Silly question re Lencarta Safari Li-on

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

I'm just mulling over ordering one of the twin heavy duty head kits, and before I do I just have one (probably) silly question.

Looking on the website at the various images I am confusing myself I think, I know with one head plugged in you have a 600ws max light, and with two heads you get one at 400ws max and one at 200ws max, which I understand totally. My question is, with two heads fitted, can you control power output of each light independently? Or, is any adjustment of power just global (so if you turn the power down both heads are affected and the ratio stays the same)

I have read all the descriptions and looked at the images and I still can't seem to see the answer and it's puzzleing me :shrug:

Many thanks in advance,

Ste

With 2 heads fitted, it's a fixed 2:1 ratio.
With 1 head fitted, it can be fitted to either socket A (600 Ws or 400Ws max., and in socket B it's 200Ws max, and both sockets can be adjusted down to 1/16th of full power.

With rare and expensive exceptions, that's how this type of flash generator always works. True independent control is very expensive.

In the real world though, it doesn't really matter because that theoretical 2:1 ratio only happens when both flash heads are fitted with identical modifiers at identical distances from flash to subject, and that just doesn't happen.

That's the good news. The bad news though is that we are struggling to keep up with demand, and orders placed now may not be filled until mid September.

No There is only one power setting which controls both heads together.

Mike

I use mainly speedlites for my lighting, occassionally I use studio flash. What's the thinking behind not being able to control each head independently then? It seems 'wrong' to me and very limiting, although I realise in practice people who use these types of portable kits do just fine I would like to get my feeble mind around it before I buy one :thinking:

With 2 heads fitted, it's a fixed 2:1 ratio.
With 1 head fitted, it can be fitted to either socket A (600 Ws or 400Ws max., and in socket B it's 200Ws max, and both sockets can be adjusted down to 1/16th of full power.

With rare and expensive exceptions, that's how this type of flash generator always works. True independent control is very expensive.

In the real world though, it doesn't really matter because that theoretical 2:1 ratio only happens when both flash heads are fitted with identical modifiers at identical distances from flash to subject, and that just doesn't happen.

That's the good news. The bad news though is that we are struggling to keep up with demand, and orders placed now may not be filled until mid September.

Sorry Garry I posted a reply before you did. Thanks both for your answers.

I'm used to completely independent control for all my lights of course so this seems to be a limiting feature. That said I know how good the kits are and I know everyone who uses one has only high praise for them, so I'm thinking I just need to think differently about my lighting if I get one.

Shame about the availability though!

You can of course move heads backwards and forwards, that adjusts the power :)
Mike

Yes, that I guess is the method of adjustment! Unless of course you are in a tight spot in which case you might struggle but I doubt it would be an issue in reality.

Also - "at the price, buy two"

Are you kidding :puke: it's taken me over a year to save enough for one kit!

Well yes, it's a lot of money if it isn't earning its keep - but having 2 is the way that most people go. Quite a few customers have bought one, then bought another 3 or 4.

I used the Safari Classic for years, which is a fixed 50/50 split. The Li-on is far more flexible

Yes, now I've thought about it properly I get it. I wasn't suggesting it wasn't flexible, rather to someone who is used to using mainly speedlites it seemed to be a limiting factor but I no longer feel that way about it.

It's totally irrelevant now though, given that nobody can supply me a kit! I'll have to stick with what I have as I'm not prepared to give anyone a grand of my hard earned and not receive anything for months.

If it was a one off shoot, I'd have loaned you mine. Unfortunately, mines in use most days, so an extended loan period is impractical.

Hi Michael, thanks for the sentiment! However I don't really like borrowing gear, especially expensive stuff! Also, of course, it was never really just the one shoot, I've got at least five car shoots in my book for this next month plus I'm working on my personal project. I can get by with my speedlites, I was just after some extra power.

Back