Sigma 18-35 art 1.8 lens question - On Nikon

Name
Jus
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I am looking at buying the 18-35mm sigma 1.8 for Nikon d7200 but still searching for answers. The reason for wanting this lens is quality. On crop we really don't have many mid zooms that can live with decent FX counterparts, maybe it's purely by design of both camera and lens but we can see its different.

Reading up the 18-35mm is no question a fab lens, however, i mainly shoot landscapes, I know some of you will say wider is needed but i can live is 18mm providing the quality is there which brings me to my next concern.

For landscapes, common to shoot at around f8-f11, sometimes higher f stop but on a crop framed camera the results (charts analysis) are poor for pretty much every lens when comparing to FX results. For instance, lets take two lens from DX, sigma 17-50 OS 2.8 and 18-35mm 1.8, one does an very good job and the other excellent to say f5.6, now at f8 being the ceiling really for both these lens, after f8 lens performance drops considerably, like a stone.

The data at f8 is very similar for both these lens, only @ f 1.8-f4 is where the 18-35 win easily over the 17-50mm. price difference say, £280 vs £570

So i am at the stage after reviewing the technical data for example, @ f11 both these lens perform around 7 points dxomark whereas FX score nearly double that at the same f stop. So there is my dilemma, do i go for the 18-35 knowing it is a better lens however at f8 is probably as good as the cheaper 17-50mm but can have more scope with the better faster end or knowing the dx setup is nearly half that of fx scoring at f8 - f11 should i change my setup and go fx.

Like to hear from people that have already been here, perhaps the chart tests are all numbers and in reality the effect is not that dramatic, is the above a classic case of out growing the dx limitations?

Thank you

Last edited:
I had the lens on a d7000 and 7100 and couldn't fault it for any shooting ! Landscape and wide portraits at 35mm! Was beautiful solid lens! 'Twas a sad day when I sold it

I can't remember when, if, I've ever shot a landscape image on anything above f8, and given the DoF on a DX is greater than at the same aperture on FX, and you're talking about a wideangle too, I'm not sure why you'd want to either

In many cases by the time I'm shooting close to f8 I'll also be using a tripod, so if I was worried I didn't have enough DoF I'd just use focus stacking instead, which could give me even greater DoF but still use the sweet spot of the lens; you might want to consider that as an optimal solution for DoF/quality where the subject allows

Not posting as an 'advert' but take a peek here at some recent photos of mine where many landscapes were shot at f1.8, and only a few get as high as f8 http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/lake-district-landscape-photography-course/

Oh, and only 3 (inside Cathedral Cavern) were shot wider than 17mm (on my soon to be sold 17-55 f2.8 Nikon)

If I didn't have a preference for primes then the 18-35 was top on my "interested" list - and yes, I too shoot on a D7200 :)

HTH

Dave

some amazing work there Dave. To date I have not stacked images so will have look into that , i understand the concept just something else to learn. thank you

It'll take you all of 30 secs to learn if you have Photoshop lol, but for many subjects its FAR better than trying to get a huge DoF by using f22 etc.

Have fun

Dave

Back