Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

View attachment 10907

height wise its a decent fit, but length wise its abit to long, going to the edge of that raised bit, and the glass is abit higher than that. also with my screen protector being a little bit smaller than the screen, im going to need to use something to build it up so its level. id also want to remove the bulb protrusion thats top right of the frame

yep, thats better, but not cheap, think these cheaper ones can go for £6.50 from china, but no diopter adjustment, which my dad needs. dont think you can buy the frames by themselves either :(

i had thought about making a little box for storing the spare batteries that would go into a viewfinder for storage

yup, that does look nice. Seems odd to take a tiny camera and add so much to it - loupe, pocket-wizard, grip - but his shots are superb

The DPMs have a superb powertrain in the sensor+lens combination - but are packaged up in a humdrum antiquated saloon with a crude saggy suspension, misted up windscreen, and small fuel tank.

there not to bad, and there is the slr sigma's...

but they could do something amazing if they wanted...

The DPMs have a superb powertrain in the sensor+lens combination - but are packaged up in a humdrum antiquated saloon with a crude saggy suspension, misted up windscreen, and small fuel tank.
Maybe, but the end result is that they'd win a drag-race with a Ferrari :)

I think they are amazing but frustrating.

In sunshine I find the rear displays almost unusable at times. At one point on Friday last week on a mountainside I was using my jacket as a cape over the top of the camera while it was on a tripod in order to shade the display. Probably looked weird to any walkers spotting me.

The DPMs just scream out for a hinged/pivoting rear LCD and an EVF. Stick a handgrip on and make a bigger battery compartment.

But Sigma are just crazy - instead of turning a good camera into a great one - they go for a an odd physical restyle on the Quattro.

I would say however - despite the obvious flaws/niggles that the DPMs are brilliant little image capture machines. I've stopped carry two DSLRs when out and about - and carry the two DPMs in place of the second DSLR for general use, and often just the DPMs as walkabouts now.

idealy they would do a similer design to a nex6 or a lecia with a rangefinder or evf, or plain viewfinder, stick a flash in, more physical controls, tilty flippy screen and video that doesnt look like vhs.

I have a Nikon D300 with 17-55mm lens which I carry along with a Nikon 70-300mm lens in a Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag. However I now seem to be carrying my 3 Merrills along with some extra batteries in the same bag. They fit just fine. One thing was that I fitted each camera with the supplied strap which meant that they get a bit tangled up, so I have moved to using JJC wrist straps instead. The 3 cameras are very light to carry in this configuration.

maybe you should get a ultrawide lens, unless you need the better iso/focusing performance of the d300 and 17-55mm ?

aahhhhhh I really don't know what to do RE DP2m, there is nothing I immediately need, okay I would like to try my hand at a quadcopter and the £200 Kitchenaid pasta extruder is on mt list of things to buy but apart from that I am all good..

on one hand I love all 3 together and the IQ of them are jaw dropping amazing so to have that in all 3 lengths... on the other hand I can see the current 113 shutter count being the same in 6 months time..

:( :(

For Mac users there is an alternative to Sigma Pro Photo - it's not free (£50) but there is a free trial download (which watermarks the photos with their logo but is otherwise unrestricted). http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html Might be worth a go if you just want something to look at and modify Foveon raw files as it should be faster than the Sigma software? (I don't use a Mac so just guessing, but it's unlikely to be worse!)

And it is meant to do a very decent job on Fuji RAW files too if you are like me and have booth Sigma and Fuji gear.

aahhhhhh I really don't know what to do RE DP2m, there is nothing I immediately need, okay I would like to try my hand at a quadcopter and the £200 Kitchenaid pasta extruder is on mt list of things to buy but apart from that I am all good..

on one hand I love all 3 together and the IQ of them are jaw dropping amazing so to have that in all 3 lengths... on the other hand I can see the current 113 shutter count being the same in 6 months time..

:( :(

I've just printed by first Sigma DP2M shot. I am not sure I can see much difference at A4 size from my Fuji gear, but there is nothing to complain about either. I want to get into the habit of just having the Sigma with me always. I used to do this with an x100 but the focal length didn't suit me. The X-Pro1 and X-E2 are just too big to carry always.

I am still tempted by a DP3M but that would duplicate the Fuji+56mm and would probably just sit around. But I still keep checking listings, just in case.

I've just printed by first Sigma DP2M shot. I am not sure I can see much difference at A4 size from my Fuji gear, but there is nothing to complain about either. I want to get into the habit of just having the Sigma with me always. I used to do this with an x100 but the focal length didn't suit me. The X-Pro1 and X-E2 are just too big to carry always.

I am still tempted by a DP3M but that would duplicate the Fuji+56mm and would probably just sit around. But I still keep checking listings, just in case.

I sold the XPro-1 after doing side by side comparisons with the Sigma, probably(very normal for me) too hastily as the XPro-1 might have lacked IQ wise but it wasn't horrible.. knowing what I know now I would have kept the Xpro-1.. saying that I am enjoying the Nikon 1 for messing around always with me camera for pics and vids..

I have a few A3's printed from the Sigmas, I can tell the difference from any other A3 I have from any of the bayer sensor cameras they were taken with.

think it'll depend on subject, as bayer performance varies, and you could heavily crop and be fine with the sigma, and likely not with bayer

I sold the XPro-1 after doing side by side comparisons with the Sigma, probably(very normal for me) too hastily as the XPro-1 might have lacked IQ wise but it wasn't horrible.. knowing what I know now I would have kept the Xpro-1.. saying that I am enjoying the Nikon 1 for messing around always with me camera for pics and vids..

I have a few A3's printed from the Sigmas, I can tell the difference from any other A3 I have from any of the bayer sensor cameras they were taken with.

I do quite a bit of indoors natural light shooting with high-ish ISOs (say upto 2000) so the Sigma isn't always going to be a natural choice and the Fuji comes into it own. From looking at shots on the web, I think may natural style of shallow depth of field doesn't help the Sigmas much - sure, the bits in focus are sharper than with the Fuji but both do blur pretty well. I have some trips lined up where I will be doing landscapes/cityscapes where a larger f-stop will be called for. I'm hoping to see an edge for the Sigma(s) then. I will also try some A3 or larger prints.

Overall, I am very happy with the Sigma.

I was playing about with Iridient Developer so processed a few shots through it and SPP. The processing has big effects, even though I tried to do nothing more than tweak exposures and get white balance close. I am not sure I prefer one over the other after this initial play, especially once converted to B&W (via duChemin preset in Lightroom). Both of these are from SPP versions.

14160915355_26774330ce_b.jpg

14157569831_eeb6d78186_b.jpg

remmber you can twiddle with the rgb in spp, can give u some nice tones :)
nice shot btw :)

i think the leica monochrome would give you 2 extra megapixel, and lens with more personality/that leica look.

but it blows highlights *very* easily, and it needs pp work to get nice tones, better at high iso stuff tho i think

itll enable cleaner high iso black and whites, as the red and green channels have much more noise, so reducing those channels cleans up the picture well :)

Out of interest, with a 46mp sensor, how big are the raw files?

I've been contemplating a decent EVIL type camera to complement my DSLR set ups and I've been looking at these since the price drop.

Or an EOS M.

Back