Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

been messing around this morning with focal lengths on the XPro1, the 18mm is similar to the DP1 and the 35mm similar to the DP2 and I think I may benefit more from a DP1, trouble is I dont want to take anything away from the XPro1 which is why I chose the DP3 in the first place....... but I am just so darn addicted. :(

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3333869 the last post there lists a bunch of compatible batterys

we/ve got a screw on teleconverter from panasonic which is actually damn good, so i can get similer to dp3 focal length, but it will mess with close focusing, think it pretty much doubles minium focus distance.

finding a good wide adapter is way harder though.

other thing too is, digital zoom/cropping with this is fine, so damn sharp :D

I received the GGS screen protector from Amazon.

The packaging has the legend "DC LCD SCREEN PROTECTOR" on it withe a G logo and GGS top left.

It's described as "3.0" over the screen protector.

The size inside the thin surround is exactly the same as the viewable area of the DPM's LCD. There is no margin for error in positioning.

The bezel has a silver inner finish with GGS branding. I think it makes it more difficult to position,

if you don't get the screen positioned exactly right then it will overlap the LCD - there is almost zero margin for error. An extra mm or two would have made it easier. Trying to lift the screen to reposition it slightly caused the glue to smear over the LCD.

It's hard to remove the mess that results. It can't be rubbed off gently. A little isopropyl alcohol did the trick.

My feeling is that the size is too tight and the silver bezel makes it hard to position. Trying to reposition it risks smearing the LCD with gunk.

So not recommended I'm afraid.

I have GGS screen on one of my DSLRs and it was easy to just lift slightly and reposition - unlike the 'DC' version. The adhesive strip on the edges didn't leave any residue.

Last edited:
Cheers Andrew very helpfull mate and no doubt saved a few people some grief,just a shame you had to find out the hard way

I discovered while hunting about I had an older spare screen protector for my A700 which I had purchased as a spare about 3 years ago and forgotten about. Now kicking myself that I hadn't come across it earlier.

GGS "DC Professional LCD Screen Protector" for Sony A700.

This is the one that seemed to have the easier to manage adhesive than the one I had a problem with.

And it just fits. The width of the bezel on the left hand side is marginal. It almost overlaps the raised left hand section of the LCD. The continuous black surround looks better. The adhesive - at least on this one seems rather kinder and more manageable.

It looks like it's just under 1mm longer and wider in terms of the visible area. It's not quite a perfect fit but I'm happy with it. Looks OK to me.

This one on Amazon: "http://www.amazon.co.uk/Screen-Protector-Sony-alpha-A700/dp/B004VC3FDW" looks the same though the packaging says "Digital Camera" instead of DC. But the "PEDZ-1-2006" code top right is the same as mine.

Last edited:
there a rigid screen arent they? rather than the phone/tablet film type

if we keep our sigma (depends how much dad likes it) want to get one of those dslr video/liveview eye cup thingies

lol..yep still in its brown box as I type.I am a plasterer and I am caked in dust and plaster so not opening until I am all clean!:cool:
Yeah must admit I did think of getting the dp1m to complete the trilogy!:banana:

interesting how the dp3 has slightly bigger box, guess cos the lens is slightly bigger...

not had a dispatch email from clifton camera's, might ring them tomorrow

Right this thread seriously needs some piics.I am going to try and get out with mine at the weekend as long as sun is shining and nothing moves to fast should get one or two!:D

I am contemplating shooting more wide angle stuff so think the dp1m may come in handy:oops: :$

Christ that's a hateful site!
Not seeing the EXIF info Stuart, and the Safari plug-in isn't pulling it up, so either Flickr hides it from casual browsers or it's been stripped.

Last edited:
I think 1/30th for the big lad and 1/3 for the bulldog on the sofa,but did use my little manfrotto pixie on a chair for that one.
The obligatory heavy crop...nice lashes eh!:naughty:

untitled-0012-2
by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Turns out it was AdBlock which despised Flickr – bit of tweaking what's considered an ad, and I can see it now.

Last edited:
:D
Have you looked into the sigma close up filters and the marumi for the dp3,look quite impressive

Back