No
Morning everyone,

Does this look yellow to everyone?

DSC05873-Edit-2.JPG

The eyes tell me that he should stay in bed longer
doing the right thing as stipulated in the user book:
"one may also sleep on here"! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::wacky:

+1, are you using a calibrated monitor?

It is but sometimes I look at things and they seem blue, yellow or green ha ha sometimes I think I look at the screen too much and it's all in my head.

Hi Micheal. This is fine to me. Going off your recent posts your doing just fine and as you say, maybe your over thinking/looking at your images.

Keep up the great work.

Gaz

Hi Micheal. This is fine to me. Going off your recent posts your doing just fine and as you say, maybe your over thinking/looking at your images.

Keep up the great work.

Gaz

Thanks Gary, much appreciated.

If it's critical I never trust my eyes. My preferred method is a levels adjustment in PS to set the whites/blacks. A color checker helps but there is almost always something that should be true black and white. In this case there's no color checker and no point that should be true white so I could only set blacks (I tried a catchlight for white, didn't work here). The result shows that the original is just slightly magenta.

Since you allow it I went ahead and finished (over) editing it with highlights/shadows etc. But the main thing I did is reverse the BG gradient putting the darker BG behind the lighter part of the face. It cannot be overstated how significantly this impacts the image, and this is why the BG should be lit separately if possible.

Untitled-1.jpg

But the main thing I did is reverse the BG gradient putting the darker BG behind the lighter part of the face. It cannot be overstated how significantly this impacts the image, and this is why the BG should be lit separately if possible.

View attachment 118211

Thanks Steven but I'm not quite sure I understand what you've done above.

Thanks Steven but I'm not quite sure I understand what you've done above.
Take both images and put them as layers or side by side... some way to compare them directly w/o a web page in between (usually using layers and turning one on/off helps see differences).

If you look closely I made the BG on the left side darker behind the lighter part of the face, and I made the rt side BG lighter behind the darker side of the subject. I reversed the gradient compared to the lighting on the subject which creates contrast/separation/"pop." I did other things as well (sharpening, dodge the eyes, etc), but IMO they are much less significant individually.

Edit: if you look at the side-by-side the edited image is much more "elevated/separated" IMO, but the subject lighting/exposures are essentially unchanged. It's just that subtle reversal of the BG which is almost subliminal...

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that and taking the time to edit it too.

Take both images and put them as layers or side by side... some way to compare them directly w/o a web page in between (usually using layers and turning one on/off helps see differences).

If you look closely I made the BG on the left side darker behind the lighter part of the face, and I made the rt side BG lighter behind the darker side of the subject. I reversed the gradient compared to the lighting on the subject which creates contrast/separation/"pop." I did other things as well (sharpening, dodge the eyes, etc), but IMO they are much less significant individually.

Edit: if you look at the side-by-side the edited image is much more "elevated/separated" IMO, but the subject lighting/exposures are essentially unchanged. It's just that subtle reversal of the BG which is almost subliminal...

View attachment 118223

Michael, my apologies for jumping in on your thread! I'm wondering if Steven could possibly link me to a tutorial, on how to get similar results to his edit of your subject face?

I'm not a portrait photographer, but last weekend I took some photos of my wife, while we were out walking in the snow. I really like the shots, but after seeing Steven's edit, I can see that there's much room for improvement on my edits!

I'm wondering if Steven could possibly link me to a tutorial, on how to get similar results to his edit of your subject face?
Not really as it's a combination of smaller things I learned over time separately. If Michael doesn't mind, I could probably make a video sometime soon.

Not really as it's a combination of smaller things I learned over time separately. If Michael doesn't mind, I could probably make a video sometime soon.

No problem Steven. If you do get the chance though, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Back