Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Not the best light but surprise by this low flying Hercules, South Pennine moors

Hurcules 1024.jpg

Is anyone else’s 150-600 sometimes a little reluctant to AF? Sometimes I have to give the manual focus ring a nudge before much happens and then it seems fine.

I'm a bit late to this and no help I'm afraid Graham but thought I'd mention that the first one I bought had this problem.

Fortunately it was under a month old, had it replaced and had no issues since

Have you managed to get the problem sorted?

I'm a bit late to this and no help I'm afraid Graham but thought I'd mention that the first one I bought had this problem.

Fortunately it was under a month old, had it replaced and had no issues since

Have you managed to get the problem sorted?

It seemed to be an issue with my camera. Tried it on another and it worked fine. Stuck it back on mine and it’s been fine ever since. Weird

PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INFO
To users of the sigma 150-600 lenses that are updated via the usb hub the latest update messes up the focus if you use dynamic o.s
.I was wondering why I was getting so many OOF shots since the update .. checked it properly yesterday and literally watched the focus points dashing around the frame in burst mode . I have now changed to moderate view mode and its really stable again . sigma are denying there's a problem so be warned
this is taken with moderate view mode.
i.e if you aim at the eye of the bird as in this pic in single point a/f using dynamic mode keep your finger half depressed on the shutter button and you literally see the focus point is moving around the birds head , obviously works better with a static subject , change it back to moderate view o.s and the focus point stays locked on target . IMHO they have made dynamic over sensitive.
it has literally messed with my head for the last few weeks as I thought it was either me or the camera settings ..

PLEASE READ by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just ordered, so prepare for loads of questions soon ;)

Will be using on Sony A7 III with MC-11

Have these lenses dropped in price of late ?
I sold mine a while back and got a 200-500 but have just seen a 150-600c for sale near me mint condition 400 ono

Have these lenses dropped in price of late ?
I sold mine a while back and got a 200-500 but have just seen a 150-600c for sale near me mint condition 400 ono

Nope, that's a bargain

Can I ask if anyone is using this lens for action sports, and specifically football. I realise it's going to be on the slow side for poorly lit mid winter evening matches, but it seems a good compromise wildlife / good light sports lens.

Come to this thread looking for any users that are using the lens with the teleconverter TC1401. Here is my issue I have two canon 80D bodies and when I use the teleconverter on either body is lowish light the lens just hunts and never locks focus. I am aware that light plays an important part with trying to use a lens at F8 in low light but my fellow togger and I were out yesterday he with same lens combo and TC but with a Nikon D300 and his lens body combo performed so much better than my lens combo constantly locking on focus on the same subjects (Avalon Marshes bird photography)

Focus without the TC fitted was exactly the same, focus on bird lens locked focus take the shot and no issue

Is it possible the TC could be faulty?

Last year I sent the lens back under warranty as the lens had severe back focus the Focal software could not correct

Since I have had the lens back Focal set the adjust at -4 and +4 at wide and tele ends I am at a loss for how poor the lens performs with the TC attached

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Come to this thread looking for any users that are using the lens with the teleconverter TC1401. Here is my issue I have two canon 80D bodies and when I use the teleconverter on either body is lowish light the lens just hunts and never locks focus. I am aware that light plays an important part with trying to use a lens at F8 in low light but my fellow togger and I were out yesterday he with same lens combo and TC but with a Nikon D300 and his lens body combo performed so much better than my lens combo constantly locking on focus on the same subjects (Avalon Marshes bird photography)

Focus without the TC fitted was exactly the same, focus on bird lens locked focus take the shot and no issue

Is it possible the TC could be faulty?

Last year I sent the lens back under warranty as the lens had severe back focus the Focal software could not correct

Since I have had the lens back Focal set the adjust at -4 and +4 at wide and tele ends I am at a loss for how poor the lens performs with the TC attached

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Doubtful that the tc would be at fault here. There’s no moving parts. I’d expect it to be camera related.

Had this combo on my D500, still hunted when the light levels fell a bit.

Stopped using the tc altogether.

Hi Trevor seems strange that the hunting focus issue is on both 80d bodies I might order a new converter from amazon and test it on both bodies as the next course of elimination
Doubtful that the tc would be at fault here. There’s no moving parts. I’d expect it to be camera related.

Had this combo on my D500, still hunted when the light levels fell a bit.

Stopped using the tc altogether.

Ho,
Has any one use mc-11 adapter to use the canon ef fit 150-600 contemporary on a Sony A7iii or A6500 ! ?

I use that combo with the A7 III

Hi NewBeetle,

what is the AF speed lock on like ! ?
dos it hunt at all in low light ?

I've not had all that much use yet, if you look through the last couple of pages of this thread anything I have posted has been with that combo. It locked onto the young dear jumping through the long/busy grass just fine. I've took plenty of practice shots of seagulls flying etc, but I'm new to bird in flight photography so I'm no expert. It hunts a while trying to go from near to far and vice-versa but all these long lenses do that, it's better to focus on something roughly the same distance and then lock onto subject. Low light? Well it's not really a good option for low light with it's aperture range but that's nothing to do with adapting it. For the money I am very happy with it's performance and really enjoying using it.

Back