Sigma 24mm 1.4 for Astro photography

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,
I was just wondering has anybody used the Sigma 24mm 1.4 for Astro photography if so how does it preform? Also I noticed there is no rubber gasket on the mound does this have any real effect on the lens? For example does it allow dust to get into the lens mount?

thanks

Sigma 24mm f1.4 is worst of the art lenses unfortunately (not necessarily a bad thing since all ART lenses are really good) and not the best corrected for coma.
This means the stars (especially in corners) will be elongated or have wings instead of being pin points which is what you'd ideally want.
but you have to remember there is no perfect lens, so depends on how much you are willing to accept (personally wasn't happy with Sigma)

Which mount are you shooting with?

lack of rubber gasket isn't a big issue for this and it won't allow dust inside. you might end up with some dust inside the lens but all lenses have dust in them, won't affect your image quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,
I’m shooting with the F mount. I’m just trying to figure out the best lens for astrophotography I have a Tamron 35mm 1.4, and I’ve heard good stuff about that but I’m looking for something a bit wider.

Thanks for the reply,
I’m shooting with the F mount. I’m just trying to figure out the best lens for astrophotography I have a Tamron 35mm 1.4, and I’ve heard good stuff about that but I’m looking for something a bit wider.
Perhaps go a bit wider with a sigma 20mm f1.4

Having said that my favourite astro shots were taken with a 35mm.
So apart from the terrible UK weather there's nothing stopping from trying out astro with your current lens

Last edited:
Back