Review Simply Electronics

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
A quick review of Simply Electronics. I am doing this as an honest, unbiased, personal opinion given some of the harsh reviews they receive.

Ordered a Canon 7dmk2 on 27th March from SE.

Had email accepting the order.

Phoned for an update middle of last week and the CS lady said (followed by email) she would try and 'bump' the order as I needed for 14/4.

Allowing for the Easter break, phoned yesterday for another update to be told it was held in Customs, that she would prioritise with the relevant dept. to forward the required info to Customs and expected delivery by the end of this week.

Received an email later on yesterday stating item was with the courier for delivery today. Booked for 15.56 - 16.56, arrived at 16.03.

Given some of the bad press they receive, thought I would like to spread some good news about them. I went to them after a friend purchased a 100-400 couple of years ago and a 1DX middle of last year with no problems.

I know it is a 'grey' version but 33% cheaper than local shop. I suppose it is a case of 'you pays your money, takes your chance', and I can only speak as I find.

Hope this is of a help to anybody thinking of using Simply.

paul

panamoz/slrhut have 3 day delivery average? plus i think when we used them for a camcorder they required chasing up, and possibly not that honest about stock/stock location etc

I purchased a Canon 85mm 1.8 from Simply Electronics a long time ago, no complaints from me. It was really fast delivery, and was almost £100 cheaper than purchasing brand new from UK stores.

I've heard people having issues, though unfortunately, not many people post when things go smoothly, as it's something that should happen normally. People only become critics when they've had bad experiences.

Have decided to give them a go as in no hurry for a camera as not on holiday until July but can't ignore the cheapest price by a country mile for an Olympus tg850 as a cheap waterproof for sharm.

Ordered today and email straight to confirm, estimates shipping in 2-3 days on the website, will keep the post updated.

Well my order should be due anytime now, as I haven't heard anything since ordering on the 9th a quick call to their customer services line to get a tracking number as none sent and no response to yesterday's email was needed to see where it is... Wonder how long the email will take to come through!

was after a tamron 150-600 but with budget of only £600 only place that has it that price is simply electronics. but really undecided if its worth taking the risk

I'll keep this thread up to date with my experience but so far not to bad.

I chose se as they were £60 cheaper than Dr and am in no hurry for the camera, I've paid on credit card so a safety net of sorts.

Their customer service line this morning spoke good English which I wasn't expecting after reading some comments so will see how I get on...

was after a tamron 150-600 but with budget of only £600 only place that has it that price is simply electronics. but really undecided if its worth taking the risk

Had a look earlier and it's a very good price, they have the Tamron for much cheaper than Amazon Italy, Spain etc.. which have been the cheapest by far lately. But you do get the 5 year waranty if bought in the Europe, I believe, after reading other posts in this section.

Will keep an eye on thread and see how the OP & Ryan get on.

tbh im not to bothered about the 5 year warranty simply because i think longest ive had a lens is about a year lol but if anyone wants to order one for me then i'll pay them when it arrives in UK lol

Last edited:
Just checking the dpd site the parcel was shipped on the 13th which is within the suggested shipping time and now in transit in Amsterdam so at least now I can keep an eye on it :)

I bought a 7D mkII for £1000 when it first came out and 100-400mm II for £1500 the same. Delivery took 2 weeks with good comms, both registered on CPS no problem. I would certainly use them again.

what about import/ customs charges? being ona fixed budget cant risk it being stuck there unable to pay even if they offer a refund on the charges

what about import/ customs charges? being ona fixed budget cant risk it being stuck there unable to pay even if they offer a refund on the charges

Thats going to be a risk with most/all grey retailers.

Last edited:
Thats going to be a risk with most/all grey retailers.
and not cheap either. i had to pay £38 on a £160 quadcopter. so on a £580 lens it could be a hefty whack putting it over the price of getting one in the UK

in fact handy page here
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-i...on/saved_calculations/view_details/192612926/

puts it at cost being with vat and import/ shipping duty to be £755 ( £125 tax and £40 shipping duty )

at that price its just not worth the risk

Last edited:
and not cheap either. i had to pay £38 on a £160 quadcopter. so on a £580 lens it could be a hefty whack putting it over the price of getting one in the UK

Other potential things to look out for....

Does the shipping include insurance? If it arrives damaged the courier will only be liable for a fraction of the original cost if not. That will be your problem.
Does a faulty item require returning to HK, who pays for return postage?
Will they exchange an item without fuss?
Is the warranty worth the paper its printed on?

tbh im not to bothered about the 5 year warranty simply because i think longest ive had a lens is about a year lol but if anyone wants to order one for me then i'll pay them when it arrives in UK lol

Understand what your saying, but a camera or lens with warranty is usually worth more than one without, providing your willing to act as a go between if a claim ever arised. Thought it maybe important for you if you sell so quickly.

As Twist has said it is a risk, but with the price of the Tamron lens it's roughly £200 cheaper than HDEW. So keeping an eye on this thread.

I have only previously ordered from Panamoz (3 camera bodies) who have been excellent, especially when I had a fault with my first D750, but they have stopped selling Tamron lenses.

found it on bigupgadgets.com for 592.. listed as warehouses in HK and USA yet says registered in Russia!

think thats a no no then lol

Understand what your saying, but a camera or lens with warranty is usually worth more than one without, providing your willing to act as a go between if a claim ever arised. Thought it maybe important for you if you sell so quickly.

As Twist has said it is a risk, but with the price of the Tamron lens it's roughly £200 cheaper than HDEW. So keeping an eye on this thread.

I have only previously ordered from Panamoz (3 camera bodies) who have been excellent, especially when I had a fault with my first D750, but they have stopped selling Tamron lenses.

582 on SE 750 on HDEW so a 168 price difference . if you get collared for vat and import
you are looking at about £3 price difference. plus all the hassle of if theres a fault. plus no 5 year warranty and whatever the delivery time may or may not be in getting it from SE in the first place.

doing a quick google search clifton cameras in the UK have a used one with warranty for £649 free shipping. coming froma reputable camera shop as cliftons would most likely be worth it

582 on SE 750 on HDEW so a 168 price difference . if you get collared for vat and import
you are looking at about £3 price difference. plus all the hassle of if theres a fault. plus no 5 year warranty and whatever the delivery time may or may not be in getting it from SE in the first place.

doing a quick google search clifton cameras in the UK have a used one with warranty for £649 free shipping. coming froma reputable camera shop as cliftons would most likely be worth it

£650 for used? I think you would be nuts not to go for the same lens brand new with 5yr warranty for 682 from Amazon.de. Which is what I posted in your other thread.

Last edited:
think 650 is a fairly good price for used when you consider UK market price for this lens is around £860. ( wex, amazon UK, Jessops etc ) MPB has a used one for 794.

cheapest seems to be hdew but thats most likely due to being grey impor and doesnt have 5 year warranty.
looking at the amazon de one seller is listed as Tamron which is rather unusual especially at the price of over £200 cheaper than average UK prices.

think 650 is a fairly good price for used when you consider UK market price for this lens is around £860. ( wex, amazon UK, Jessops etc ) MPB has a used one for 794.

cheapest seems to be hdew but thats most likely due to being grey impor and doesnt have 5 year warranty.
looking at the amazon de one seller is listed as Tamron which is rather unusual especially at the price of over £200 cheaper than average UK prices.

I dont, not when you can get brand new with 5yr warranty for an extra £35.

Its because the euro is weak at the moment, nothing unusual about it. Its shipped and sold by Amazon. 'From Tamron' is the manufacturer name.

Last edited:
:agree: doesn't make sense for SH when you can get new for little more with 5 year warranty. I will probably go Amazon Italy, DE etc.......when ready to purchase and keeping an eye on the Curiua for latest Amazon prices > http://www.curiua.com/dp/B00HPMGAFA

The Olympus TG-850 arrived today with a travel adapter which should cover me in all countries :) arrived quicker than expected and exactly as expected.

My unfortunate experience dates back a couple of years so I don't know if Simply Electronics has improved recently or not.
I ordered a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens which was advertised as "in stock" but clearly wasn't. They debited my credit card immediately (unlike suppliers such as Amazon who only debit when shipped), but after two months of unproductive email exchanges and excuses no lens or refund was forthcoming.
Eventually I had to ask my credit card provider to take the money directly back from SE, which they did within a couple of days. Shortly afterwards SE did actually make the refund, which they then reclaimed when they realised what had happened. All in all, not a good experience in my case. :(

I finally bought the lens from Mifsuds who actually bothered to look in their stock to confirm that they had one, then reserved it until I made a second phone call to place my order. It arrived within a week and was well worth the extra cost of buying from a reputable seller. :)

Last edited:
Back