Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Sort-of tempted by one of these, or the 100-400mm sigma/tamrons instead of saving for the Canon 100-400mm Mark 2. Has anyone here switched from the Canon to the sigma, and what are your thoughts if so?

Mostly interested in portability, image stabilisation, build in poor weather. It'll be an all purpose long lens for me, for some wildlife but largely landscape/seascape and detail shots.

Edit: currently use a 6d and, for wildlife, will likely go for a 7d mark 1. Cheap and fast!

One in the classifieds for sale £560

My 95mm UV filter arrived today , Good value 50% off total £16 posted from UK camera store
it's a inov8 make multi-coated digital lens filter

We've had a couple of weeks with no rain but that changes tomorrow so I thought I should head out to Harrison Mills (Harrison River-east of Mission, BC) and check out the bald eagles. The Fraser Valley bald eagle festival is next weekend but who wants to do that in the rain?! There were lots of eagles out but not a lot were close enough. This particular one gave me a few good shots.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hH5tV1]
Majesty by Paul, on Flickr[/URL]

We've had a couple of weeks with no rain but that changes tomorrow so I thought I should head out to Harrison Mills (Harrison River-east of Mission, BC) and check out the bald eagles. The Fraser Valley bald eagle festival is next weekend but who wants to do that in the rain?! There were lots of eagles out but not a lot were close enough. This particular one gave me a few good shots.

Majesty by Paul, on Flickr

Now THAT'S a bird! Beats my Robin on a stick and Pigeon in a tree that I get in my back garden!

Finally picked up the Sigma 150-600 C today. Waiting for the weather to clear up from all this rain so I can take it out

Whilst on a recent holiday, I had a recurring, intermittent problem with my Sigma lens. At times, particularly at longer focal lengths, it would hunt for the subject and then completely fail to focus. It just started rattling with the image visible jumping (rapidly) in the viewfinder. A change in the focal length would sometimes enable it to then focus but not always.

Initially I thought it may be a problem with the available light. Although bright enough, the light was flat with very little contrast. However, the problem also occurred when much better light was available.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with the Sigma or with any other lens?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Had the same problem with a Sigma 50-500mm and have also seen it on 150-600mm lenses. Contact Sigma and they will fix it for free under warranty or for a price if not, mine ended up going to Japan in the end and took the best part of 3 months to come back.

Was browsing through my images and came across this taken a couple of month ago, was a spur of the moment thing, was looking for ducks landing on the lake and spotted this out of the corner of my eye. No idea what it is so lets call it a plain old dragonfly. If I wanted this shot with a macro lens i would have been waist deep in water :D

Whilst on a recent holiday, I had a recurring, intermittent problem with my Sigma lens. At times, particularly at longer focal lengths, it would hunt for the subject and then completely fail to focus. It just started rattling with the image visible jumping (rapidly) in the viewfinder. A change in the focal length would sometimes enable it to then focus but not always.

Initially I thought it may be a problem with the available light. Although bright enough, the light was flat with very little contrast. However, the problem also occurred when much better light was available.

Thanks,

Chris

I had a very similar problem. Returned the lens to Sigma under warranty and they fixed it. Very good service and the person I discussed it with in their technical department was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Had the same problem with a Sigma 50-500mm and have also seen it on 150-600mm lenses. Contact Sigma and they will fix it for free under warranty or for a price if not, mine ended up going to Japan in the end and took the best part of 3 months to come back.

I had a very similar problem. Returned the lens to Sigma under warranty and they fixed it. Very good service and the person I discussed it with in their technical department was very knowledgeable and helpful.

OK, thanks for your help.

Chris

Anyone know a backpack that can take the 150-600C + A7III + 14mm prime + 28-75 +16-35 and still go as carry-on/hand luggage? (BA & Virgin) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I used a flipside 400 with my D7000 and 150-600mm.
Also had 3 other lenses.
Flew with Etihad to Australia and took it on as hand luggage .

Last edited:
Just check your allowance, flew with Air Transat last year, cheap as chips to Canada, they allowed normal carry-on plus another small bag, handbag or camera case, took the Loewpro flipside AW400 and the Sigma in its own case as it was under the size for the extra bag.

Just check your allowance, flew with Air Transat last year, cheap as chips to Canada, they allowed normal carry-on plus another small bag, handbag or camera case, took the Loewpro flipside AW400 and the Sigma in its own case as it was under the size for the extra bag.

Yeah I am allowed one more small bag too. I might measure the sigma case and email the airlines to check. I just don't wanna get stung at the airport as they proper overcharge for extra luggage etc.

I've just had a look at my leather camera messenger bag, and can actually fit the 150-600, 14mm & 28-75 in there with no trouble, maybe I could have the body and a couple more lenses in small sling bag as my extra bag (just thinking out loud).

There's a really good deal on this ThinkTank bag, which is obviously designed with a DJi drone in mine, I am wondering if I could just re-arrange the dividers to suit my camera and lenses? It's reduced from £199 to £69 at Harrisons cameras, they reckon it would be perfectly fine for what I'm thinking of, but then they are selling them :ROFLMAO:
T484_4.jpgT484.jpg

Anyone know a backpack that can take the 150-600C + A7III + 14mm prime + 28-75 +16-35 and still go as carry-on/hand luggage? (BA & Virgin) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Peak Design Everyday 30L Backpack

Used with the 150-600C, D810 with grip, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4 Art, MacBook Pro, and a few other bits and pieces.

Nice to see this thread resurrected :) since lockdown mine has not been out of the bag, the WWT is shut along the road so nothing really to shoot around the estate.

Newbie to this thread, but read the whole thing, same staggeringly good images, I think I have a lot to learn.

I have A canon 77d APS-C, been testing a lot with the C version of the Lens and trying with sigma 1.4TC and without.

No surprises but softer with the 1.4TC and wouldn’t use unless tripod and MF, as hunts a bit in low light as expected.
my lens is still a little soft without the TC, well perhaps softer than Id like. Started calibrating but only done 2.8m and 6m with the dock, and AF looks better but when I pixel peak in I feel could perhaps be a little better. Still doing hand held for practice, tripod sometimes for more measured focus tests.

I don’t do much post processing, as this does feel a little like cheating but starting to think this might be the way to go...

Anyone else use with a Canon 77D?

I tend to use 70-200mm USM L f/4 for brands hatch BTCC, so looking forward to trying the Sigma C when things open up again.

Any tips for that type of shooting, I dont use a monopod much as I don’t have the technique nailed, starting bird photography but the birds in flight with the C lens seems too much of an ask at this point.

I see mention of gimbals on monopods and the images are awesome, is this standard practise, or is the answer just practise more.

dont think I can post pictures yet, will try and would appreciate feedback.

Last edited:
What settings do you generally use with the Sigma without the TC?

Is it soft when used on a tripod with a static subject?

You may have a poor copy.

To be honest a variety, different aperture/shutter/ISO, I think I need to complete the calibration and post some examples for comment. hopefully not a poor copy, I checked with Sigma and this is a proper UK import. Bought 2nd hand from Mpb, and its in excellent condition, (looks like new to me.)

I’m hoping same calibration will sharpen to the best of its ability, I think technique playing a part too.

Any tips for that type of shooting, I dont use a monopod much as I don’t have the technique nailed, starting bird photography but the birds in flight with the C lens seems too much of an ask at this point.

I see mention of gimbals on monopods and the images are awesome, is this standard practise, or is the answer just practise more.

I don’t shoot much motorsport and when I do I tend to handhold. The last time I went to Silverstone for a car event, I tried a monopod with a ball head when using the Sigma. I found it a good set up for panning and other shots and it kept the weight off my shoulders. Practice and technique is the answer until it becomes second nature and you concentrate on the shot, just wish I had more time to learn. Hopefully we will get some motorsport later in the year.

New to all this a bought a old Sigma 50-500 which I enjoyed using but handheld with no OS was hard work. Just acquired a 150-600 C for my equally aged D3200 and so far well impressed.
My skills are improving daily but still not great. These were taken handheld on a windy sunday just.
sailing 3.jpgsailing 1.jpg

What settings do you generally use with the Sigma without the TC?

Is it soft when used on a tripod with a static subject?

You may have a poor copy.

Just did some test shots at 600mm, some look good, some look OK until you zoom in then you can see softness, e.g. chimney corner from about 15m away, 600mm, f6.3 through to f11, iso 800 1/640 and they look sharp, even when you start to zoom. Did same of a pigeon on the aerial, and looks softer when zooming in, but good On iPad normal size.

used tripod, mix of MF and AF, (MF didn’t really improve the AF), 10second timer.

The test shots.

Attachments

• 34826C40-6CDB-435F-8EBA-EC8EEFE4F59E.jpeg
    34826C40-6CDB-435F-8EBA-EC8EEFE4F59E.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 37
  • D74EF996-FA25-4A27-9067-32ECAC9B62FC.jpeg
    D74EF996-FA25-4A27-9067-32ECAC9B62FC.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 36
A few pre calibration shots too..

Attachments

• 44D4C468-4A22-4BF7-86FB-0DFE1C651BE2.jpeg
    44D4C468-4A22-4BF7-86FB-0DFE1C651BE2.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 92BECD72-E641-4300-9BDD-6DD682C5A466.jpeg
    92BECD72-E641-4300-9BDD-6DD682C5A466.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 00099B67-5DB4-48D4-B59A-C1C3C3DF1030.jpeg
    00099B67-5DB4-48D4-B59A-C1C3C3DF1030.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 205465C0-996E-43AC-A40E-EBBC6B6711B8.jpeg
    205465C0-996E-43AC-A40E-EBBC6B6711B8.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 205C4428-F9BD-498D-9B5D-611B6AFC8A3D.jpeg
    205C4428-F9BD-498D-9B5D-611B6AFC8A3D.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 30
  • F44D0504-4D11-47DC-83E9-A0CF7E6C6E8C.jpeg
    F44D0504-4D11-47DC-83E9-A0CF7E6C6E8C.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 29
  • D2C8090F-401D-4BF3-9437-39E414A23174.jpeg
    D2C8090F-401D-4BF3-9437-39E414A23174.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 28
New to all this a bought a old Sigma 50-500 which I enjoyed using but handheld with no OS was hard work. Just acquired a 150-600 C for my equally aged D3200 and so far well impressed.
My skills are improving daily but still not great. These were taken handheld on a windy sunday just.
View attachment 280470View attachment 280471
I’d be happy with those, I’d be happier closer to the coast too!

I don’t shoot much motorsport and when I do I tend to handhold. The last time I went to Silverstone for a car event, I tried a monopod with a ball head when using the Sigma. I found it a good set up for panning and other shots and it kept the weight off my shoulders. Practice and technique is the answer until it becomes second nature and you concentrate on the shot, just wish I had more time to learn. Hopefully we will get some motorsport later in the year.

I have a cheaper tripod, (USCamel) with ball head but find it fiddly when at 600mm but with persistence it can do the job. What ball head do you use on the tripod/monopod?

So post calibration on 77D Test shots.

Tripod with 10s timer, MF, 1/400, ISO100, F6.3 and same with F10 Chimney is about 35m away. Focus was on the vertical brickwork on right side of the screen. No cropping.

So is this lens ‘soft’? Would appreciate people’s opinions. If uploading softens images I can link to externally.

edit: they look soft so JPGS here: https://www.darksecurity.co.uk/talkphotography/

I also Calibrated with the 1.4x TC and this looks softer At 840mm- no surprises. Added that one too for comparison. f9,1/640,ISO100. That’s the 3rd image chimney centred.

Attachments

• 2DDDEB80-3313-4F70-B889-AA15CE773E3F.jpeg
    2DDDEB80-3313-4F70-B889-AA15CE773E3F.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 44C7B1E9-9E35-4D78-9FC4-C1F7D8CFCD88.jpeg
    44C7B1E9-9E35-4D78-9FC4-C1F7D8CFCD88.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 33
  • FB108043-649D-4E88-9880-8DC3DE71B32F.jpeg
    FB108043-649D-4E88-9880-8DC3DE71B32F.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
So I finally bit the bullet and PX'd my Nikon 70-300 for a Sigma 150-600 C ... and it arrived today :banana:

Only had a bit of a play with it so far so nothing to show here ... yet. I had the older version a few years ago but had forgotten just how big these things are (and how heavy). Still I need to get some exercise after 8 weeks of social isolation. I've also bought the USB dock but have yet to actually connect it to the computer to see what I can do with it.

Stand by folks, there may be questions :)

So I finally bit the bullet and PX'd my Nikon 70-300 for a Sigma 150-600 C ... and it arrived today :banana:

Only had a bit of a play with it so far so nothing to show here ... yet. I had the older version a few years ago but had forgotten just how big these things are (and how heavy). Still I need to get some exercise after 8 weeks of social isolation. I've also bought the USB dock but have yet to actually connect it to the computer to see what I can do with it.

Stand by folks, there may be questions :)

I did exactly the same and have been out with it today. Takes a bit of getting used to and it’s the heaviest lens I’ve ever used but I’ve never had this much reach before. I’m really impressed with the quality but only shot static birds today and a squirrel . 50001835493_e7eed56876_o.jpg50001836753_b9f58e0368_o.jpg50002355996_d5e2383462_o.jpg

Can I ask, if you are using a gimbal head with this lens, which one do you use?

I've never used a gimbal but am tempted due to the weight of this lens - just wary of spending too much money in case I don't get on with it.

Back