Sigma 85mm Portaits (more added)

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying out the sigma today in overcast skies, all taken at 1.6. I find the focus to be very fast and pretty much spot on every time

5306140925_5ce93e0550_b.jpg

5306732304_1ef342f8bd_b.jpg

5306140749_d3c8d82d2e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yo, amazing photos, Joe. I love the bokeh and the way the background goes blur.
Sigma is good, isn't it?

yo right back at ya!

Sigma is good sometimes yes, with this 85mm it's definitely good!

yes, i have a 50mm 1.4 sigma prime which is also lovely, my old 30mm 1.4 was also special

What a lovely piece o' glass. Lovely pictures :)

joe, you have now been added to the list of people to hate as i am lusting after that lens and cant afford it at the moment - oh and yes they are very very good images!

I'd love this lens but i'm considering the 85mm 1.8 as it's more within my budget. can't see there being a massive difference in DOF between the two..

Sigma is good sometimes yes, with this 85mm it's definitely good!

I had more problems with Canon L than I ever did with Sigma. That looks good :)

I'd love this lens but i'm considering the 85mm 1.8 as it's more within my budget. can't see there being a massive difference in DOF between the two..

I had the 85 1.8 before this one. The DOF isn't the deal breaker it's the bokeh and the sharpness. I liked the 1.8 a lot, but when I stuck this one on it just seemed better contrast, bokeh and sharpness so i sold the 1.8

Very nice and #3 is superb. Looks like a good lens.

(y)

Fantastic pics. No.1 is lovely, as is No.3 (y)
I have a 50mm 1.4mm and certainly fancy this lens.

how do the 85 and 50 live together ?
don't they feel too similar ?

you probably have the zooms as well.

they go together well, not too similar, quite a bit of difference in the focal lengths, the 50 is better indoors where it is a bit cramped, always take the 85 when outside.

I have a 24-70L and 70-200L but haven't used them in ages since i got these two primes.

absolutely gorgeous number 1... love that!

others are gorgeous too but particularly love the first.

Those images are fantastic :)

Very nice and #3 is superb. Looks like a good lens.

(y)

Fantastic pics. No.1 is lovely, as is No.3 (y)
I have a 50mm 1.4mm and certainly fancy this lens.

(y)

ta, yes I would thoroughly recommend this lens, even more so than the 50mm 1.4 which I also love, this just seems a bit more magical

Lovely, Joe. I'm going to buy this pair too in the new year. Just now considering whether to stay with Canon or get a D700.

lovely pics, looks like a lens that will get a lot of use from you!

they go together well, not too similar, quite a bit of difference in the focal lengths, the 50 is better indoors where it is a bit cramped, always take the 85 when outside.

I have a 24-70L and 70-200L but haven't used them in ages since i got these two primes.

the same situation, I mean - about the primes. but it makes more sense to use zooms if your doing paid work. well, but who doesn't know that already :D

the same situation, I mean - about the primes. but it makes more sense to use zooms if your doing paid work. well, but who doesn't know that already :D

Why? I use primes for nearly all my paid work.

you reckon? tell that to our lithuanian friend on here, he shoots his weddings almost exclusively with primes. you cant beat a prime for iq

Lovely, Joe. I'm going to buy this pair too in the new year. Just now considering whether to stay with Canon or get a D700.

cant help you with that choice but i doubt you'll regret whatever you choose, the d700 is pretty nice i hear

you reckon? tell that to our lithuanian friend on here, he shoots his weddings almost exclusively with primes. you cant beat a prime for iq

his clients seem friendly though ! :D very understanding etc.

well, and he's not bad with the equipment either :)

Very very nice, well done. Lovely subject material as well :)

I really like some of your work Joe, you're certainly striking a really good balance with the use of prime 50 & 85mm lenses. As someone who's just bought his first Canon body Im always interested in your thoughts having seen some of your pics (y)

I can see both sides of the argument here. I agree, the quality of a prime is second to none BUT I wouldn't feel confident shooting a wedding with just primes. I'd be much happier with a 24-70 and 70-200. Horses for courses I guess :)

Joe - nice images btw. Be really nice to see some of the images full size. Love to get a really good idea of the quality of the Sigma lens. Any chance of a link to full size image (or section of)?

Will you guys stop posting pics please, i'm really trying to refrain for another month!

Joking aside, nice pics Joe

just razor sharp and great bokeh. i really like the desaturated tones in the background - it really conveys the cold/baron winter.

i really like them all, but no 3 is my favourite because you captured a really special moment, just lovely smiles.

...and Kris, just buy it *now* before VAT goes up. that would be my excuse :)

Last edited:
You're tempting me to part with my Canon f/1.8 (which I love) and maybe my Canon 50 f/1.4 too to fund it!

O/T i'm not really following but - isn't the VAT increasing just by 2% and in which category lay the cameras etc ?

O/T i'm not really following but - isn't the VAT increasing just by 2% and in which category lay the cameras etc ?

... yes it is and it's only few quid on the cost of the lens, but hey that's a few quid in my pocket towards the next lens... rather it there than spent by our honourable friends on another pointless government computer system ;-)

Very very nice, well done. Lovely subject material as well :)

I really like some of your work Joe, you're certainly striking a really good balance with the use of prime 50 & 85mm lenses. As someone who's just bought his first Canon body Im always interested in your thoughts having seen some of your pics (y)

you only like some of my work? Why not all? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I can see both sides of the argument here. I agree, the quality of a prime is second to none BUT I wouldn't feel confident shooting a wedding with just primes. I'd be much happier with a 24-70 and 70-200. Horses for courses I guess :)

Joe - nice images btw. Be really nice to see some of the images full size. Love to get a really good idea of the quality of the Sigma lens. Any chance of a link to full size image (or section of)?

sure,

full res versions of last one here.

On the one with my wife and daughter you can see how sharp the focus is on my daughters eyes, thats also using an off centre focus point on the 5dmark 2, by the time it reaches my wifes eyes at actual size you can see the dof has just about reached the limit and the sharpness is beginning to drop off.

link

Back