Sky Arts Master of Photography TV prog

Finally caught up with all espidoes, rather enjoying so far. Am I the only one who looked up the kit they where using? Leica SL + zoom + £8.5k.

Finally caught up with all espidoes, rather enjoying so far. Am I the only one who looked up the kit they where using? Leica SL + zoom + £8.5k.

Not just you!!! Seen a Leica M used a number of times too.

The sob stories are really starting now aren't they. The contestants were told to shutup and stop talking about the images previously so I wonder why now they're allowed to bring the emotion into it :sneaky:

They're using film in the final, I see...

They used them alot for the street stuff, Leica must be loving the publicity.

The double "P" at the start and finish stands for Product Placement, so they provably paid a large Sum to beat Canon, Nikon,etc.

I've been watching the series after recording it. What struck me is their 'mentor' tell them what he thinks is good, or works, and then they show something completely different as their 'final' choice and get slated. What's the point of a mentor if you are going to ignore what they say??

What good is a mentor after the fact?
They have shot thier photos and they usually just getting slated for what they took so far.

The jury talk a langauge I do not understand and I suspect neither do the contestants. The jury condradict themselves all the time IMO especially the old guy.

I assume they don't want the mentor to influence the photography and as they all get split up it would be difficult to give them all equal time during the process. After the fact makes more sense for many reasons.

Massively helpful in terms of vision, selection, cropping etc.
Agreed, a couple have given very good feedback, which has also been ignored and people have gone home as a result.

The final tonight isn't it?

Really enjoyed the final, disagreed with the final decision though.

It was quite good, I was thinking Marta was going to take the win,
I thought Marta until they announced that the final judgement would be made on all the challenges when I changed my mind to Rupert. I thought Gabriel was weakest across the series, just shows what I know ;)

I'm glad Marta didn't win. She was weak, quiet, awkwardly shy, missed the point, failed more than anyone else and held on through blind luck throughout the series except for the odd mediocre performance and that was very apparent from criticism from the judges throughout the series. Of all the contestants she was the one who was robbed the least. More lives than a cat, a huge lack of EQ that often left a feeling of awkwardness during the show that was painful to watch.

It was always going to be Gabriel or Rupert, but I was surprised at the conclusion and the way the program pushed the idea of Marta to cast a mist of doubt was in poor taste and more of what I would expect from a production containing Simon Cowell.

The series concept was great. The unconstructive criticism from the judges and incredibly poor explanation of brief let the program down ultimately but the novelty of a photography program I'll admit was enough to hold my interest and have me return each week to watch.

Gosh, just seen this evening's episode.
I'd thought Marta's recent assigments might have got her the prize although since they looked back at the earlier work she'd struggled in those episodes so perhaps wouldn't make it.

Not sure if I would have gone with the result but have enjoyed and cringed through the series in equal measure, glad there is to be a further one.

Nice to see them being forced to use analog camera's with a 50mm prime. Must make my FM2 worth more right?

Overall Throughout the series, of the three I though Gab was the weakest and Rupert was the strongest.

Anyone else notice how the old boy would say that photography is all about this, then he says it's all about that, then it's all about something completely different.

Last edited:
I see the 'Master of Photography' website is now accepting e-mail address submissions of potential entrants for the next series. Anybody fancy their chances?

I'm glad Marta didn't win. She was weak, quiet, awkwardly shy, missed the point, failed more than anyone else and held on through blind luck throughout the series except for the odd mediocre performance and that was very apparent from criticism from the judges throughout the series. Of all the contestants she was the one who was robbed the least. More lives than a cat, a huge lack of EQ that often left a feeling of awkwardness during the show that was painful to watch.

It was always going to be Gabriel or Rupert, but I was surprised at the conclusion and the way the program pushed the idea of Marta to cast a mist of doubt was in poor taste and more of what I would expect from a production containing Simon Cowell.

The series concept was great. The unconstructive criticism from the judges and incredibly poor explanation of brief let the program down ultimately but the novelty of a photography program I'll admit was enough to hold my interest and have me return each week to watch.
You say it like it's a bad thing? She still had the nerve to go up to people in the street to ask to take photos, which is more than I can do, and in my opinion was better than the paparazzi style approach Gabriel used at times.

I'm glad Marta didn't win. She was weak, quiet, awkwardly shy

Why is being quiet a bad thing?

I don't think she was shy. In Athens, she captured potentially touchy financiers and got into a refugee camp (unlike Rupert).

missed the point...

She got better as the series went on. Based on feedback in the show, I'd say she won the last two rounds.

Why is being quiet a bad thing?

I don't think she was shy. In Athens, she captured potentially touchy financiers and got into a refugee camp (unlike Rupert).

She got better as the series went on. Based on feedback in the show, I'd say she won the last two rounds.

Quiet as in she didn't speak up, she muttered and that just added to the awkwardness. Sitting back and being quiet to observe however is entirely different and that I wouldn't of had a problem with. I don't think language barriers helped to be honest however I can't say anything in that department as I'd be even more useless if Spanish was a requirement or any other language that wasn't English for that.

She may have got better as the series went on but in most early episodes she should have gone home.

Yeah, she wasn't great early on. But improving throughout the series is what it's all about, right?
I'd agree it was if the contestants all remained and were awarded points. As it was an elimination series she shouldn't had been offered the chance to improve week in week out. Bottom two or three every single week pretty much until the last two where blind luck saw her perform and even that that was subjective.

Interesting result, especially watching back their hightlight reel/images, which made Ruperts portfolio look very strong. Interesting that LaChappelle loved his ironing image, which I thought had a touch of Martin Parr about it although the judges panned it.

Martha had a strong last two weeks, before that I thought she'd go a couple of weeks.

I never quite got Gabrielles work so wasn't surprised when he won ;) Some interestign images but not a strong portfolio

I'd agree it was if the contestants all remained and were awarded points. As it was an elimination series she shouldn't had been offered the chance to improve week in week out. Bottom two or three every single week pretty much until the last two where blind luck saw her perform and even that that was subjective.

Blind luck. Hehe.

Tell you what, next series, why don't we vote for a TP winner in each round. :)

We could run a "Master of Talk Photography" tie-in. Copy the brief (as it is) from each week's show and then have until the next week to take shots. Might be difficult if the brief is "Capture the essence of Berlin nightlife" or something though. ;)

We could run a "Master of Talk Photography" tie-in. Copy the brief (as it is) from each week's show and then have until the next week to take shots. Might be difficult if the brief is "Capture the essence of Berlin nightlife" or something though. ;)

I like that idea (y)

Last edited:

Ok. As long as Andrew Moore isn't judge. ;)

Bradford? :D

Sorry I don't agree. All of them were selected on their abilities (plus differences for tv appeal). The briefs at times were vague and with unknown locations and short timescales it was very difficult. It's no wonder some struggled, resorted to their comfort zones, which probably didnt push enough for the judges.

Marthas Home tryptic was very strong, composition, direction and production. Her celebrity portrait in the bedroom was beautifully staged, which wasn't apparent until you saw the print. Gabrielles image of the celebrity was very poor, again I thought Ruperts the strongest.

Yans been weak for a while, with Martha finding her feet I wasn't surprised to see him knocked out. Interesting to see the two male judges arguing. I thought Simon Fredrick was putting over some valid arguments and didnt like being put down by Toscani. I thought throughout the series Fredrick was in touch with recent contempory photography, but Toscani just wanted images done his way. An argumentative judge for the TV appeal rather than skills?

I'd forgotten about her celeb portrait. Marta was probably 2nd (to Rupert) in that round. So three strong rounds to finish.

(Rupert's Buck Palace shot was awful, btw - just a snapshot)

. Gabrielles image of the celebrity was very poor,
For me Gabriel's were:-

Week 1 Rome: Strong
Week 2 Berlin: Very weak
Week 3 The Body: So so
Week 4 Celebrity Portrait : Very weak
Week 5 London Backstage: Very weak
Week 6 Irish Landscape: So so
Week 7 Home Sweet Home: So so
Week 8 Europeans, Places and Faces: Reasonably strong

So out of 8 weeks and had two strong weeks, a few so so and a few weak, doesn't make a winner imo. Almost makes me think they chose him to be deliberately controversial.

For me Gabriel's were:-

Week 2 Berlin: Very weak
Week 3 The Body: So so
Week 4 Celebrity Portrait : Very weak
Week 5 London Backstage: Very weak
Week 6 Irish Landscape: So so
Week 7 Home Sweet Home: So so
Week 8 Europeans, Places and Faces: Reasonably strong

So out of 8 weeks and had two strong weeks, a few so so and a few weak, doesn't make a winner imo. Almost makes me think they chose him to be deliberately controversial.
For comparison, Rupert

Week 1 Rome: Weak
Week 2 Berlin: Strong
Week 3 The Body: Very strong
Week 4 Celebrity Portrait : Strong
Week 5 London Backstage: So so
Week 6 Irish Landscape: Strong
Week 7 Home Sweet Home: Weak
Week 8 Europeans, Places and Faces: Strong

Marta

Week 2 Berlin: Strong
Week 3 The Body: Weak
Week 4 Celebrity Portrait : Strong-ish
Week 5 London Backstage: So so
Week 6 Irish Landscape: Weak
Week 7 Home Sweet Home: Very strong
Week 8 Europeans, Places and Faces: Very strong

So clearly for me both Rupert and Marta were much stronger than Gabriel.

http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/the-beauty-of-rome/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/berlin-nightlife/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/the-body/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/celebrity-portrait/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/london-backstage/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/ireland-landscape/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/home-sweet-home/
http://www.masterofphotography.tv/episode/places-and-faces/

Last edited:
Back