Sky Arts ~ Masters of Photography

Just caught up with this.
Well the winner was the judges favourite over the past few weeks.
Also, I noticed several of the guest judges have praised this particular tog.
But yes, winner was the best of an average bunch.

Was the guest Gary Knight our very own Garry Knight who posts a lot in the Capture a Stranger thread?
(I know Garry is spelt different).

The problem with any competition of this type is that they’re fishing in a shallow pond, so the available talent pool reduces every year.

Much as I enjoy it, I’m concerned it’ll reduce in quality more before they call it a day. But I’ll still watch next season.

The problem with any competition of this type is that they’re fishing in a shallow pond, so the available talent pool reduces every year.
I’m only speculating, but I wonder if there was any behind the scenes fall out Souvid Datta’s participation last year. The tasks this year didn’t feature any big celebrities like they had the first two series either.

Sebastiao Salgado!?
I think Eloise meant that they weren't asked to photograph any celebrities which they have in the past :)

I think the lower number of adverts in this series (my perception) indicates that it is less of an earner than previous years.

The EXIF info given with the photographs was not at all useful. There could have been reasons given for certain settings - although I think with the lens hoods on the wrong way round that quite a few of the settings could have been happy accidents.

Only just finished watching, pleased with the winner, she's going to go far I think... And finally a glimpse of a correctly fitted lens hood!

I noticed a lot more use of flash this time round, which has inspired me to make use of mine on location more and not just at work.

I think Eloise meant that they weren't asked to photograph any celebrities which they have in the past :)
Correct: I was thinking the previous two seasons they had portrait sessions with Michael Madsen and Clive Owen.

Only just finished watching, pleased with the winner, she's going to go far I think... And finally a glimpse of a correctly fitted lens hood!

I noticed a lot more use of flash this time round, which has inspired me to make use of mine on location more and not just at work.
Interesting.

Is it a coincidence that Leica launched their own wireless flash system recently?:thinking:

I’ve no idea what the contestants were told, but I find it suspicious that photographers who clearly have little experience of a technique all of a sudden decide that’s the best way to get a shot in limited time. :p

As the saying goes 'Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see'

Interesting.

Is it a coincidence that Leica launched their own wireless flash system recently?:thinking:

I’ve no idea what the contestants were told, but I find it suspicious that photographers who clearly have little experience of a technique all of a sudden decide that’s the best way to get a shot in limited time. :p

Maybe if I buy a Leica flash I might too become a master overnight,...worth a try! :naughty:

Interesting.

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought it weird that so many used direct flash rather than bouncing off walls/ceiling.

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought it weird that so many used direct flash rather than bouncing off walls/ceiling.

Because its called 'art' o_O

Half the imaged were badly composed or over/under exposed too!

Back