Sitting down

Edit My Images
Yes
What does everyone use to sit on at a football match? Up till now I've been sitting on the ground to get as low as possible, but have been suffering with a bad back and need to get something to sit on.
Thanks in advance.

I use a Minimax stool (available on ebay). Not cheap but height adjustable which I find useful. It's robust and fairly comfortable - although I'd recommend buying/making some sort of seat pad for it to make it a bit more forgiving for long periods (my mother in law knocked up a good one with some foam and material she had left over, and it's been a lot more comfortable since then )

Whatever works from places like B&M or Argos. Sometimes you need different stools for different grounds because of space or height restrictions.

A few of my mates use the collapsible Minimax stools for footy but they are pretty expensive and not to everyone's taste. If I had any choice in the matter I'd be using a proper chair like the one I use for cricket!

I use a Minimax stool (available on ebay). Not cheap but height adjustable which I find useful. It's robust and fairly comfortable - although I'd recommend buying/making some sort of seat pad for it to make it a bit more forgiving for long periods (my mother in law knocked up a good one with some foam and material she had left over, and it's been a lot more comfortable since then )

...or just buy the version that comes with a seat pad!

I sit on my Peli 1600 adorned with a thin cushion off a garden chair (replaces the lid foam inside for carrying)

I’ve got a couple of stools;

1 a plastic foldaway footstep from Home and bargains , cost about £3
2. A 3 leg camping stool from decathlon sports, cost about £4.

Prefer the decathlon one as its easier to carry (it folds up like a tripod and has shoulder strap )

I’ve got a couple of stools;

1 a plastic foldaway footstep from Home and bargains , cost about £3
2. A 3 leg camping stool from decathlon sports, cost about £4.

Prefer the decathlon one as its easier to carry (it folds up like a tripod and has shoulder strap )

I was told at Redditch last year and pretty sure its the same at Slough that you can not use tripod seats on 3g so maybe something to think about. I have asked the question at Dorchester about tripod seats on 3g but their answer was let you know, still waiting just like a home win then.

I sit on my armchair or settee in the front room watching football

I also use a MiniMax (with seat cover ;))!, but I also have a foldable Shakespeare fishing stool backpack style which has a large bag & pockets attached.
I can fit in all my waterproofs, gloves etc in this, (even a spare camera), if I need to travel/shoot on rough terraine.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. I settled on using a small stepstool which seems to be just fine. Here's a pic I took (while sitting on it) from last Sunday
IMG_8610 by Ian Kendle, on Flickr

I don't photograph sports that often, but I use a folding boat seat for wildlife photography. It has a snap strap that holds it closed and I attached a shoulder strap to the back for transport.
It's a bit bulkier/heavier than a lot of the options... but I find the good back support well worth it. It also does a better job than most for protection against rocks/mud/wet/cold/etc while still being very low. It only cost me ~ $35.
f078cf9c-b2a4-4299-947e-289611eefd53_1.d139af45cb41c1ede471ba70514cc504.jpeg

Last edited:
I was told at Redditch last year and pretty sure its the same at Slough that you can not use tripod seats on 3g so maybe something to think about. I have asked the question at Dorchester about tripod seats on 3g but their answer was let you know, still waiting just like a home win then.
A bit off topic, but I've also been told at one National League North ground with 3G/4G that you must wear football boots if going on the pitch perimeter. Other clubs with similar pitches don't have this rule. Anyone else come across this?

A bit off topic, but I've also been told at one National League North ground with 3G/4G that you must wear football boots if going on the pitch perimeter. Other clubs with similar pitches don't have this rule. Anyone else come across this?

At Southern Premier level. Dorchester has 3g installed last summer and its very strictly Football boots to go pitchside, Slough & Redditch the previous season the same. But last season i went pitchside covering Dorchester at Merthyr, Hendon, Eastbourne (FA Trophy) (missed Walton Casuals but believe they are 3g) all 3g but not bothered about footwear as long as i did not cross the touch line, so very variable when it comes to grounds with 3g. I believe Dorchester,Slough & Redditch insist on correct footwear as part of the pitch warranty/insurance. Not bothered about it as if thats the rules to go pitchside like PLI then you either comply or stay supporter side.

Last edited:
Back