Sigma Docking Station..

Edit My Images
No
I bought one of these docking stations for my Sigma 35mm Art lens. The focal point was slightly off at certain apertures, so I thought it would be easier to buy one of these than to mess around self calibrating in camera. I plugged everything in and updated firmware, then unplugged it and the lens is fine now. I didn't have to adjust anything in the calibration menu. Did the firmware update calibrate the lens without my interference? If so, that was easier than i thought. Thanks for any input..

I bought one of these docking stations for my Sigma 35mm Art lens. The focal point was slightly off at certain apertures, so I thought it would be easier to buy one of these than to mess around self calibrating in camera. I plugged everything in and updated firmware, then unplugged it and the lens is fine now. I didn't have to adjust anything in the calibration menu. Did the firmware update calibrate the lens without my interference? If so, that was easier than i thought. Thanks for any input..

I have the same lens & have the same issue although mine only seems to be out 1.4 & 2 never really bothered me to be honest but if its as easy as this I might get a docking station after your post

The docking station is a must have for the new sigma lenses .especially on the longer lenses and always wise to check now and again for firmware updates

I have the same lens & have the same issue although mine only seems to be out 1.4 & 2 never really bothered me to be honest but if its as easy as this I might get a docking station after your post

Mine was slightly out at 1.4 and 2.8, but it was enough to bother me. It is perfect now and it was so easy to plug in, download the free app and follow the on screen instructions. I'd recommend it :)

Mine was slightly out at 1.4 and 2.8, but it was enough to bother me. It is perfect now and it was so easy to plug in, download the free app and follow the on screen instructions. I'd recommend it :)

I try not to let it bother me, I look at it like this, practise for the Zeiss lens I keep promising myself ! :D But a docking station is a damn site cheaper...

I have the 50mm Art too and although that seems to be spot on, I thought it's worth having the dock to update the firmware for both lenses, which reminds me, I haven't done the 50 yet.. :)

I find it easy with short prime 35mm and 50mm to do the calibration as it is only one focal lens and apart from the infinity the target have to be fairly close.
I have a 150-600 and that's a real pain. Turn out it's all good and didn't need calibration but calibrating at 4 different focal lens and at a distance between 2 and 15m is not that simple!

I find it easy with short prime 35mm and 50mm to do the calibration as it is only one focal lens and apart from the infinity the target have to be fairly close.
I have a 150-600 and that's a real pain. Turn out it's all good and didn't need calibration but calibrating at 4 different focal lens and at a distance between 2 and 15m is not that simple!
best bet is NOT to do it in the lens with the big lenses ,just in camera should be fine

With my 50mm i was so impressed with the simplicity and the result of the process.
My lens was grossly out and getting worth the further you go away.
After a quick calibration it is so sharp, really bit any other lens I have.

I'm very happy with my 150-600 straight out of the box, but i'd still want to try to super fine tune it and see if it is that spot on as i think. But you need big target, good tripod and the plentyness of space required which is at least 15m (and which i do not have in my garden!), be sure to be perpendicular to the target too!

Entirely the wrong way to m/a that lens ,ideally if you use the 150-600 to shoot small birds you want them to fill the frame to avoid cropping the picture .so using a graduated target the size of a sparrow you ideally want to be at a distance that the target fills the frame top to bottom .this will usually be around 20 to 30 feet away .i do mine indoors using the length of the hall and kitchen .that way you eliminate any breeze or athmospherics from the equation .just set it at 600mm and adjust as needed ..once dialled in check on live targets if possible both close and distant .
Having done mine and few friends lenses I know this method work far more reliably than using a target at distance

Entirely the wrong way to m/a that lens ,ideally if you use the 150-600 to shoot small birds you want them to fill the frame to avoid cropping the picture .so using a graduated target the size of a sparrow you ideally want to be at a distance that the target fills the frame top to bottom .this will usually be around 20 to 30 feet away .i do mine indoors using the length of the hall and kitchen .that way you eliminate any breeze or athmospherics from the equation .just set it at 600mm and adjust as needed ..once dialled in check on live targets if possible both close and distant .
Having done mine and few friends lenses I know this method work far more reliably than using a target at distance
Theres more than one way to skin a cat

do you have to do this at different lengths ??? or is the 600mm the only length that needs to be done.

do you have to do this at different lengths ??? or is the 600mm the only length that needs to be done.
Just at 600 worked for me . But alway double check on actual live targets

Back