Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Up in South West Scotland at the moment and went out the first morning in very grey conditions to try some seascape and looked out on the rocks and this fella and a few friends were watching me lol

Surprise Visitor by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

There was a couple of dark grey ones too but they slipped in the water by the time I had changed lenses.

It was a very very grey morning so separating the colours may have changed the shot a bit.

That is superb, sharp as a tack.
Don't think I have seen a better one anywhere.

Thank you, there was plenty more on the cutting room fooor to get a few good ones :)

Anyone using this with the Siggy 1.4 TC ?

What do you reckon on it ?

Hi Trevor

I have the TC and in very good light mounted on a monopod/tripod it is useable I would say less than 5% of my 700 pictures have been with the TC if you can pick one second hand worth it.

Hi Trevor

I have the TC and in very good light mounted on a monopod/tripod it is useable I would say less than 5% of my 700 pictures have been with the TC if you can pick one second hand worth it.

Great. Thanks

I just purchased a x1.4TC from MPB for use with my D810/Sigma 150-600C combination. I will give it a proper test at the weekend and report here how well, or otherwise, it works.

I have Sigma 1.4x TC used with Sigma 150-600mm C with the Canon 80D.
As mentioned by mazdaman it does require good light and if possible a gimbal head support. You do lose a bit of sharpness at 600mm ( I do with my combo).
Do not use it a lot, but is always in the bag when I am out on shoot.
I have managed to get some reasonable results hand held, see below.

Hooper Swans by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr

I have Sigma 1.4x TC used with Sigma 150-600mm C with the Canon 80D.
As mentioned by mazdaman it does require good light and if possible a gimbal head support. You do lose a bit of sharpness at 600mm ( I do with my combo).
Do not use it a lot, but is always in the bag when I am out on shoot.
I have managed to get some reasonable results hand held, see below.

Hooper Swans by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr

Thanks Gary.

Very helpful

Today is one of the last days in our string of rainless days so I thought I'd head out and drive along the Fraser River to see if I could find some bald eagles. I'm happy to say I saw lots... but, they were mostly on the other side of the river! I did manage to find one having a mid morning snack in a tree. I did clone out a couple of branches that were in front of his beak...

Morning snack by Paul, on Flickr

I've now owned one of these after picking one up from @Dangermouse1964 through the classifieds a couple of weeks ago. I've used it twice so far once at a local lake and then yesterday at a Karting event, which I cover monthly. My main intention for purchase was for air shows next year as my 300 f2.8 just comes up a little short, although it is great for my karting needs. I couldn't afford a 400 or 500mm Nikon, so decided to try out the Sigma.
I'm pleased with the results so far, yesterday's race event was shrouded in fog/mist, low light and then rain, so the lens only came out for a short batch of races, before the 300 prime came out, but it held up well at 600mm. Here are some results with the lens mounted on my D750.

Lake visit - Cygnet enjoying the winter sun. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Robin - That look . by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Swan - Mute Swan. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Karting - Losing grip ! by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Nice shots ^ looks like you got a sharp copy there.

I'm happy with it so far, I was thinking on picking up a dock and 1.4 TC but will hold off until next spring, as it probably won't get much use until then.

Looks great, Paul - you got a good lens by the looks of things

Any one using an Arca style plate for the tripod foot.?
Can find Sunwayfoto example for the S, will it be OK or do I need a dedicated one for the C..?

Any ideas..?

Any one using an Arca style plate for the tripod foot.?
Can find Sunwayfoto example for the S, will it be OK or do I need a dedicated one for the C..?

Any ideas..?
I do. Works fine.

Back