Sirch's Contact Sheets for 2020

Did you manage to get any you're happy with for FPOTY?
Sorry Nige, I missed your reply from back in May (was it really May when I last looked at this thread:runaway:) but I guess you know the answer.

Put a test roll through the Balda Baldix, just local stuff, the missing shot was lack of practice with the red window film counter and I wound past a whole frame. This camera is supposed to have a design that avoids using the red window even though the camera has one bu it didn't seem very accurate (then again neither was I :D).

ContactSheet by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
What's the verdict on the camera?

What's the verdict on the camera?
The shutter seems a bit hit and miss but it must be 70 years old and I haven't used the camera for probably 30 years so I guess that is to be expected. The lens seems sharp enough despite a lot of small scratches on the front element. Here's a zoom-in on frame 4, you can just make out a dog and a gull amongst the grain

Capture-small.jpg

The red window on my Mess-Ikpnta 524/16 is pretty good and I can see the frame numbers quite easily. The Holga, not so much, and I'm always slightly paranoid about accidentally winding past a frame by mistake. Winding on the Holga seems to take ages too, whereas the Zeiss must have some sort of gearing as it gets to the next frame seemingly quite quickly.

I've had a roll of expired T-Max that someone gave me hanging around in the bag for ages and I happened to be in Morecambe on Sunday evening so I decided to snap it off. Quite pleased with the result and might work more on cleaning up some of these. Also the first time I've dev'd two rolls of 120 at the same time and they were different emulsions, just so happened that the times were within 30 seconds and given that this roll was OOD I thought it would be near enough.

ContactSheet - Morecambe by Chris H, on Flickr

Really liking the sheet Chris. You and Nige both seem to be able to nail the square format. I really struggle with it - although that might be the camera. Can barely see through the Automat's WLF. Suspect it's just me though.

4, 7, 10 & 12 are all standout shots (for me anyway)

Thanks Ian.

Can barely see through the Automat's WLF
TBH I struggle to compose and focus with the Bronica WLF, most of the above had to be straightened but I tend to compose a bit wide and crop, doesn't degrade too much on 6x6. That said I do like looking at the world though a WLF, I find it easier to "see" what the final result will be than having the camera up to my eye so pros and cons.

Last edited:
#12 is my favourite. #1 reminds me of one of those shots purported to show a ghost. :)
I don't know what happened to #1 same time of day as the rest, under trees so a bit darker but no too dark and there is a weird mark bottom centre, perhaps there was a ghost :)

As well as #12, 7 and 9 are my faves I think

Some lovely frames here Chris. I really like #12 too but I think the composition needs working a bit harder. Too much empty space for me. But then I have problems seeing in square so that's worth nothing....

Frame 3 really appeals to my sense of humour too. As does frame 6. As a new starter to BT in 1988, I was told that if I needed to find the telephone exhange in any strange town. "Look for the ugliest building". I'd do a project on it if it hadn't been done by someone far better than me already.

Some lovely frames here Chris. I really like #12 too but I think the composition needs working a bit harder. Too much empty space for me. But then I have problems seeing in square so that's worth nothing....

Frame 3 really appeals to my sense of humour too. As does frame 6. As a new starter to BT in 1988, I was told that if I needed to find the telephone exhange in any strange town. "Look for the ugliest building". I'd do a project on it if it hadn't been done by someone far better than me already.
Thanks Ian, I'm sure there is room for more than one Telephone Exchange project ;-) they did have a penchant for the brutalist it seems. I suppose I was going for an empty space in front of the abandoned caravan to sort of indicate that the car had driven off.

I suppose I was going for an empty space in front of the abandoned caravan to sort of indicate that the car had driven off.

Goes to show I know nowt,

Goes to show I know nowt,
It feels a bit weird to be having this online conversation in sort-of real time. But not at all, it's always good to know whether my ideas succeed and in this case, and may be with an image at the size, it seems not.

It feels a bit weird to be having this online conversation in sort-of real time.

Heh... I think you need input from more than just me to decide whether something worked or not. I always feel slightly nervous replying to your posts or Niges because you're both far more accomplished than me. And that's not in some sort of wierd flattery way, it's just a simple statement of fact. FWIW I got the same ghost vibe on frame 1 too. And on the same note it's like the lighting in frame #2 has a Blair Witch feel to it with the crooked angle and the bright, almost flash, lighting. In fact, if you take out 4, 8, 9 & 10 you've got quite a creepy set.

I like it :)

(y)

First roll of Lomochrome Metropolis bought from @Harlequin565. I've always avoided Lomo films because they seemed a bit gimmicky and being a gumpy old git the happy-clappy marketing put me off. The leader on the backing paper was pretty short for using in a film back, only half a turn on the take-up side before the arrow was lined up but a really nice film to handle. It loaded easily and processed well and the results really appeal to me.

Being a low colour saturation film I shot mainly colourful things to see how it went. Scanning needed a bit of help on the colour correction but that wasn't too difficult.

ContactSheet of Lomochrome Metropolis by Chris H, on Flickr

Oh Ian, what have you done! First it was Polypan (still got some in the fridge) now it's Lomochrome Metropolis, what a lovely film.

Last edited:
So glad it's getting shot Chris. It would have stayed in my freezer forever. I actually quite liked the 35mm scans and am still waiting on 1 roll of 120 that I put through the RB. In my original ad I was going to flog off the 35mm with the 120 then had a change of heart. 2 rolls left.

I think it suits architecture & street photography very well. What did you shoot it at? I split the difference at 200...

So glad it's getting shot Chris. It would have stayed in my freezer forever. I actually quite liked the 35mm scans and am still waiting on 1 roll of 120 that I put through the RB. In my original ad I was going to flog off the 35mm with the 120 then had a change of heart. 2 rolls left.

I think it suits architecture & street photography very well. What did you shoot it at? I split the difference at 200...
I shot it at 400, given the current weather the light has been hit and miss at best and I just wanted to get a feel for it.

I like the look of those Chris. The muted tones look good. I agree with Ian that it works better for the street compositions than the landscapes. Frame #1 is the one I like best.
I agree, the landscapes where just to see what happens when shot towards the light although there is something about #10 that I like when viewed larger and the contrast is excellent IMHO. Petty we've now got to stay at home really.

Petty we've now got to stay at home really.

Johnson said one reason we're allowed out is for exercise and recreational activity, so photography should still be OK as long as you're not out in a group or something. Probably safer making photos in the countryside than going to the supermarket, although perhaps not as vital. :)

Thought I might as well round off the year with a final contact sheet. I have been shooting mainly 4x5 on film recently and there didn't seem to be much point in showing a contact sheet of one or two frames hence nothing in this thread for a while but a few weeks ago I was given a Voigtländer Vito BL by someone who had inherited it from their grandfather and wanted to see it being used. I have a load of Polypan from ebay and whoever bulk loaded it managed to scratch it all so I am using it for testing etc. I put a roll in the Vito and have been taking it with me on walks and trips out to see how it faired. I was trying it at different shutter speeds so there is some repetition or similar shots just to see how the camera performed, the Polypan was shot at 100iso which was still a bit limiting at this time of year and there are a couple of misfires. I also need a lot more practice with a range finder, anyway having got all the excuses in here is the sheet
ContactSheet.jpg

Here's the few half decent shots

Image 1 1.jpgImage 1 13.jpg
Image 1 30.jpg

I think the camera is working fine, the numpty behind the lens needs work :)

Back