Review Sigma 300-800

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
Well the new lens was collected from Martins near Leeds, these people are a pleasure to deal with, thanks to Stewart from Lens for hire for putting me in touch.

Initial thoughts were that it was lighter than my old 600 F4, came in a very handy holdall and had just emptied my bank account. Got it home and went to the pub for a beer.....:D

Lens.jpg

Lensandbag.jpg

Next day I had a quick gander around it, checked the filters that were supplied and read TFM.............:LOL:

20080904_2277.jpg

Seemed fairly simple so off I went into the dark,grey, miserable and bloody wet day to test her out, and yes, it is a she, though not named yet.......:cautious:

Weather.jpg

Due to the horrendous conditions yesterday, there was not much about and the rain was slamming down when I did see anything.These two were about all I saw, with lots of others about, which is good to see for me anyway......:D

Femalepheasant2.jpg

Malepheasant2.jpg

I`ll update when I get a chance to spend some time with it in, hopefully, better conditions.

Last edited:
Yes the redsnapper tripod holds it very well,

20080904_2276.jpg

20080904_2275.jpg

20080904_2274.jpg

A very impressive extension that is too.:)

You have a 600 f4 AND a 300-800? :D

Looks good. So it that a Manfrotto 393 on a Redsnapper set of legs?

Yes it is a 393 on the Redsnapper tripod Joe, great bit of kit both of them.

The old 600 F4.......:love:, I think she shall be for sale soon....:(, not sure. I`ll see how I go on with this.

You can bother otters from even further away now! :D

I saw the otters on the river last week, i`ll get them on camera soon I hope, fabulous creatures.....:D

600 ED Joe, I have the recommended 1.4 tc for it as well.

That's an amazing lens you have, congratulations on the buy; though I am surprised you had the guts to leave it at home and run to the pub for a drink :thinking:. If it were me, I'd take it out for a drive, especially as you say it's a "she" and find a location where I can be alone with her :love:

Congrats. Often thought I'd like to add one to my kit. Whilst the 500 is a great moving around lens, I reckon the zoom would be superb when working from hides...

It really is not that heavy nor cumbersome, I carried through woods and along the riverbank for a good few hours yesterday without a problem.

When you said you wanted my 80-200mm for wedding photography I didn't realise the size of your problem, I can see how being a mile away from the Bride and Groom would make communication difficult:nuts:

Congratulations 0n the 300-800, I'm considering that for next seasons cricket.
As it would give more framing options.

For what I do, being able to lock on to a moving bird/animal at 300 and then zoom into anything up to 800 is a huge bonus. With a fixed prime like the 600, I could miss shots simply by having to search the sky for too long.

Heck you can sit under that and shield from the rain. ;)

What a beast! You must be well happy! Might well have to look into the redsnapper tripods cause it looks very sturdy there. Nice

Redsnapper tripod is rated to 10 kgs.

Glad to see you got it mate and seem quite happy with it so far, albeit your opportunities to use it have been limited due to the weather.

I look forward to seeing some wildlife shots in due course.

I'm still considering one. Go on convince me, you know you wanna.:clap::clap:

Cheers Brash!!!!(y)

O M F G

That is all ;) Is that lens the sunny side of £10k or the rainy side?

Had a look at Martins but can't see the lens listed there:shrug::shrug:. Need to compare prices to see if I'll get it in UK or from Far East.

Had a look at Martins but can't see the lens listed there:shrug::shrug:.
Give them a call, like Fracster did and like I did when I wanted a Nikon 300/2.8. (They got me one when no other retailer could.) They don't put all the esoteric stuff on their web site, but they seem to be able to get it quickly all the same.

Give them a call, like Fracster did and like I did when I wanted a Nikon 300/2.8. (They got me one when no other retailer could.) They don't put all the esoteric stuff on their web site, but they seem to be able to get it quickly all the same.

Bang on right Stewart............(y)

Brian, give me a couple of weeks and i`ll give it a good work out, initial impressions are that it is excellent, i`ll let you know squire..................(y)

Last edited:
I tried to put this in the review section but couldn`t, is it possible to move it guys?

Thank you kindly Robert. I shall try too update if the weather improves and I get the time to use it.

And thanks, initial thoughts are that it is a nice lens.................:)

Bang on right Stewart............(y)

Brian, give me a couple of weeks and i`ll give it a good work out, initial impressions are that it is excellent, i`ll let you know squire..................(y)

Cheers, apprecieted(y)

Thats huge!

Wouldn't the weight of the camera bend the casing slightly such that glass inside may be fractionally out of line? In other words, is there a need to support the camera as well?

HOLY CARP!

Have you superglued a telescope to your camera body?

Back