Silverstone - where's best?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm a big MotoGP fan, but this year unfortunately I'm only going to be able to make the Friday practice sessions instead of the whole weekend :(
I want to make the most of my time at the circuit - photographically speaking - and so I'm hoping those who have experience of Silverstone can point me in the right direction - literally - and advise where's best to photograph from.

My telephoto kit will be my Nikon D300 body (cropped sensor), Simga 100-300mm f4 + Sigma 1.4x tc. I'm only really interested in the action shots, I'm not going there to do landscapes and I won't be able to get anywhere near the paddock for candid's!

I went last year but didn't have the kit I do now plus I wanted to watch the action rather than photograph. The below map (taken from www.silverstone.co.uk) shows where I photographed from last year...
The-Grand-Prix-Circuit.gif

Pictures taken at the blue circle produced images like this (RIP Marco :()...

Marco Simoncelli - MotoGP Silverstone 2011 by Matthew Miller Photography, on Flickr

And images from where the green circle (The Loop) gave me images like this...

Andrea Dovizioso - MotoGP Silverstone 2011 by Matthew Miller Photography, on Flickr

So..if anyone out there is kind enough to tell me where I should be shooting from, feel free to add to the map and sample images are also very welcome! I'd love to know as I'm only going to get an hour or so shooting of the MotoGP boys and I'd like the best possible results...

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hows does it work taking photos at Silverstone, can anyone do it or do you have to get a pass or something first?

These images were both taken behind the safety fences, so no special pass needed other than my entry ticket!

I went the other year for the f1, and on the practice day/quali i was shooting between becketts and chapel. theres a little S-bend complex there and a low fence quite close :)

I went the other year for the f1, and on the practice day/quali i was shooting between becketts and chapel. theres a little S-bend complex there and a low fence quite close :)

Thanks. Would you mind posting a couple up Rob and give an indication of setup/focal lengths etc?

i would but there all on an old pc i havent used for yonks! been meaning to get them off but i havent. I was shooting with a 200mm on a 1.3 crop.. i found it a little short. so you should be fine with your 300.

Its a popular spot i found, so may be worth heading there quite soon after you arrive.

I might be wrong on the locations, as I walked around the whole circuit during the weekend to get different pictures but from memory, not the best of photos but didn't know at the time that my 100-400 was in need of repair. You have to use quite a hard crop in places though or take a 500/600mm..

Beckets

lorenzo by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

stoner by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

Between Luffield and Woodcote

Ben Spies by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

Scott by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

With refernce to the map - excuse the rough marking. Exif data is intact you can get the info from that.

All shot through the fence except for F

6888686463_9f8784b2c1_o.gif

A - just round the loop - but a word of caution they will probaly not let you stand here during the MotoGP, but if they do

5987563913_be018f30a2_o.jpg

B -
5996908873_3f8db1ea29_o.jpg

C -
5997459246_c2e0acd6c7_o.jpg

D -
5833847384_f94e48a607_o.jpg

E - bit of vanilla paning

F - No fence here
5826397102_077404b306_o.jpg

Graham/Roly - Thanks for your replies, this is exactly the sort of thing I was after and it will be a massive help. There are some wonderful pictures in there too!

Unless they've changed it, if you get inside the circuit around the loop by A on the map above there's a gap in between the two fences, so no fence in the way. Similar north of point A towards the burger/tea coffe van.

Along that way is a proper TV camera gap in the fence. If they have the camera on a crane there then that gap is free and is a great place.

There's another camera gap in the fence anticlockwise from point A, but that's usually policed by marshalls for authorised TV people only. There's the access gate at Village you can shoot over as they turn in, plus the banking at Farm makes a great place to shoot over the fence. You can get the pit exit from there as well.

Unless they've changed it, if you get inside the circuit around the loop by A on the map above there's a gap in between the two fences, so no fence in the way. Similar north of point A towards the burger/tea coffe van.

Along that way is a proper TV camera gap in the fence. If they have the camera on a crane there then that gap is free and is a great place.

There's another camera gap in the fence anticlockwise from point A, but that's usually policed by marshalls for authorised TV people only. There's the access gate at Village you can shoot over as they turn in, plus the banking at Farm makes a great place to shoot over the fence. You can get the pit exit from there as well.

Im afraid they have changed it - no gap in the fence by the loop now Im afraid. Im 99% sure they will you allow you to stand on the exit of the loop section (my first picture) at MotoGP - smaller meeting they seem to do,

And the banking at Farm is no longer there, there is a grandstand, but last bear it was pit personnal only.

And the banking at Farm is no longer there, there is a grandstand, but last bear it was pit personnal only.

Other side of the track, pit side so you shoot towards the grandstand.
136276664.jpg

136276663.jpg

Tha smaller meetings and practice days are great. Always a little more tied down for the bigger races

Back