Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8

Name
Barney
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got any experience of either the Mark I or the Mark II version? I simply can't stretch to a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 at the moment so I'm considering this instead as I could in theory use it as a cheap light weight walkabout alternative to the Nikkor when I can afford one.

TIA

Thanks for the links. The reason I'm ont considering a 70-200 is simply that I want the Nikkor (I recently traded my Nikkor 80-200 in as I thought I was getting one sooner but thanks to insurance excesses, mortgage payment hikes etc etc that's no longer the case) and there's no point buying a lens which I'd have to sell again. I'm thinking of the 50-150 as it will fit my short term requirements but would also be a useful lens to have alongsidfe the Nikkor. Plus, my father-in-law was thinking of getting one so he can always use it too.

Thanks for the links. The reason I'm ont considering a 70-200 is simply that I want the Nikkor (I recently traded my Nikkor 80-200 in as I thought I was getting one sooner but thanks to insurance excesses, mortgage payment hikes etc etc that's no longer the case) and there's no point buying a lens which I'd have to sell again. I'm thinking of the 50-150 as it will fit my short term requirements but would also be a useful lens to have alongsidfe the Nikkor. Plus, my father-in-law was thinking of getting one so he can always use it too.

I see.
Well, I've read on it a bit too, as was wondering whether it's any good and it seems that most people on dpreview forums who have bought it have done so to get a fast yet fairly lightweight telephoto lens. The MKI is said to have some issues when focusing on close subjects and both aren't pin sharp at F2.8, but one stop down and they're supposed to be quite nice. From what I've seen either on pixel-peeper or elsewhere, it seems to be true.

Being a D300 owner I thought this ...

I wonder if the D300's focus tuning adjustment would greatly improve this lens's performance, hmmm....

was an interesting question and I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to it.

Focus tuning isnt' suitable its really designed for fixed focus lenses not zooms.

You can fine tune say 150mm, but it would knock out 100mm for example, as most zooms are not parfocal.

D300 AF fine tuning is practically useless for zooms.

Back