Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Anyway, just a few of my early shots, learning really. Of course I would imagine the new 200-600 will track better and lock on better but it's nearly 3 times the price so I would expect it to, especially if like me you already have an MC-11

DSC03900 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Thanks NewBeetle.
The images look very good !
I am hoping to buy a A7iii in the near future and my EF canon fit lenses will be utilised on the Sony. I am hoping to buy a native 24-70 f4 lens hopefully with OSS, and perhaps another native E mount. Other than that all other lens I will hope to use on the A7iii will be canon EF fit.

Thanks NewBeetle.
The images look very good !
I am hoping to buy a A7iii in the near future and my EF canon fit lenses will be utilised on the Sony. I am hoping to buy a native 24-70 f4 lens hopefully with OSS, and perhaps another native E mount. Other than that all other lens I will hope to use on the A7iii will be canon EF fit.

I use the Canon 70-200L F/4 on my A7III which works fine, tracking not so much.

How are people finding this lens on the canon APS-C fit, especially at 600mm?

Using mine with my 80D and its really good I have used the Sigma dock and Focal Reiken software to finetune the lens and have been able to test alongside my friends 100-400 MK2 and the Siggy does not let itself down on picture quality. The Canon is better overall in focus speed, contrast but the Siggy is very good for the price you pay if you are prepared to put a bit of time in tweaking the lens

I had one of these for my birthday 2 years ago and it has just sat in the cupboard unfortunately. I was just to busy with work then. But from now on I will be taking a few days a week off, getting to old for full time graft these days. LOL

Going to start using it shortly for some bird photography. Do you guys who have owned one for a while have any tips for me when using please. Will be attached to a 70D

Thanks Paul

Well I got out a couple of days ago and had a wonder round. Took loads of shots all handheld and did struggle with getting decent sharp photos. Might but it on a monopod in the future. Here are a few snaps.

Attachments

• _MG_4506.jpg
    _MG_4506.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_4560.jpg
    _MG_4560.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_4561.jpg
    _MG_4561.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 40
I had one of these for my birthday 2 years ago and it has just sat in the cupboard unfortunately. I was just to busy with work then. But from now on I will be taking a few days a week off, getting to old for full time graft these days. LOL

Going to start using it shortly for some bird photography. Do you guys who have owned one for a while have any tips for me when using please. Will be attached to a 70D

Thanks Paul

My experience so far (Canon mount, 7D and 5D4):
Get the dock and update the firmware, mine was distinctly average brand new out of the box
Have a play with the custom modes, there are a number of good ideas in the earlier part of this message thread regarding settings
Don't expect too much detail with big crops at 600mm
It's pretty sharp at 550mm f8
It needs good light for best results (true of any kit I know, but this particularly requires it)
Shooting my birdfeeder from the house (20yards) is "ok"
Birdfeeder at 20 feet is much sharper so despite the long reach the closer you can get the better

That's all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

My experience so far (Canon mount, 7D and 5D4):
Get the dock and update the firmware, mine was distinctly average brand new out of the box
Have a play with the custom modes, there are a number of good ideas in the earlier part of this message thread regarding settings
Don't expect too much detail with big crops at 600mm
It's pretty sharp at 550mm f8
It needs good light for best results (true of any kit I know, but this particularly requires it)
Shooting my birdfeeder from the house (20yards) is "ok"
Birdfeeder at 20 feet is much sharper so despite the long reach the closer you can get the better

That's all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

I have used my 150-600 C properly for the first time at Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow with mixed results. I agree at 600 the images are a little soft and when i moved back to 400-500 the images are a lot sharper. I did not try any shots at f8 that will be on the next outing.

Do you advise that I use my Sigma dock to perform the focus testing as per many YouTube videos on front & back focuing ?

I've not done so as mine seems to be ok but if you do, let us know how you got on please?

I take the lens needs this fine tuning per camera ?

I have noticed that using MC-11 adater for my Canon EF mount lenses on a Sony A6500 the images are slighty sharper !

Not been out of the house with the lens yet , Ever time I can go its raining :mad:

Sort-of tempted by one of these, or the 100-400mm sigma/tamrons instead of saving for the Canon 100-400mm Mark 2. Has anyone here switched from the Canon to the sigma, and what are your thoughts if so?

Mostly interested in portability, image stabilisation, build in poor weather. It'll be an all purpose long lens for me, for some wildlife but largely landscape/seascape and detail shots.

Edit: currently use a 6d and, for wildlife, will likely go for a 7d mark 1. Cheap and fast!

Last edited:
Sort-of tempted by one of these, or the 100-400mm sigma/tamrons instead of saving for the Canon 100-400mm Mark 2. Has anyone here switched from the Canon to the sigma, and what are your thoughts if so?

Mostly interested in portability, image stabilisation, build in poor weather. It'll be an all purpose long lens for me, for some wildlife but largely landscape/seascape and detail shots.

Edit: currently use a 6d and, for wildlife, will likely go for a 7d mark 1. Cheap and fast!

I can't comment on what it's like compared with the canon 100-400, but used my lens for just over 3 years now, across the areas you mention and I have never regretted having it. It does get heavy, but I have a lot of weakness and strength in my right side. From the reviews of the 100/400 I have watched, I recall them doing a pretty good job Dustin Abbot's reviews are worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

Here is a 600mm shot which is still one of my favouites I have taken with my lens

sunset #7 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And another of the setting sun at 600mm

sunset by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Back