Simple Beauty Lighting

What did you do to him ??? Evil man :D

I guess he's removed the image then cos I can't see what you're all on about :(

Dave

If you were to look at Peter Hurley's work Dave, it was quite similar to that in that it had a triangle of catchlights.
Not to everyone's taste hence the removal of it expect.

Oh has he left the forum too ??? How odd

Lots of people use the two strip-lights angled in these days, I guess it does look a bit odd but they effect is usually lovely (catchlights excepted)

Shame, I saw some of his other work and it was really good :(

Dave

I don't think so Dave, the image is now back up.
I do like the effect but as I mentioned not to everyones taste.

My only beef is with a French Canadian living in Paris.....who started throwing gratuitous insults at some imagined slight. The image was posted with information as to how it was lit, and the suggestion to 'look to the catchlights.' However his repeated criticism of the skills of a professional makeup artist are as unwarranted as they are unwelcome. Thankfully there is an ignore button.

Last edited:
Glad you are back, :welcome:

There is some good work on your website that I took a look at whilst you were away. Keep going.(y)

repeated criticism of the skills of a professional makeup artist are as unwarranted as they are unwelcome. Thankfully there is an ignore button.

Mmm, he just said he didn't think the make up was the best suited to the model's face. His first post was rather blunt, hardly repeated and unwarranted though, everyone's entitled to voice their opinion aren't they.

Who cares about professional status anyway? You make a point of not being a professional photographer, for whatever reason. And then suggest that because the MUA you used is a professional, nobody is allowed to think the make up isn't perfect...

Morning ...............just looking at this image from a general point of view, (I really only do nature shots, birds and dragonflies, etc.) ........ and I could never take a shot like this, maybe you need to be an expert to comment, but here goes,

I'm very impressed with the quality of the digital shot on my 5k Retina, really shows what the display is made for........ it is the type of shot you see in a fashion magazine and think WOW ...... but because this is a photographic forum you tend to look very closely at detail

to me the pupils look strange .. the black triangles are really noticeable, they must have been intended, no? ........ are they supposed to be like that for some specific (photographic representation) purpose ...... they certainly add to the image?

she also has dark rings under her eyes, not the make up, below that ........ OK they maybe faint because of the bright lighting, but they are quite obvious ..... is this intended, part of the make up or just a shadow?

the shot is very light in places, (not over exposed but just, IMHO, too bright lighting), ... loses detail ..... it need a little more pp

to me it is a world apart from "photography" - it is a specific technical reproduction exercise

.........but the quality is very impressive ..... it is the kind of quality I would love in my close up bird shots!!! ........ just wish that they would keep still

Last edited:
to me it is a world apart from "photography" - it is a specific technical reproduction exercise

I have to admit to not understanding this comment at all :(

What is photography if not a 'technical reproduction exercise' ???

Anyway, not to throw this off course (BillN_33 start a new thread with that title lol), pretty much all portraits use lighting to create the shape, texture, look etc. their author is after. Catchlights give a clue to how things are lit and that's just the same with outdoor ambient or window light as it is flash. I've shot the odd portrait which looks similar to the catchlights here where I've had my Bride close to a window and I'm stood in front of her, thus the window appears more like 2 striplights as I'm blocking out the middle section

I think this is a beautiful portrait but if it were mine all I'd do it remove the odd hair on her face, and a bright hair/hairclip from the middle of the top of her hair. The darker patches under her eyes are most likely that she has darker patches under her eyes, so while I may lessen them in some I'd not remove them as a portrait of the person. If I was producing an image for me, as opposed to the client, then I may remove or lessen them a bit further, but I see nothing wrong with them here

Good work and glad you didn't run off and leave the forum :)

Dave

I have to admit to not understanding this comment at all :(

What is photography if not a 'technical reproduction exercise' ???

Anyway, not to throw this off course (BillN_33 start a new thread with that title lol), pretty much all portraits use lighting to create the shape, texture, look etc. their author is after. Catchlights give a clue to how things are lit and that's just the same with outdoor ambient or window light as it is flash. I've shot the odd portrait which looks similar to the catchlights here where I've had my Bride close to a window and I'm stood in front of her, thus the window appears more like 2 striplights as I'm blocking out the middle section

I think this is a beautiful portrait but if it were mine all I'd do it remove the odd hair on her face, and a bright hair/hairclip from the middle of the top of her hair. The darker patches under her eyes are most likely that she has darker patches under her eyes, so while I may lessen them in some I'd not remove them as a portrait of the person. If I was producing an image for me, as opposed to the client, then I may remove or lessen them a bit further, but I see nothing wrong with them here

Good work and glad you didn't run off and leave the forum :)

Dave

did you not read what I said rather than being selective

I said

"it is the type of shot you see in a fashion magazine and think WOW" ........... and ........."the quality is very impressive"

"but because this is a photographic forum you tend to look very closely at detail"

and notice that I put the word photography in ".............."

I also said

to me it is a world apart from "photography" .......... I said "to me" because it is not an image that I could or have ever taken ......... maybe I should have said "for me" not to me

I also said "maybe you need to be an expert to comment"

how is this throwing the thread "off course"?

Conversely I asked the following

a). Should the model have black triangles in her eyes?
b). Should she have dark rings under here eyes?
c). and passed a comment that I thought that the image was a bit too light?

I obviously need some of your "Phototraining" so that I do not throw the thread "off course" by my comments:(

Last edited:
Ohhh ... popcorn has just finished popping!! :(
Nothing to do with popcorn, I was just disappointed that Rosco took umbrage and took the images down. I'm delighted to see he has re-instated it as it is rather good imho. The catch lights seemed to have split opinion and whilst I noticed them they are not intrusive or unpleasant to me. Overall a lovely portrait, very well lit. As for the make-up, that too seems good to me.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with popcorn, I was just disappointed that Roscotook umbrage and took the images down. I'm delighted to see he has re-instated it as it is rather good imho. The catch lights seemed to have split opinion and whilst I noticed them they are not intrusive or unpleasant to me. Overall a lovely portrait, very well lit. As for the make-up, that too seems good to me.

The popcorn comment had nothing really to do with your comment other than the OP disappeared. :D I totally agree with it being well lit and make up.

Welcome back. You'll find there's a good range of armchair photo critics in here that have either no, or poor work of their own on display. In here you have to learn to check the people who are giving you crit, and how to filter the crit out from those who clearly have no idea what they're doing (based on the quality of their own work - or total lack of it) and those that do. Don't get upset... just go look at the work of some of the ones giving crit... it will put things into perspective.

Last edited:
I like it, catchlights don't bother me and I shoot 100's of protraits of the course of a year using a variety of modifiers, soft boxes, beauty dish, ringlight etc and if I and the model are happy with the results then job done!

The only thing I would possibly add to the image would be a hint of a hair light or a splash on the background to add a little seapration, make up looks good to me and my own MUA reckons it is fine and she is at the top of her game..

Opinions are just that, despite how abraisive... if you are happy with your image then job done..

Last edited:
You'll find there's a good range of armchair photo critics in here that have either no, or poor work of their own on display. In here you have to learn to check the people who are giving you crit, and how to filter the crit out from those who clearly have no idea what they're doing (based on the quality of their own work - or total lack of it) and those that do. Don't get upset... just go look at the work of some of the ones giving crit... it will put things into perspective.

Yes, very good advice! I checked out the website of our resident 'makeup expert' to find little or nothing in terms of studio work, high end portraiture or fashion. :)

Welcome back. You'll find there's a good range of armchair photo critics in here that have either no, or poor work of their own on display. In here you have to learn to check the people who are giving you crit, and how to filter the crit out from those who clearly have no idea what they're doing (based on the quality of their own work - or total lack of it) and those that do. Don't get upset... just go look at the work of some of the ones giving crit... it will put things into perspective.

Don't forget that some of us arm chair crits are hear to learn and we are all entitled to an opinion. So our work may not be great but we strive to move forward so offering crit and getting a respectful answer to why it is as it is can be very helpful.

Don't forget that some of us arm chair crits are hear to learn and we are all entitled to an opinion. So our work may not be great but we strive to move forward so offering crit and getting a respectful answer to why it is as it is can be very helpful.

I have zero problems with people expressing their opinions, and I also love to help others when I can. I also know that I have plenty still to learn myself. :)

Last edited:
Don't forget that some of us arm chair crits are hear to learn and we are all entitled to an opinion.

Crit isn't about giving your opinion, it's about giving advice that you're pretty confident will aid the person in improving the imagery.

Opinion is pretty much whether you like it or not... which is essentially useless.

You could say however, "In my opinion.... the lighting should be x,y or z, or the make-up should be a, b or c" but again, unless you actually know what the hell you're on about, it's just a useless opinion. So if anyone gives me advice on, for argument's sake, lighting, and I look at their work, and there's no studio work in their folio, I'll usually dismiss their "opinions" as useless and I would advise others to do the same.

So our work may not be great but we strive to move forward so offering crit and getting a respectful answer to why it is as it is can be very helpful.

Wouldn't getting crit from others more knowledgeable about your own work be more useful than "practising" giving crit to others?

Last edited:
Crit isn't about giving your opinion, it's about giving advice that you're pretty confident will aid the person in improving the imagery.

Opinion is pretty much whether you like it or not... which is essentially useless.

You could say however, "In my opinion.... the lighting should be x,y or z, or the make-up should be a, b or c" but again, unless you actually know what the hell you're on about, it's just a useless opinion. So if anyone gives me advice on, for argument's sake, lighting, and I look at their work, and there's no studio work in their folio, I'll usually dismiss their "opinions" as useless and I would advise others to do the same.

Wouldn't getting crit from others more knowledgeable about your own work be more useful than "practising" giving crit to others?

David, while I normally agree with you, you do seem to be very binary; isn't there room for a middle ground?

It's very difficult to get good critique - here or anywhere else, except perhaps formal taught courses. 1x.com was one of the few places on the internet which attempted to instigate a sensible critique process but it's gone a bit weird.
In that absence I'll happily consider all opinions. You don't need to be an expert to make a useful observation. By way of example: I coach acrobats who are in some ways more skilled than me but lack the ability to analyse their errors. Critique and practise are different - but intimately related - skills.

I'm quite interested in the response of folk less skilled than me to my work - except when it is limited to 'great capture' - even if I then disregard what they have to say.

To say that the opinion of non-experts is useless seems to me to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's a beautiful portrait Rossomck - one which I'm sure the model was delighted with :)

I feel very lucky at seeing some of your printed work first hand, and I can say with hand on heart, that your portraiture is some of the very best I've seen, and I'm looking forward to seeing more

We all have things to learn, even the more experienced as well as not so experienced and everyone in-between.
I came to TP because, as a visitor for some time, I too realized that some
members have great creative potential I could take from and others
with less experience nor gear I could give to. This exchange is what
I'm after.
So Carl is right in this.
I think we can live without him.
No comment!
I saw some of his other work and it was really good
Correct… and, like you, I find most inspiring the good work of others.
My only beef is with a French Canadian living in Paris…
I show my face and I don't hide my profile, all can know who and what I am.
I would not wish to be in Paris nowadays… but ".at" is not ".fr"! So yes I am
a French Canadian making a living in a German speaking country (and I have
language difficulties there too!).
who started throwing gratuitous insults at some imagined slight. The image was posted with information as to how it was lit, and the suggestion to 'look to the catchlights.' However his repeated criticism of the skills of a professional makeup artist are as unwarranted as they are unwelcome.
I did visit some previous posts of yours that I enjoyed very much and
I remember to have replied in a proper manner. Incidentally, most (all)
of them had positive comments from me! In this one, two elements were
not, IMO, up to your usual standards. Others saw them and noted them
as I did. I had to explain my thoughts because I care to be "decoded" by
all in this language.
Thankfully there is an ignore button.
Ok with me as I can still see your work… but I thought we're all grown ups!
You'll find there's a good range of armchair photo critics… that have either no, or poor work of their own on display
At my age, I prefer the armchair but you may sit on a log if you prefer.
As for my work, my info and signature provide my website address.
Crit isn't about giving your opinion, it's about giving advice that you're pretty confident will aid the person in improving the imagery. Opinion is pretty much whether you like it or not... which is essentially useless.
Let's agree to disagree. Photography is seen at the same time as a
technique and a art. One often forgets the communication value of
this medium of expression… which is the main goal of any art form.
So comments, opinions and critiques are all in the package!
I checked out the website of our resident 'makeup expert' to find little or nothing in terms of studio work, high end portraiture or fashion.
• I do not publish on my website works done for clients as it is not the
custom here to do so. I will not publish industrial, fashion, or private
architecture works that are no longer my property once they are sold.
• If you care to understand my comment about the makeup, then we
should do it via PM. If not, that is also okay with me.
It's very difficult to get good critique…In that absence I'll happily consider all opinions. You don't need to be an expert to make a useful observation…To say that the opinion of non-experts is useless seems to me to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
…right!

I will not ignore you or anybody else as I have no time nor energy
for sour feelings. However, in the future, I shall abstain, should you
wish so, to post on
your threads to avoid such commotion.

Last edited:

• I do not publish on my website works done for clients as it is not the
custom here to do so. I will not publish industrial, fashion, or private
architecture works that are no longer my property once they are sold.

You still retain copyright for everything you create, whether you sell it or not. The only time you would not, is if any contract or agreement YOU agree to says that the copyright is the property of the client. Why are you giving your rights away?

The only exception to this is if you are shooting for an employer, and even then your contract has to make this explicit.

Selling work doesn't mean you no longer own the rights to that image. It's ALWAYS your property. It doesn't matter if you sell it or not. I can post up commercial work on here any time I like because I've not given exclusive rights to the client.

Last edited:
David, while I normally agree with you, you do seem to be very binary; isn't there room for a middle ground?

It's very difficult to get good critique - here or anywhere else, except perhaps formal taught courses. 1x.com was one of the few places on the internet which attempted to instigate a sensible critique process but it's gone a bit weird.
In that absence I'll happily consider all opinions. You don't need to be an expert to make a useful observation. By way of example: I coach acrobats who are in some ways more skilled than me but lack the ability to analyse their errors. Critique and practise are different - but intimately related - skills.

I'm quite interested in the response of folk less skilled than me to my work - except when it is limited to 'great capture' - even if I then disregard what they have to say.

To say that the opinion of non-experts is useless seems to me to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

(sigh)... Right.................

I'm talking about opinions such as "I like it". They're useless. It tells you nothing. Kodiak didn't "like" the make up.. so what? It's useless as an opinion, as the shot was not taken for him. It's purely subjective. It would be better to ask the OP what he was trying to achieve with such make up, surely. Kodiak was saying it didn't flatter the model the way he thought it should. Well, so what? Was that the intention? He wasn't the client, and anyone who knows anything can see the make up is actually very well done... by someone who knows what they're doing, so maybe it was exactly as it was intended to be, for a good reason. No one thought to ask that question.... He just doesn't "like" it. So it's useless. Someone, somewhere, will always not like what you do. Big deal.

He actually missed the obvious, which wasn't the make up at all, but the styling. Everyone else even missed that and started banging on about catch lights.

I'll happily consider all opinions, sure.... but all I'm saying is maybe it's a good idea to check out the work of those giving you crit, so if you end up getting crit on your make up or lighting, and the person giving that crit has no studio work, or any evidence of ever having worked in such a way, with make up artists, studio lighting etc... maybe they're opinions don't carry as much weight as those that have done a great deal of that kind of work.

"To support the pictures you are doing, you need a makeup artist.
You have one already? …really!!"

Useless... assuming there was none, or of there was, they're bad at their job.

"On this childlike big eyes face, use your fingers to hide the eyes only and you will
discover another —more gentle— beautiful young woman… not a racoon! And I said
nothing about the hair pin yet."

Useless.... it's subjective..... You need to know what the make up was trying to achieve. Should make up always reveal a "gentle"... "beautiful young woman"? Really? That all women are for in photos? Can we not have aggression? Strength? Anything else other than beauty and "gentle" It's an opinion.. subjective, and therefore ueless to the OP as the OP clearly has a different idea of beauty, as we all have. Judging a photo on such subjective criteria is unhelpful. You judge imagery on it's strengths and weaknesses, NOT what you like an don't like... unless you're arrogant enough to think everyone's work should look like your own.

Why not mention the hair pin in the first post instead of being sarcastic? That's a styling issue... so the sarcastic post really should have said "To support the pictures you are doing, you need a stylist".

Unhelpful.

I wonder what he'd make of this make up...

stella-lucia-by-nick-knight-for-another-magazine-spring-summer-2015.jpg

Would he have a go at Nick Knight too? LOL

"A self declared non-professional photographer that has a studio is fine with me.
But a studio with a name?"

Derogatory.... still suggesting that now the OP is professional, it requires even more criticism, and a studio with a "name" should almost certainly have "pretty make up" and make the woman appear "beautiful" or "gentle"? It implies that because he's professional crit should now shift from helpful and supportive (which it never was) towards a more punitive, admonishing style.. because he should "know better". The OP being a professional is now seen as a threat... a threat to the crit giver's expertise and standing within the forum, so a more defensive stance is taken.

You see this a lot in here.

All useless crit. It's crit posted not to help the OP, but to enhance the standing of the person giving crit. It's "crit" given to show off the knowledge and expertise of the person giving crit. You'll find this living vicariously through crit giving a lot in amateur forums. People who aren't actually professionals, or don't really create any worthy work get notoriety and reputation by giving crit instead. It's point scoring to enhance the crit givers reputation, nothing more.

Some of you need to go to a professional portfolio review to understand what crit is. It's a dialogue between author and reviewer, not a list of arbitrary likes and dislikes given remotely without any attempt at understanding the context of the image.

Nothing there has actually told the OP how to improve anything at all.

To give balance.....

..... replying to crit with "I'm a professional and I've won a squillion awards" is just as useless, and comes across as retaliatory, and childish, and actually makes people doubt the legitimacy of such a claim. Being a professional means nothing. Winning awards could also potentially mean nothing: Awards from whom? Awards from a camera club or are you a Taylor Wessing award winner? Awards can be 10 a penny, useless things. Some people actually think the "awards" you get from 500px or 1x.com are actually worth anything... LOL.

The internet is actually a pretty poor place to give or receive crit. I rarely give it any more because when I do, others just barge in with subjective useless comments like the above, and the real dialogue just gets lost in the noise.

All I'm suggesting is... check out the work and CVs of those giving crit. You may be surprised by who's advice you're taking to heart and acting upon.

[edit]

I summarily ignore crit from anyone who has no work of their own to review or has work that clearly demonstrates they have little knowledge in the arena I work in. There are perhaps 10 people in this forum I'm willing accept crit from because they do work that's clearly aimed at the same audience as mine, and they have work up there that demonstrates they are at least knowledgeable in that arena and have given thought, or even studied the canon of that arena. None of them are professionals. One is a student. I learn from my students all the time. Learning is a reciprocal thing, not a one way transmission of knowledge from teacher to student.

My advice is to do the same. To do otherwise is to get advice on portraits from someone who shoots pictures of steam trains or street photography, or anything else unrelated... or worse still... shoot nothing at all. How is that a good idea unless you are only interested in seeing who likes your work or not? If that's all you want... just use Flickr or Facebook.

Last edited:
accidental double post. Ignore, or remove.

I get why you guys don't like them, but I've never ever met any non photographer who has ever commented on catch lights.
I did... once... lol... I used a TriFlector and it made my subject's eyes all twinkly and sparkly, and it was really lovely, or so most people thought. But her sister said she had 'alien eyes'... lol... critics eh... :)

I did... once... lol... I used a TriFlector and it made my subject's eyes all twinkly and sparkly, and it was really lovely, or so most people thought. But her sister said she had 'alien eyes'... lol... critics eh... :)
There's always one!

Back