Silverstone Classic 2016

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I made my first trip down to Silverstone at the weekend for the Classic, it's one of those big meetings that I needed to get to at some point, and I certainly wasn't disappointed.
Usually, I have a few compositions in mind when I head to a track, but Silverstone left me a bit cold when I was planning and as I turned up on Saturday morning I was lost for ideas.
It's not the most photogenic circuit, but I didn't think it was as bad as I had imagined.
The classic is an awesome meeting, the size and depth of the grids is right up there with the best of them.
I tried to put my own stamp on the circuit, trying out a few different compositions etc, so I hope theyve worked as well as I hoped!

1) Group C March 85G racing into the sunset.
Silverstone Classic 2016 by Matty, on Flickr

2) The loud end of the mindblowing Matra V12
[url=https://flic.kr/p/JNuWD4]Silverstone Classic 2016 by Matty, on Flickr[/URL]

3) Ex Mika Hakkinen Mclaren, which again sounded utterly awesome

4) More Group C - All the fun of the fair

5) I had to factor that wing into my shots at some point

6) MG checking the mirrors

7) Probably one of my favourite liveries ever. It was so good to finally get the opportunity to shoot this amazing car.

8) About the only shot I had pre-planned. A 1/20 pan at Copse

Thanks for looking. All C&C welcome, and if anyone is interested, there's more in my Flickr set https://flic.kr/s/aHskDXmqhW

Last edited:

Very cool image manipulations and renditions! (y)

Another great set from you Matty. Are you at Croft over the weekend for the Nostalgia Festival ?

Nice work Matty :) 1,4,5,8 for me overall, but a great experimental set... Good to see Silverstone through different eyes :D

Different being the operative word haha! Cheers Jonny, I enjoyed shooting somewhere new, and hopefully put my own spin on the circuit.

Really like #2

Thank you, it was a really hard shot to nail. 1/20 at 400mm, plus the incredible sound of the Matra V12 screaming at me. It was my car of the weekend I think, so I'm glad to have got a shot I am happy with of it.

Very cool image manipulations and renditions! (y)

Thanks very much Kodiak, glad that you like them!

Another great set from you Matty. Are you at Croft over the weekend for the Nostalgia Festival ?

Thanks Brian, thats really appreciated. I would be at Croft under normal circumstances, as its only a couple of miles from my house, but I am over in Finland for a few days, so I won't be going. It's about the only historic meeting that I havent done yet in the UK, so it really needs ticking off!!

I'd be pleased with any of them - good stuff!

Great set, nice light in 1, with 5 being my fave.

Thanks Paul, it was a great event, and racing into the evening offered up some real fun light to work with!

"Oh My" Those are just fab !

Gaz

Haha, thank you very much Gary, I always enjoy visiting a circuit for the first time and seeing what I can make of it.

Love the compositions in some of these shots Matty especially 5 nice work

Cheers buddy, it's not the easiest place to make a composition, but its good fun exploring a new place. Glad they work for you mate

I'd be pleased with any of them - good stuff!

Really kind of you to say so, thanks a lot Malcom

Great pics #2 my fav

Cheers Sean, 2 is one of my favourites from the event, it was a super tough shot to nail.

Good work Matty, nice compositions and use of the backgrounds.

Backgrounds.....what backgrounds haha! Thank you Neil, thoroughly enjoyed the event.

A very cool set Matty, I really enjoyed looking through over on Flickr where you have tried many varied compositions and caught some pretty decent flame outs too ! The guy in #3 races at our local kart track during the winter, he brings the whole team down with him !

Haha, thank you very much Gary, I always enjoy visiting a circuit for the first time and seeing what I can make of it.
Ha ! If I visited some where like this a 1000 times my results would be nothing like this fella :)

Gaz

A very cool set Matty, I really enjoyed looking through over on Flickr where you have tried many varied compositions and caught some pretty decent flame outs too ! The guy in #3 races at our local kart track during the winter, he brings the whole team down with him !

Thanks very much Paul, Im glad you enjoyed looking over the set. I tried to push to see what compositions could be wrung out of Silverstone, at the detriment of pit/driver shots though. Having prepared myself for a boring weekend in terms of shots, I came home pretty pleased to be fair.
The guy in 3 is a motorsport journo I think, he was driving that thing like he stole it though. It was so good to hear that V10 screaming.

Ha ! If I visited some where like this a 1000 times my results would be nothing like this fella :)

Gaz

Thats really kind mate, but I'm sure that you'd go about it in your own way and come home with some pleasing stuff too!!

Figured as I've finished running them through lightroom, I'd throw a few more up for people to check. These are all on the 'marmitey' side ]

9) 1/20 pans around a blind bend at full chat. Tough to get right

10) Bridging the gap

11) Meltdown

12) Searching for angles

13) Cough, Bang, Splutter

14) Lighting up a Silk Cut
Silverstone Classic 2016 by Matty, on Flickr\

15) Silliness

16) Old Timer does Driftworks

Cheers

The guy in 3 is a motorsport journo I think, he was driving that thing like he stole it though. It was so good to hear that V10 screaming.

He's the United Autosport co-owner American entrepreneur Zak Brown, this is one of his toys, he has many !

Some fantastic work on here. 1 and 5 are fantastic not that the others are far behind!

He's the United Autosport co-owner American entrepreneur Zak Brown, this is one of his toys, he has many !

I just looked at the United Autosport website. That was a mistake. What I would give to shoot that garage. He was wringing the neck of that Mclaren. Hearing it opening up out of Woodcote on the Sunday was perfection!

Some fantastic work on here. 1 and 5 are fantastic not that the others are far behind!

Thanks Graham, really appreciate that. I think I am starting to get my head around the slow pans at 400mm which is something that ive been working on the past couple of events. Appreciate your comments!

Haha cheers Paul, I've been out the country, so I've not had time to check the link yet, thank you though! Can't believe anyone would want to see my blurry nonsense!!

Superb set, and some of the ones on the Motorsport magazine website are even better IMO.

2 & 10 if I had to choose.

Thank you very much, I tried to get a decent set for my first trip to Silverstone, for sure, now I know a little more about the circuit, I'd hope to go back and do a better job. Much appreciated!

Hahaha knew you'd nail it :D congrats on the recognition!!!!!

Cheers dude, really appreciate that coming from you. I'll back away from Silverstone now though for a while and leave it to you seasoned pro's

Great work Matty, fantastic colours in number one. Set on Flickr is great as well.

Thanks very much Martin, its a real treat to be able to shoot into the evening, I wish there was more opportunity to do this! Pleased you like the set dude!

Cheers dude, really appreciate that coming from you. I'll back away from Silverstone now though for a while and leave it to you seasoned pro's

Hahaha Seasoned pro my ass... I'm just a local that hangs out at Silverstone too much, you've done a good Job and as I said before it's nice to see the place with fresh eyes :D Besides - im taking up landcapes, please forward all your exact landscape shot locations to my inbox ;)

Hahaha Seasoned pro my ass... I'm just a local that hangs out at Silverstone too much, you've done a good Job and as I said before it's nice to see the place with fresh eyes :D Besides - im taking up landcapes, please forward all your exact landscape shot locations to my inbox ;)

Haha, I mainly shoot landscapes in the North of Siberia. Enjoy your trip :LOL:
Thanks though dude, I appreciate it. I would definitely like to make a return to Silverstone, Maybe for the WEC next year, or something similar.

Some stonking shots in here mate! #1 and #13 in particular stand out for me, but some others to be proud of too. Not sure on some of the blurry marmite stuff but I can understand you wanting to mix it up, it's Silverstone after all and not easy to work with! But a crowd certainly helps and that's what makes #4 for me too :)

Some stonking shots in here mate! #1 and #13 in particular stand out for me, but some others to be proud of too. Not sure on some of the blurry marmite stuff but I can understand you wanting to mix it up, it's Silverstone after all and not easy to work with! But a crowd certainly helps and that's what makes #4 for me too :)

Thanks very much dude, appreciated. I am a fan of the slow shutter stuff myself, but I am well aware that this doesn't go down well with everyone. You're right about the crowd, I would have loved to be able to shoot at 2.8 to knock some crowd shots into blur in the complex, alas, I can't afford that type of kit!
Thanks for the comments dude, much appreciated! Silverstone aint easy, but I had real fun trying, and I'd even go back!!!

Great set with plenty of variety. No1 really appeals to me. It's a cracking event and the finale on Saturday night is always worth the price of admission on it's own.

Thank you Gary, it was my first trip to Silverstone so I enjoyed exploring the place - the Group C race into the sunset was something quite special, and I'll struggle to beat that for a Motorsport experience in the UK, glad that the variety shows, I tried to present a mixed set to showcase the event! Thank you

Really liking this set
No's 8 & 10 stand out with an almost 3D feel to them.

Back