Signature

I think its a silly rule TBH. No where else does it.

Why should you need so many characters in your post to make your signature show?? :shrug:

we did it because sometimes you get a few posts with
Great, High or Welcome! as the post, 10 posts like that load up nice and quick, but with sig pics and long sigs, the posts are lost in the flood, so a 30 character limit is applied, with a couple of other minor things.

we did it because sometimes you get a few posts with
Great, High or Welcome! as the post, 10 posts like that load up nice and quick, but with sig pics and long sigs, the posts are lost in the flood, so a 30 character limit is applied, with a couple of other minor things.

Makes sense I suppose :shrug: . So there is work done behind the scenes then Matty :D ?

only on a thursday, and never after 9am

I don't think it does work. What you should do instead is limit peoples signature sizes if you are concerned about bandwidth. Makes so much more sense.

Your rule is confusing an not practical IMHO

Its nothing to do with bandwidth :)

It's merely to keep the visual flow of the forum. Like matty says, if we have signatures showing on every single post, then the posts can easily become lost inbetween signatures.

I used to frequent the Delphi forums alot a few years ago, and they were a perfect example of this, every post had a signature, and they didn't limit it either, so you ended up with sometimes 1 or 2 posts per page, and it took an age to scroll through a few posts.

It's also partly to do with SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). The more outbound links we have (especially if they're irrelevant), it can affect our search engine rankings, so rather than have signatures turned off, or restrict what people can put in them, we just limit the amount of times they show.

We also get spammers putting a link to their site (Nothing to do with photography) in their signature, then going round posting very small but topical replies (Like matty said), as a way of getting exposure all over the forum. So the word count rule is a way round that.

We can't please everyone, but if we turned signatures off, then people would complain. If we allowed a free for all on signatures, then people would find it difficult reading the forum and would just end up going elsewhere.
This way, we try and have a healthy balance :)

The signatures work just fine here IMHO. Nice and uncluttered (y) I've seen some forums where the signatures just take over, esp when animation is allowed in them. Pleeeese never allow animated signatures ;)

:agree:

All those flashing lights and colors. Think of the epileptics!

I like it as it is :) if you post more than a few words then you get your sig ( and links;)) showing.
Makes the board a good read. (y)(y)

Personally I find it a strange rule that defeats the whole point of having a signature.

There are times I read a person's post and wonder whether they have a web site, but there is no signature and I have no idea whether it is because they do not have one or the forum rules are not displaying it.

The argument in favour of having gear lists (beyond bragging) is that it makes it easier when answering a question or offering advice.

Others use them to sign their name so they do not have to do it in each post.

A reasonable character limit and not allowing images would keep the flow of the forum while striking a fair balance with users. Other forums are like this, and it does not damage their search engine rankings given nearly every photography search I do one of them always appears on the first page of results.

The way signatures are used now they would be better left out and have just let people use it to customize their profile page without any limits.

Michael.

gearlists are something we are looking at, to add to bit under your avatar, or perhaps to the users profile

Personally I find it a strange rule that defeats the whole point of having a signature.

There are times I read a person's post and wonder whether they have a web site, but there is no signature and I have no idea whether it is because they do not have one or the forum rules are not displaying it.

The argument in favour of having gear lists (beyond bragging) is that it makes it easier when answering a question or offering advice.

Others use them to sign their name so they do not have to do it in each post.

A reasonable character limit and not allowing images would keep the flow of the forum while striking a fair balance with users. Other forums are like this, and it does not damage their search engine rankings given nearly every photography search I do one of them always appears on the first page of results.

The way signatures are used now they would be better left out and have just let people use it to customize their profile page without any limits.

Michael.

agreed. They should be either on so people can see them or off for purposes thats been mentioned.
It is rather pointless i have to post a certain amount of characters to get my sig to show.
Limited text and small jpg only sigs by the members wouldnt break the flow of the forum. How do all these others forums get on?

agreed. They should be either on so people can see them or off for purposes thats been mentioned.
It is rather pointless i have to post a certain amount of characters to get my sig to show.
Limited text and small jpg only sigs by the members wouldnt break the flow of the forum. How do all these others forums get on?

im not bothered how all the other forums get on, weve had this rule since before DummyDay, it aint broke, so i see no reason to tinker with it..when we have extended profiles then all the information people can have will be a click away, as well as the content of their sig, when it shows, of course. ;)

Back