Sigma 300mm f2.8 + Nikon TC-14E II

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know if the Nikon TC-14E II is compatible with Sigma lenses with internal motors such as the 300mm f2.8?
The Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR is well beyond my means, but I may be able to afford a second hand Sigma.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to mount this. Nikon AF-S TC's have lugs in which prevent them fitting to many Nikon lenses (for example 70-300 VR), so I doubt you'll be able to mount the TC to a 3rd party lens unless you modify the TC.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think this will work.

I have the Canon version of the sigi 300 f2.8 and it works fine with my Canon 2X adapter so Im guessing you should be fine with the Nikon equivalent.

I have the Canon version of the sigi 300 f2.8 and it works fine with my Canon 2X adapter so Im guessing you should be fine with the Nikon equivalent.
This is irrelevant. The compatibility issues with Nikon Teleconverters are completely different from - and much more comples than - the compatibility issues with Canon Extendersx

This is irrelevant. It only addresses compatbility between Sigma lenses and Sigma Teleconverters.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to mount this. Nikon AF-S TC's have lugs in which prevent them fitting to many Nikon lenses (for example 70-300 VR), so I doubt you'll be able to mount the TC to a 3rd party lens unless you modify the TC.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think this will work.
I agree with Andy's conclusions, but the nature of the Sigma/Nikon incompatibility is even more subtle than he implies. There are several Sigma lenses which we stock in both Canon and Nikon fits, and we find that they DO work with Canon Extenders but DO NOT work with Nikon Teleconverters. The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and 300-800mm f/5.6 do NOT fit Nikon Teleconverters, so I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 won't either. (But, like Andy, I can't be 100% sure because I don't have that particular lens.)

The other way round isn't a happy combo either. My Sigma TC doesn't like the 70-200mm VR at all and just hunts like mad. Also the Kenko TCs (1.4X and 2X) don't like the Sigma 300mm HSM on a Nikon body. It just ends up crashing the body. The only combos that are almost guaranteed to work is using the same brand TC as the lens. So a Nikon TC with a Nikon lens and a Sigma TC with a Sigma lens.

I just got a kenko 1.4tc to use with my sigma 300mm and my initial impressions are good. It does hunt occassionally but in general it's good.

Places like Fixation will modify Nikon TCs to enable them to be mounted on a wider range of lenses, though how well they'd play together...

There is a DIY way of removing the lugs on a Nikon TC.

It doesn't affect useage on a Nikon lens, and will work with *some* sigma lenses. The 1.7*tc does not work with the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 for example, hunts all over the place.

Does anyone know if the Nikon TC-14E II is compatible with Sigma lenses with internal motors such as the 300mm f2.8?
The Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR is well beyond my means, but I may be able to afford a second hand Sigma.

As Andy said there is a lug on the Nikon TC to prevent the Sigma mounting, this can be removed, you would need to check that there are no elements near the back of the Sigma that may hit the element in the TC.

How to adapt a Nikon TC ... at your own risk LINK

Thanks for all of the replies; it looks like its not worth trying

Back