held up well when panning though, I thought.

Perserverance pays off. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

I got mine just before Le Mans a couple of years ago. It was the first outing for me. I was really pleased with it. Was the first time for shooting any motorsports for me which made it more fun :)

Anyone using this lens with the a7iii and MC-11, would be great to hear your opinions on it, particularly compared to using it natively on a canon camera.

Thanks

Anyone using this lens with the a7iii and MC-11, would be great to hear your opinions on it, particularly compared to using it natively on a canon camera.

Thanks
It is a lot slower to focus with both the Canon 1.4ii and the Sigma 1401TC image quality is still ok but the slow focus speed stops me using it unless I have something a long way off and then I will use live view and manual focus. I think the Sigma TC is slightly better but I have only tried it a couple of times, sort of regret even buying it.

Some at 562mm no TC

Four-spotted Chaser
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Four-spotted Chaser

Four-spotted Chaser

Some great shots, even if taken from a boat.
The dolphin one is my favourite. Must be great to see them in the wild like that.

Thanks Bob, we didn’t expect to see them and they were coming really close (only downside of the 150-600 [emoji3]). Good thing was, there were a fair few of them and they were very playful, so stayed a while. Amazing to see!

Back