Sky Arts Master of Photography TV prog

I sort of liked it. Good to see a few Brits on there.

It's very pretentious though. Surely photography is subjective...or am I so far off the mark there? The pros/critics are very "up their own arses" for my liking.

I loved the nun shot.

I kind of liked that though. Weirdly. I think the point here is that they are being asked to fulfil a brief, so they want them to do 2 things. Capture an image that can be seen to fulfil the brief and then also bring in their own personality into the image. Some of them managed one part and not the other and visa versa. The ones that did well were the closest to fulfilling that and for me that can't be denied, so as long as they are picking the ones that I feel an agreement with it is forgivable. We will see how it goes.

I'm finding it a bit wtf? in that as has been said, I've seen a lot of better images on not only here but elsewhere by enthusiasts.
I do like Laura and Neals ? outlook and images, the German lass and Scottish laddie.

But do the people on here have time pressures, strange surroundings and cameras following their every move? Is it not fair to give them a chance to get used to the format and hopefully they will start to relax into what they have to do and up their game. When you are taken out of your comfort zone you are never going to perform to your best. My feeling is that they will show their true ability as time goes on.

But do the people on here have time pressures, strange surroundings and cameras following their every move? Is it not fair to give them a chance to get used to the format and hopefully they will start to relax into what they have to do and up their game. When you are taken out of your comfort zone you are never going to perform to your best. My feeling is that they will show their true ability as time goes on.

Aye but they're supposed to be able to grab an image or images with their experience that enthusiasts haven't had, well I suppose that is what they're meant to be doing.
But I agree Poppypix not an easy thing to do at all.

I kind of liked that though. Weirdly. I think the point here is that they are being asked to fulfil a brief, so they want them to do 2 things. Capture an image that can be seen to fulfil the brief and then also bring in their own personality into the image. Some of them managed one part and not the other and visa versa. The ones that did well were the closest to fulfilling that and for me that can't be denied, so as long as they are picking the ones that I feel an agreement with it is forgivable. We will see how it goes.

That's a fair enough reply for me...makes sense.

Maybe I'll watch it some more....with the volume down and Nine Inch Nails playing instead of the s***e talking!!!!

Aye but they're supposed to be able to grab an image or images with their experience that enthusiasts haven't had, well I suppose that is what they're meant to be doing.
But I agree Poppypix not an easy thing to do at all.

Where did you get that from? Some of them are amateurs. They are not all professional photographers with years of experience. Okay I wasn't going to say this, but I recently attended a sky arts comp as a wild card for painting. I've been painting for under a year, but in my own time I have created one or two acceptable pieces (based on my photography of course). As a wild card I had to paint from a scene in real life and to be honest I was so taken by everything going on and the skill of the other painters I pretty much gave up on my own creation and enjoyed the day for what it was and gathered tips and skills from others for future reference. The fact is, that just because you are able to do one aspect of art or photography, does not mean you are versatile or able in all other areas. They will all have their strengths and weaknesses and likely using the competition to promote themselves and their work and hoping that something good will come out of it, but more than that, they are getting to learn from the best and will come out stronger and better for it.

I would love to be there doing what they are doing but I've literally just got a big stopper that I've not been able to use yet as I didn't have a holder that fitted (until today), so can you imagine how badly that would go. I know I have an eye for photography though and in time, who knows. I may be a judge lol. Or paint one!

Where did you get that from? Some of them are amateurs. They are not all professional photographers with years of experience. Okay I wasn't going to say this, but I recently attended a sky arts comp as a wild card for painting. I've been painting for under a year, but in my own time I have created one or two acceptable pieces (based on my photography of course). As a wild card I had to paint from a scene in real life and to be honest I was so taken by everything going on and the skill of the other painters I pretty much gave up on my own creation and enjoyed the day for what it was and gathered tips and skills from others for future reference. The fact is, that just because you are able to do one aspect of art or photography, does not mean you are versatile or able in all other areas. They will all have their strengths and weaknesses and likely using the competition to promote themselves and their work and hoping that something good will come out of it, but more than that, they are getting to learn from the best and will come out stronger and better for it.

I would love to be there doing what they are doing but I've literally just got a big stopper that I've not been able to use yet as I didn't have a holder that fitted (until today), so can you imagine how badly that would go. I know I have an eye for photography though and in time, who knows. I may be a judge lol. Or paint one!

Doesn't really matter whether amateur or not, they were picked, so should be able to produce the goods, that's why they made it to the programme.

I think if you call a programme 'Master of Photography' you get people on who already have a bit of skill in the subject and are versatile with the skills they have. ;) It is no use just only being a Landscape, Portrait, Wildlife photographer etc if they are giving tasks on various subjects. Working under pressure though can make even the best under perform if they are not used to it.

I still haven't been able to see any of the shows yet, so don't know what different aspects of photography they will testing throughout the series. Although if they are only using Leica's some types of photography may be difficult. ;) :rolleyes:

I still want to watch this; their website is well annoying though. A great example on how you can overdo parallax.

Doesn't really matter whether amateur or not, they were picked, so should be able to produce the goods, that's why they made it to the programme.
No, that's ego..... ;)

Bruce Gilden - amazing ego "Have you seen any of my photos". Lambasting people for not being up close, yup Bruce, thats you're style which is very marmite, sometimes his close portraits are a bit of a freak show and wouldn't have fitted the brief!

Thought it interesting to see he confrontation on the street of someone who didnt want his photo taken. Quite liked some of the images too, but none o them have yet met the judges exacting standards.

LOL - you don't know TV do you. The contestants are chosen for who would make the best programme, thats it. They'll have to have some sort of skill but I was fully expecting one to have an argument with Gilden.

I must admit that despite liking the programme there are three things that are bugging me.

1) The suck up clapping, fair enough they're apparently good in their field but it just seems so fake.
2) What is that "P" that fades out after every advert break?
3) Is there an ISO 2? If not then don't use it on the "Masters of photography" banner.

In answer to a previous question the only style used so far has been street, although arguably there could have been architecture, abstract, fine art and portrait but it seems to me they just want street so far.

I think next week they're working with nudes and if my eyes didn't deceive me I'm sure I saw someone shove flowers in an arse crack, perhaps it was social commentary ;)

Ah, thank you

I watched it for what it is, an entertainment programme and I enjoyed it.

I like some of the images and some I don't. As for saying they aren't good enough, did any of you apply? Maybe they are the best of those who can be arsed to do something in life. It is a big thing to open yourself up to the critique of other photographers, moreso on TV! Christ half the photographers in the land think they are gods gift and would rubbish anyone elses work.

Agreed.

I think all the contestants have produced good stuff, especially given that I doubt many of them will have used that brand before.

Why do people rubbish anyway? Granted I will from time to time but that's almost exclusively reserved for the"god's gift" types and people who call a room a space [emoji6]

I do like the concept of this program. The insight (all be it limited) you get into the minds of the contestants and the pros will no doubt help with perspective and decision making in the future.

Photography is subjective, some of the most famous and expensive images ever taken in my opinion are rubbish but that's the point. It's how the image makes the person feel who's captivated by it so to get anywhere in this program the contestants will have to do some research on the judges and the pros that are visiting. If they can move their style and approach to cover the preferences of those that matter (ie those judging) then they will do much better.

As the weeks pass I am sure they will start to produce more and more that the judges like even if perhaps they are not too comfortable with the work themselves but as with everything subjective, the idea is to please those that matter which in this case unfortunately may not be the person taking the image.

I must admit that despite liking the programme there are three things that are bugging me.

1) The suck up clapping, fair enough they're apparently good in their field but it just seems so fake.
2) What is that "P" that fades out after every advert break?
3) Is there an ISO 2? If not then don't use it on the "Masters of photography" banner.

In answer to a previous question the only style used so far has been street, although arguably there could have been architecture, abstract, fine art and portrait but it seems to me they just want street so far.

I think next week they're working with nudes and if my eyes didn't deceive me I'm sure I saw someone shove flowers in an arse crack, perhaps it was social commentary ;)

I think they might ditch the street bit next week :)

It'd be so much better if they didn't ;)

next week is studio shots. I've been watching this in the same way i turn my head to see whats going on with an accident on the motorway. The judges are so far up their own backsides, who's the nobody who just wants to be surprised every week? show us your work mate, whoever you are. Maybe the fact that you're not being surprised is that street photography is stuck in the mire of its own tediousness these days. Bruce Gilden? tosser. roll on next week :)

I rather like the Lady Judge, drop dead gorgeous, but can`t be bothered to find out her name

I rather like the Lady Judge, drop dead gorgeous, but can`t be bothered to find out her name

Rut Blees Lxemburg.

http://rutbleesluxemburg.tumblr.com/

I'm enjoying the programme, although partially because there's such a dearth of photography related programming available on TV - the last thing I can really remember was A Digital Picture of Britain which the BBC aired about ten years ago (if not longer). In terms of the judging, I always feel that there's a big seperation between the 'art' community and everyone else to the extent that once you're through the doors and accepted by critics you can produce work that, from anyone else, wouldn't attract a second glance, but which now is seen as inventive, daring, and pushing the boundaries by critics. There's a large dose of emperor's new clothes about it all.

You're talking too much sense, Nige. ;) If it's arty in any context there's typically a hint of the emperor's new robes about it at some stage!

In terms of the judging, I always feel that there's a big seperation between the 'art' community and everyone else to the extent that once you're through the doors and accepted by critics you can produce work that, from anyone else, wouldn't attract a second glance, but which now is seen as inventive, daring, and pushing the boundaries by critics. There's a large dose of emperor's new clothes about it all.

This is so true. WTF was that image of some cars in a car park ? What was that meant to represent ? The brief for the last show could have been so straightforward. People travelling in, people having a good time, and an empty road, or even 3 images without people because it was a cold Monday night. Sometimes people try too hard....

Thanks for the link to rut blees Luxembourg, interesting to see what the judges personal work looks like.

Just seen the Rome & Berlin episodes on catch up - loved some of the images, but I thought quite a few of them were quite poor - but photography and art are totally subjective, so one mans meat... ;)

I'm really enjoying the guest judges - I hate 'wishy washy' critique as it doesn't move you forward, and although they have their own perspective and objectivity, as masters in their own field, their critique and advice is really interesting to watch.

But, I really do have a problem with the '15 mins to process".... I'm afraid I'm a ditherer and will process, leave it, go back to it, reprocess, decide the first edit is my favourite, leave it and go back and change everything kinda girl!!!! LOL!

And I'm very pleased that there's a photography program on the box... our house normally consists of football, toca, football, football, toca, sports cars, football, football, more cars, more toca (and even I have to admit that I love Plato! ;) ), oh, and did I mention football???

Just watching the Berlin one now. I can't believe the amount of kit some of these guys are lugging about.

Edit, most of the shots they're showing appear in the 28-50mm range.

Some great shots, but there's some pretty poor ones too.

Last edited:
Just watching the Berlin one now. I can't believe the amount of kit some of these guys are lugging about.

Some great shots, but there's some pretty poor ones too.

It did make me wonder if it is better to allow the idea to present itself or to go out with an idea before you start and try and make it happen? The guy who was from Berlin didn't do that well, yet really he should have been able to capture 'Berlin' the best, as he lives it.

They can take with them whatever they want, so I guess it's a bit like being a child in a sweetie shop having choice of all those things.

They can take with them whatever they want, so I guess it's a bit like being a child in a sweetie shop having choice of all those things.

That's the trouble, a good number of them where probably thinking that having the right kit would produce a good image. If you only have one body with a prime 28/35/50 you'll be forced to work much harder to get "the shot" and so you'll develop more of an eye.

Didn't see anything thought provoking, I thought the drag singer series or the homeless could have been something really special, but it just wasn't captured.

Last edited:
Got this recorded in my sky+ box. Sounds interesting so will give it a shot!

The guy who was from Berlin didn't do that well, yet really he should have been able to capture 'Berlin' the best, as he lives it.

That may actually have been a disadvantage. Someone new to a place will often e more able to spot something that bit special whereas someone resident might not.

That may actually have been a disadvantage. Someone new to a place will often e more able to spot something that bit special whereas someone resident might not.

It is a good point you make. I'm not a native of Northern Ireland and I'm told a lot of my photo's are different from the norm and that is likely due to me looking through eyes that see for the first time.

Didn't see anything thought provoking, I thought the drag singer series or the homeless could have been something really special, but it just wasn't captured.

Not sure about the homeless, it has to be carefully done as it's so easy to repeat, nothing new. The drag queen I thought should have been a winning idea, just didn't work out.
Looking forward to this weeks

It is a good point you make. I'm not a native of Northern Ireland and I'm told a lot of my photo's are different from the norm and that is likely due to me looking through eyes that see for the first time.

I'm in N Ireland myself, Penny, Ards born and bred. Well done on your site and output by the way.

Yes, maybe to an extent familiarity breeds photographic contempt! The whole NI cultural/Troubles thing can be a bit of a cliché for locals, like Titanic tourism perhaps.

I'm in N Ireland myself, Penny, Ards born and bred. Well done on your site and output by the way.

Yes, maybe to an extent familiarity breeds photographic contempt! The whole NI cultural/Troubles thing can be a bit of a cliché for locals, like Titanic tourism perhaps.

It's funny as it's taken me a couple of years to start discovering where the natural areas of beauty are locally. The few close friends I have are not aware of them and a lot of the people I know in the world of photography tend to repeatedly go to the same places or keep it close where they are going so as not to get lots of others hot on their tail. I had no idea there was a waterfall half an hour up the road from me until recently. In fact I've learnt of more places while spending time at St. George's market than through my photography group. As soon as we get a dry day I'm off to the Crumlin Waterfalls with my big stopper! :)

Oh if you know of anywhere good to visit, please do pass it on, as I'm only here for another 8 months and then it's end of story.

To a point I think it is a matter of not noticing what is in your own backyard. I am guilty of this back n Worcester. I never really considered my nucleus area or the surrounding areas. It wasn't until I came here that I really fell in love with photography, because let's face it. The place is stunning and has so much to offer.

I watched the first two, hoping that with the brief basically being "street photography" of some variant, that I'd see something that made me think that it was about more than just "irritating passers-bye" or sneaking around and shoot-and-hope. Was interested that some chose to shoot something "staged" rather than documenting actuality - though they seemingly failed in their efforts.

All told, I'm really hoping that they mix things up a little soon - something other than just shooting people - though I'm not really holding out much hope, and I'm now at the point of sky+ing it and waiting to read what the topic was in this thread, before deciding if I should just bin the recording without wasting a hour of my valuable time on another bunch of toss.

Back