sigma 30mm f1.4 or nikon 35mm f1.8?

Do you plan to use it professionally?

no :nuts: - have you seen my flickr?

well id like to but going to wait till back in UK till try and find some portrait work on the side (and wont be with this lens tbh)

I am selling a 50mm 1.4 G under classifieds if you are interested?

thanks but ill probably go for the 80-200 rather than a 50 at this stage, as PD pointed out im not a fan of 50mm on crop sensor. Plus im drawn to the af-d rather than g, not sure why

No probs.

I tried the 80-200 on the S5 the other day and couldnt believe how heavy it was, I ended up with a 70-300 instead which whilst not a pro lens will suffice and is loads lighter.

how come you're selling the 50 out of interest?

A 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8 might be a viable alternative to 80-200 (although i dont mind the weight really)

Want to try 24-70 but that may be further down the line. I also fancy a new Panasonic Compact.

Main reason is that I got a 28-105 Macro under PD recommendation so 50 and 60 can both go, I am that happy with it.

I will then have Tamron 17-50, Nikon 35mm F2, Nikon 28-105mm and a Nikon 70-300 VR

I use my 28-105 as my walkaround lens, it does everything I want.

ok fair enough. I think we're in a similar boat-both looking to full frame future :)

Agree, I have thought about it and the only body I would buy is the D700 its just to expensive at the moment. There is a fair amount of sense though in buying FF lenses so you are future proof. Problem FF lenses are not always the best on the S5!

Happy hunting.

I would have bought the AFS 35mm f1.8 had it been FF compatible as I too am saving for a D700. Making it DX seems a little short sighted to me.

I would have bought the AFS 35mm f1.8 had it been FF compatible as I too am saving for a D700. Making it DX seems a little short sighted to me.

TBF I think it's a cost effective lens aimed at DX users who want an equivalent to 50mm on FX. I've just bought the Sigma 30mm 1.4 on here for precisely that reason - the Nikkor 50mm 1.4D I have is a wonderful lens, but simply too long on a DX body when you're trying to shoot a lunatic 2 year old indoors :)

Got the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S today..

First impressions - sharp!

But.... focus is much slower than the older AF-D, its also bigger (although not full frame), and doesn't focus as close. Amazing how DX is supposed to allow for compact designs, yet this is bigger than its full frame brother!! :LOL:

Seems to be squarely aimed at D40, D60, D5000 owners - anyone one else will be better served by the 35/2 AF-D I think.

-Andy

Nope... although my usual source has gone very quiet after being a bit leaky NDA-wise last year - I don't think we'll see fast versions of either. But that just because I don't think Nikon are going in that direction, the reason being is that Canon have these already and Nikon tend to avoid going head to head.. I think the 14-24 and the 24-70 point to the way they are going. Prime performance in a zoom...

I also think "AF-S" in a lot of lenses isn't needed at all, but thats just me. Especially with the mickey mouse AF-S we've in the 50mm f/1.4 G and the 3mm f/1.8 G that are slower than the AF-D versions!

Seems to be squarely aimed at D40, D60, D5000 owners - anyone one else will be better served by the 35/2 AF-D I think.

I suppose it is aimed squarely at that market in order to give them the nifty fifty feeling !

I suppose it is aimed squarely at that market in order to give them the nifty fifty feeling !

I think so - although its a bit hard to tell on my D50 which is really sharp with pretty much any lens (weak AA filter), it seems incredibly good wide open.

I don't know how much more expensive it would be to have made it FF though. I know several people who have said that they would have bought it had it been FF compatible. I for one would have bought it when it came out but I am avoiding anything that is not FF due to my impending purchase. I already have a lot of money tied up in a DX lens (the 18-200). I will keep the other DX lenses as they go with the D1x which I use separately.

Back