Beginner Sigma 50mm Art for baby photography?

Name
Mark Ross
Edit My Images
No
I've have just become a Dad and am wanting to get some decent photos of my little lad. My main experience is landscape photography, so I don't have a lot of portrait experience and definitely no baby portrait experience. I'm thinking of getting a more suitable lens and am considering the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art. I know this lens is very high quality, which is mainly what appeals to me, but is this focal length suitable for newborns? I have a full frame Canon 6D. Anything else I need to consider? Any other lenses in this price range that would work better?

What lenses do you have at the moment? Stick them to 50mm and see what you think of the focal length. You could even start off with the Uber cheap 50mm i.8 to see how you get on but the Sigma is obviously a much nicer lens.

I only have 14mm, 16-35mm and 100mm and 400mm at the moment so trying them at 50mm isn't an option!

With full frame I would say a little longer focal length would be more useful. If you want to go with prime, then 100mm f2.8L would be my choice as you then also have an excellent macro lens. 50mm used close to your bundle of joy may result in undesirable distortion.

With full frame I would say a little longer focal length would be more useful. If you want to go with prime, then 100mm f2.8L would be my choice as you then also have an excellent macro lens. 50mm used close to your bundle of joy may result in undesirable distortion.

Ah I already have the 100mm f2.8L macro - didn't think to try that. Will give it a go!

I tried my 100mm macro and whilst it's good for feet / hand shots, for general shots it's a bit too long. So I'm going to give the Sigma 50mm a go I think.

I've just picked up the Sigma 50mm - was surprised at how heavy it was for a relatively small lens! Must be some serious glass in there! Anyway, will be trying it out soon and will post photos.

Cracking lens I own the 35mm and the 50mm art can't knock them one bit

Back