SilentGoddess's Photo 52 for 2011 - Week 11 Re-shoot and Knowledge (NOW added)

Name
Rayna
Edit My Images
No
This is the first time I had to think about a picture on specific theme and respectively is one of my first photos with my new DLRS. I hope my little experiment is alright for a first try.

My idea of the Accommodation is around the chick still in the egg. So the egg in a way is temporary accommodation whilst the nest will be the permanent home. The set up might be little bit poor but as I said I am new to DSLR and working on projects and my arsenal of tools is still small.

Critique and comments are welcome and highly appreciated.

WEEK%201%202011%20-%20ACCOMODATION%20NIGHT%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
@Mentalblock: Thanks for the comment. I was looking for a bit of a midnight look, as if found in the garden.... But I have played a bit and the light result is just bellow. Do you think it's better?
WEEK%201%202011%20-%20ACCOMODATION%20NIGHT.jpg

Hiya Rayna,

I like the idea you have come up with for this theme, well done.

Have to agree the first pic looks a bit dark and is definitely improved with more light.

This would be a great idea for Easter :)

Good luck with the rest of your 52, I look forward to seeing the photos.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Original idea, I liked it. And the little chick made me laugh. :)

Great shots. I like the second one best for week one - great composition - made me smile.:)
Really like the 'bean' shot, spot on theme and again a nice composition.

Hiya Rayna,

Great take on the theme for week 2. Love the composition and the background compliments the image well.

I think the white looks a bit too bright though.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with next week.

Well done.

Cheers

Nice Idea and nicely shot (y)

Thank you all for the comments.

@ Dawn: I know the white is a bit bright but the problem is that the root is not solid white. It has some transparency which leads to the excessive lighting. Also I believe that the texture of the root makes the light to make it glow a bit. I am not sore how to correct it without making it unnatural. Maybe I'll have to try to process just the root...Hmm....

Both pictures are great, week one made me chuckle and i prefer the lighter version, just gives the shot more definition. Week two is well captured, the lighting works well :)

This is my Week 3 photo. A bit late I know but I wanted to try this idea I had and I had to be at home to do it. Anyway...

My idea was to try drops on dusty surface and arrange them in some type of pendant shape. The lighting is so dark and gloomy because I wanted to make it as if the pendant was found in some dusty place.

I wasn't home so I had to be quick with the test shots to be able to post the photo ASAP. This is my best try!

C&C are welcome.

IMG_4324.JPG

#1, the copyright really spoils it for me. I'd like to see a crop left and right, but a nice cute photograph.

#2, is my favourite and I like to composition. The few scuffs on the table are a bit distracting.

#3, good depth and well thought out.

Cheers.

Hiya Rayna,

Wow! I really like your week 3 - Style image, the colours, DOF, shape, contrast, base and background all work for me (y)

I know you gave a bit of a description of how you created this image, very creative btw, and to me it looks like a sequin design on a type of cosy fabric. What wonders one can produce!

I like the lighting, it creates an almost natural vignette around the image.

How on earth did you get such perfect drops? Please share your secret with us.

I love the thought you have put into this, it must have taken some time, and it is very well executed.

Also what liquid and colourant did you use for the drops. Plus where did you get the dust? Did you empty the contents of the hoover? :LOL:

You have really got my mind going as to how you created this image, so any sharing of the idea you wish to impart would be greatly appreciated as I would love to try something like this myself (I have a hoover full of dust at the mo, just waiting for such a shot :LOL:)

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for week 5 and so far I am impressed with the progress you are making with this challenge.

Well Done :clap:

Cheers

Thanks Dawn!
I think I have to experiment more with the concept because there are many things I want to improve, bit it was good first try. The biggest challenge for me was the lighting because I don't have any good light source (flashgun, photographic lamps , etc) so I had to wait for a sunny day :LOL: And the most of the lighting effects was done in Photoshop.

Anyway... to answer your questions:
Where did you get the dust?
It is simple cooking flour dusted on a plate using a sieve. I'm sorry to disappoint you for the vacuum dust. :p But to be honest I think it will give better result than the flouer regarding water resistance. Just use a face mask if you go for that option.

How on earth did you get such perfect drops?
I knew that liquids tend to stay on the top of very dusty surface. The finer and denser the dust the longer the liquid can stay and the better the drop shape will be. Obliviously the flour absorbs water so if you use water or similar liquid you need to be fast with the photos. You can use thicker liquids (my green-yellow drop is washing liquid) for slower absorption rate, if any. In few words the secret to good drops are: thicker liquid, fine dust on a thick enough layer and drop the liquid as close to the surface as possible. I have used soaked cotton with the coloured water and the bottle nozzle for the washing liquid to place the drops.

Also what liquid and colourant did you use for the drops.
I think I already answered but... Two liquids: water and washing fluid. The colouring is simple food coloring from Tesco.

I hope it help as guidance! I you have any more questions you are welcome!

Rayna

Thanks Dawn!
I think I have to experiment more with the concept because there are many things I want to improve, bit it was good first try. The biggest challenge for me was the lighting because I don't have any good light source (flashgun, photographic lamps , etc) so I had to wait for a sunny day :LOL: And the most of the lighting effects was done in Photoshop.

Anyway... to answer your questions:
Where did you get the dust?
It is simple cooking flour dusted on a plate using a sieve. I'm sorry to disappoint you for the vacuum dust. :p But to be honest I think it will give better result than the flouer regarding water resistance. Just use a face mask if you go for that option.

How on earth did you get such perfect drops?
I knew that liquids tend to stay on the top of very dusty surface. The finer and denser the dust the longer the liquid can stay and the better the drop shape will be. Obliviously the flour absorbs water so if you use water or similar liquid you need to be fast with the photos. You can use thicker liquids (my green-yellow drop is washing liquid) for slower absorption rate, if any. In few words the secret to good drops are: thicker liquid, fine dust on a thick enough layer and drop the liquid as close to the surface as possible. I have used soaked cotton with the coloured water and the bottle nozzle for the washing liquid to place the drops.

Also what liquid and colourant did you use for the drops.
I think I already answered but... Two liquids: water and washing fluid. The colouring is simple food coloring from Tesco.

I hope it help as guidance! I you have any more questions you are welcome!

Rayna

OMG Rayna, thanks for that expo, brilliant and very scientific I love it! You remind me of 'Nina and the Neurons' on kids TV :LOL: Just my kind of thinking (y)

I can see what you mean about the sifted flour, hence why I think some dust from the vac may be perfect for the job (thank for the H&S tip about the mask :D), but if you think about it, the content of a vac, although not as appealing, may be more resistant to absorbsion, especially if there are micro fibres from a carpet, which could add a bit of a different take to the image :thinking: Definitely something I will give a try some time.

I suppose one could try a variety of base materials, sugar being one, because the drops would disperse creating a different shape than a perfect 'blob' for want of a better word. And perhaps one could capture some of the texture in the actual sugar crystal formation.

A technique worthy of experimenting with. Thank you.

Now I am really looking forward to seeing what you produce for week 5. Still 2 more sleeps to go until we find out what it is ..... I'm chomping on the bit already :LOL:

Cheers

Hiya Rayna,

Well done on the take for this week. What a lovely flower and such beautiful colours. Nice DOF and the background compliments the image well.

Cheers

Hi Rayna,
Beautiful flower shot the colours and composition are spot on - makes me think that spring can't be too far away now:)

Thank you for the comments! I had problems thinking what to shoot and then the one of my hyacinth bulbs showed its first flowers. Bingo!

@sparrow: Oh I wish for the spring to be just around the corner but I think we'll have to wait a bit!

rayna,

great hand shot....good idea for the theme. I can see good focus on the skin and lighting brings out great skin colour... (y) .. but if the image is to look awesome, then *** might mention the hands not being quite symmetrical in holding the polish. your right hand appears slightly more open....

BUT.. i love the colour of the polish. ;)

I like your idea's for your weekly photo's. I like the chick on that egg (y)

The lighthing and style, yeah definitely very nice :clap:

The lighthing and style, yeah definitely very nice.

:agree:

Hi Rayna.
I like your take on theme for HARD.
The background colour works really well in the image although if I am permitted to be picky it looks a little patchy in places.
The composition is great. I bet it took some cropping to get the symmetry so good.
Great image, with nice contrasts

Looking back at your other weeks, I see you have a creative flair. Nice one

Martin:clap:

Thank you all for the comments!
@ SamuelSlade007: I saw that my hands are asymmetrical but it was quite hard to pres the shutter button and then in 10 seconds to compose them. I will try again to make them symmetrical.

@ Marts: I know the background is not perfect but is the best I have at the moment. I could improve if in Photoshop but I wanted to limit its use on that photo. Regarding the cropping, no it was just a very small amount (even I would have to say I was fussy about it) just on the top and right side.

Thank you all for the comments!
@ SamuelSlade007: I saw that my hands are asymmetrical but it was quite hard to pres the shutter button and then in 10 seconds to compose them. I will try again to make them symmetrical.
i admit its a compromise... i do love the photo.. i've only just tried macro this evening so i had no idea how tough focusing and composition for such a style is.... (y) ;)

Back