Silver Efex Pro by Nik Software

Better not get the trial of Viveza then... ;) :D

Shushhhhh....... fingers in ears............

I am saving now to upgrade my D200 to a D300..... Probably get £550 with the grip and £750 for a good D300 so need £200. Just spent half of that but its worth it. Hopefully next month :)

Would it not have been better to buy the complete collection:

'The Complete Collection includes all of Nik Software’s latest award-winning plug-in software titles for Aperture™ or Lightroom® including: Dfine® 2.0, Viveza® 2, Color Efex Pro™ 3.0, Silver Efex Pro™, and Sharpener Pro™ 3.0.'

$299.95 =£191.704 GBP

Would it not have been better to buy the complete collection:

'The Complete Collection includes all of Nik Software’s latest award-winning plug-in software titles for Aperture™ or Lightroom® including: Dfine® 2.0, Viveza® 2, Color Efex Pro™ 3.0, Silver Efex Pro™, and Sharpener Pro™ 3.0.'

$299.95 =£191.704 GBP

I know, just chatting about doing this....

I have tried Silver Efex Pro, but for the type of BW I'm after I find the BW filter in Nik Color Efex works just superbly

Rgds.

I have used dfine, color effects pro and silver effects pro.

Mine were purchased a couple of years ago, so I don't think they are as slick as the current versions.

As with most plug-ins, they have their uses, but all need a gentle touch, as it's so easy to go OTT with most of them.

The color effects pro....my favourite filters are the landscape filter, it's can give a lovely natural warmth to an image, it seems a lot more intuitive than CS4's 'photo filters'

I also use the darken/lighten centre sometimes on portraits.

Dfine is less used, as I quite like the noise reduction in CS4, although if I ever need selective noise reduction I sometimes use it as you can selectively 'brush' noise reduction.

Silver effects pro I use, it's got a nice range, and plenty of individual adjustments to produce very pleasing B&W (and variant) effects.

I know, just chatting about doing this....

Hang on... when you click buy now it goes to the euro site so you have to pay in euro's!!!!!! That means it's £174 bum!

I suspect that silver efex pro will be available as a plug in for NX2 soon (heard a rumble via Nikonians site!?)

So if anyone has NX2 like me, it might be worth waiting.

TaffyTim

OK I have now bought it and i had to buy the photoshop version then use the serial for Lightroom. It works in both WOO HOO!!(y)

Buy it. It's one of the best thing in my armory.

This is the last shot I used the Nik Silver flex software on
4360410002_6d190f664a.jpg

I love all the Nik filters and use them a lot :) I love dfine for noise reduction and the effects in viveza are great and can always be backed off a bit.

This one
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

is the midnight filter but backed off a little bit and some of the effect erased off the model herself.

So rather than painting ON an effect I sometimes use the fill followed by erasing :)

I love all the Nik filters and use them a lot :) I love dfine for noise reduction and the effects in viveza are great and can always be backed off a bit.

This one
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

is the midnight filter but backed off a little bit and some of the effect erased off the model herself.

So rather than painting ON an effect I sometimes use the fill followed by erasing :)

Wow Bouncy,

that is a great looking photo.

well done

I downloaded the demos of Silver Efex Pro and Color Efex Pro for Aperture.

Really like them both and will definitely be getting them. Color Efex Pro has a B&W option but Silver Efex is far more flexible.

So no doubt a daft question, but what does CEP3 do that Viveza 2 doesn't and vice versa? They both look fairly similar to me.

YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!

When I first bought Silver EFEX I didn't have CS3 or 4 so I purchased the LR2 version. This was ok but I've had CS4 for a few months now and everytime I've wanted to convert an image to b&w I've had to open the RAW file in LR2 and then work it in Silver EFEX from there.

Based on what I've been reading I went back to the Nik Software website and re-downloaded the trial for CS4. Once downloaded I input my original product-key from last May - and it worked a treat. So now I can edit my images in CS4 without the hassle of going into LR2 etc (which I found very slow tbh).

Nice one!!!! (y)

I'm so happy - here's another fave from last year..........

3668852408_27ebee89ee.jpg

Based on what I've been reading I went back to the Nik Software website and re-downloaded the trial for CS4. Once downloaded I input my original product-key from last May - and it worked a treat. So now I can edit my images in CS4 without the hassle of going into LR2 etc (which I found very slow tbh).

It was one of those moments :thinking:

It will not work on Photoshop 64bit only 32 so not sure about Lightroom. Worth checking.

That's true, it won't work in win 64bit only on 32bit, but there is a workaround.

When you install CS4 on a 64bit machine, it also installs a 32 bit version (in the x86 folder ...."C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4)

Which you can run in 32 bit mode, and install the nik plug-ins.

So if I ever want to use the plug-ins, I'll shut down my normal 64bit CS4 and open the 32bit CS4 to use.

Superb images being posted! I don't know what the software does to make it look so good but it really does put the icing on the cake, no matter how good the cake is!!! :D

That's true, it won't work in win 64bit only on 32bit, but there is a workaround.

When you install CS4 on a 64bit machine, it also installs a 32 bit version (in the x86 folder ...."C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4)

Which you can run in 32 bit mode, and install the nik plug-ins.

So if I ever want to use the plug-ins, I'll shut down my normal 64bit CS4 and open the 32bit CS4 to use.

Just to confirm that it works in 32 and 64 bit mode under MacOS....

How do I enable 64-bit Darren?

Every time I right click on the photo and click 'edit with plug-in' it has (32-bit) and needs to restart Aperture in to x86 mode. :(

How do I enable 64-bit Darren?

Every time I right click on the photo and click 'edit with plug-in' it has (32-bit) and needs to restart Aperture in to x86 mode. :(

One off force into 64 bit mode:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1823940&postcount=589

64 bit activity monitor:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1850123&postcount=611

Permanent force into 64 bit mode:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1850239&postcount=612

What computer do you have? What is it's model specifier?

Go to About this mac >>> More Info.....

In the right hand plane you should see "model identifier" and something like "macbookpro4.1"

Ah, so I need to reboot the Mac into the 64-bit kernel?

Model Identifier says Macbook pro 5.2, so it can boot 64-bit.

I was hoping I could force the plug in to run 64-bit mode under the regular kernel.

Ah, so I need to reboot the Mac into the 64-bit kernel?

Model Identifier says Macbook pro 5.2, so it can boot 64-bit.

I was hoping I could force the plug in to run 64-bit mode under the regular kernel.

There is no point. The 64bit Kernel will run everything anyway. Mine has been in full 64bit mode since snow leopard came out. Mine is the macbookpro4.1 so if mine does it yours will. Apple default all laptops to 32bit kernel. Just tick the box and reboot.

Well, I tried booting to the 64-bit kernel by holding down the 6 and 4 keys at bootup. After hanging at the grey screen for a few minutes it ended up saying 'no bootable devices detected'.

I had to put the SL DVD in and boot from the HDD or it just wasn't having it. Think I'm gonna back this thing up, wipe it and start again. A week old computer should have these problems. :(

Back