Sigma 85mm Portaits (more added)

wtf is going on here then?

Bomberman, stay out of the thread, we can read edits.

I'll do a thread clean shortly, lets see if we can get it back on track

Its a shame IMO.
For what its worth I love the pics and would love to own this lens. I had the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for my Canon 7d but sold it once I replaced the 7d for the 5dmk II. I'm in the process of purchasing the Sigma 50mm 1.4. I also had the Canon 50mm 1.8 and to be fair it doesnt come close to the Sigma.

I agree with Dav, it's probably more of an equipment thread since I'm showing the capabilities of the lens.

and by the way here an example that shows the autofocus quite well:

This was at 1/250 f/1.6 and i was using continuous focus, she was moving really fast on the swing. I was impressed at the tracking:

5369699912_08526e2546_b.jpg

Here's the 100%, it's not razor sharp but with a very fast moving target at 1/250 ISO 400 it's plenty in focus for me

5369102617_ff33390250_b.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Dav, it's probably more of an equipment thread since I'm showing the capabilities of the lens.

and by the way here an example that shows the autofocus quite well:

This was at 1/250 f/1.6 and i was using continuous focus, she was moving really fast on the swing. I was impressed at the tracking:

5369699912_08526e2546_b.jpg

Joe,

the tree is out of focus.

::exit:

I'm starting to think that they are pretty good at making primes ? :thinking:

Sigma primes are awesome, I've yet to see anyone actually state they were unhappy with QC in a prime rather than a zoom - and even that is rare rather than rumour or general 'I've heard people say....'

I'd quite like a trio of Sigma 1.4 primes - 30mm, 50mm and 85mm

I'll hold out on the 200mm, 300mm and 400mm f/1.4's ;)

Sigma primes are awesome, I've yet to see anyone actually state they were unhappy with QC in a prime rather than a zoom - and even that is rare rather than rumour or general 'I've heard people say....'

Here you go then. I had 2 copies of the 50 1.4 and sent them both back cause of focus issues. It does happen
The 85 looks like a great choice especially considering the relative cost of the new Nikon AF-S 85 1.4 (can't talk about canon though)

Had to send my 50mm 1.4 back first time as well, I think it happens commonly enough

Swings shots are so bloody hard. Well done.

Sigma lenses...... hmmmmm. I went through the old, do I buy Canon or do I buy a Sigma. I bought a Sigma 70-200 2.8. Really not that happy with it. Now have a Canon 70-200 2.8 II - A WORLD of difference. Having said that, my new rule of only buying Canon may not apply to primes!

Glad to see the thread has been moved :)

well the sigma 85 is a different focal length so gives different perspective, it's cab give less DOF tun a 50mm f1.8, it's built significantly better probably has better AF accuracy, better sharpness wide open better contrast. so while in this family snap shot there is not going to be a huge difference in other situations the sigma is better.

bomberman said:
I hate to be a cynic here, but you pay a lot of money to get from f/1.8 to f/1.4. I don't see anything this lens can do that my 50mm 1.8 can't. These shots aren't that great (sorry joe). they're point-and-shoot family snapshots. not compositionally excellent. Anyone who owns this lens could take these shots. sorry!

well

I actually still have access to my old nifty fifty as I gave it to my sister so when I get a chance I'll take the exact same photograph with both and we'll see the difference - of course the different focal length is going to mean that I either have to compose differently or have 2 different field of views

I'm not even a portrait photographer and I find myself wanting this lens.
I've only shot through large aperture primes a couple of times, but they are just so nice.

Last edited:
It does look very nice. I had to really hold my fingers on ebay. I was bidding on one of these and a Nikon 85mm f/1.8. Thankfully for my wallet, I won the Nikon, before the sigma ended. However, the sigma just has that "look" about it, the subject really pops out, which I think a portrait lens should do. The Nikon f/1.8 is nice and sharp, but it doesnt create that 3d effect. Even the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 cant get close to the sigma's creaminess.

As to the guy saying his 50mm 1.8 could do those shots...... Really? :shrug:
Ive had one and it never produced bokeh like this sigma does. I guess I had a bad copy. :bonk:

speaking of popping out the subject, take a look at this, it was very dull and dark day by the way. When you have a cluttered background like this popping the subject out is just the greatest with this lens

5370328534_a2b831e66a_b.jpg

speaking of popping out the subject, take a look at this, it was very dull and dark day by the way. When you have a cluttered background like this popping the subject out is just the greatest with this lens

Goddamn it, Unless you are going to buy me one, stop posting bloody pictures like that!

:LOL: :love:

The one beside it behind the girl looks a bit ford focus'y, and the red one on the left looks like a Seat somethingorother.

Bokeh is crap. We can't make out any of the cars accurately!

Sorry Joe - thread stolen again. Mods! ;)

lol, the red car is yet to be defined, but the others are for sure a focus and a clio! as they are sat outside my house right now

I can confirm the red car is a seat, not sure the model, its dark outside!

joescrivens said:
lol, the red car is yet to be defined, but the others are for sure a focus and a clio! as they are sat outside my house right now

Get in! I can recognize a blurry focus anywhere as my wife follows behind me in hers every morning to work!

joescrivens said:
I can confirm the red car is a seat, not sure the model, its dark outside!

Damn Im good!

Firstly to Joe, great pictures and beautiful family, I'm glad you are happy with the lens, it appears you have got a good one. However tempted I am with fast Sigma primes it is comments like THIS ONE that put me off buying.

One day soon I will buy a Sigma 30 1.4 I just hope that is it as good as Joe's lens and not one of the many that seem to be plagued by focusing problems. If only Canon made a decent 30/35mm fast prime that wasn't over £1000 or 20 years old!

I thought the red one was a SEAT Leon... iFail too, next time....please get rid of the bokeh :bonk:

PS don't like you...you got me looking at trying to get one of these lenses lol (joking btw lol)

lovely shot again :D

Firstly to Joe, great pictures and beautiful family, I'm glad you are happy with the lens, it appears you have got a good one. However tempted I am with fast Sigma primes it is comments like THIS ONE that put me off buying.

One day soon I will buy a Sigma 30 1.4 I just hope that is it as good as Joe's lens and not one of the many that seem to be plagued by focusing problems. If only Canon made a decent 30/35mm fast prime that wasn't over £1000 or 20 years old!

interesting, i thought this 85mm was going to be one of the sigmas that didnt have those focus issues, its one of the only lenses i have bought, third party or canone that required not one tiny microadjustment. Looks like the ongoing saga with qc continues for sigms

interesting, i thought this 85mm was going to be one of the sigmas that didnt have those focus issues, its one of the only lenses i have bought, third party or canone that required not one tiny microadjustment. Looks like the ongoing saga with qc continues for sigms

you know i wonder if the way in which sigma reverse engineers the canon af routines means that on some camera bodies/firmware versions what sigma lenses just misbehave in this way?

even on this forum, there are a bunch of people who tell similar stories and another bunch of people where the lens works absolutely flawlessly.

it just seems really strange.

lovely photos btw, Joe.

incidentally, the new crops added to the-digital-picture.com confirm that the Sigma 85 1.4 is actually sharper than the 85L and about the same as the Nikon 85 1.4 G wide open.

Observe:

Canon vs Sigma

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Nikon vs Sigma:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

It also seems to have less CA than both lenses, especially stopped down:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

you know i wonder if the way in which sigma reverse engineers the canon af routines means that on some camera bodies/firmware versions what sigma lenses just misbehave in this way?

even on this forum, there are a bunch of people who tell similar stories and another bunch of people where the lens works absolutely flawlessly.

it just seems really strange.

lovely photos btw, Joe.

I have to say, my gut instinct is to stick with Canon.

Then you are missing out.

I believe in buying the best lens (withing expenditure limits) regardless of the makers name. So far I've never had a single optical issue with any lens, and I own five Sigma's amongst my collection, but if I did get a duff lens I'd either swap it or get it adjusted under warranty.

Back