Sigma 70-300mm APO - Worth getting?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get this cheap zoom lens for my Nikon D300, I've used the nikon 70-300 VR before but not this sigma one. But someone has just offered me a "mint" one for a good price so I'd like to hear your opinions on this particularly for shooting at the 300mm end and also in macro.

I've read a few threads with people generally saying that its pretty sharp but I haven't read much on whether its any good at the 300mm end and whether the macro feature is useable.

Does anyone have any sample pics taken at 300mm? Is it too slow? Also, can you hand hold 300mm without optical stabilisation say for motorsport?

Oh and can you use a TC on it say to take it to 400mm+? Will it still AF?

Any known faults I should check before buying it?

So many questions! lol ... Cheers guys! :p

Hi SuperCNJ,

I use the 70-300 APO and i'm very pleased with it.

barnowl2.jpg

the above was taken on a 30D with the Sigma lens handheld at 300mm on an over cast day.

Hope you like it? I have many more images at http://www.lightandcolours.com/photos

TTFN

Mark

Markie, thats a great shot! Very sharp with decent bokeh

How you managed to spot the owl and shoot it so well is beyond me. :shrug:

If the 70-300 APO can achieve something like that handheld in overcast light I'm pretty impressed especially given the price of it.

Do you have any macro shots with it?

Jessops are doing the 70-300 APO Nikon fit for £100 at the moment I think. Great lens for the money.

I like using this lens to. I find it sometimes struggles to focus in extremely low light conditions but get the right light its great

wow that is pretty sharp. I wouldn't have expected a 300mm lens of this price to be that sharp.

Anyone used its macro function? Is it any good?

wow that is pretty sharp. I wouldn't have expected a 300mm lens of this price to be that sharp.

Anyone used its macro function? Is it any good?

I have the newer version of the lens that has the built in motor. Not an issue for you but at the time I only had a D40.

I have used the macro and its good but not 1:1 good. I'd say if you want to do macro a dedicated lens is a must.

Back