1. Stuart M

Stuart M

Name:
    Stuart
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thought I'd mention that the new series of 'Masters of Photography' programme on Sky Arts is starting on 25th May.

2. antc

antc

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yep I saw the advert for it just the other day. Quite looking forward to it.

3. J Veitch

J Veitch

Name:
    James
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't check the sky channels very often, thanks for the heads up.

4. tom24

tom24

Name:
    Tom
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Is that a year since the last already?

5. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sky? What's that?

6. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Top man thanks.
    Now if you could just remind me again a few days away :)

Phil V and wibbly like this.
  7. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can't afford Sky. :banana:

8. droj

droj

Name:
    Rog
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Interesting, and thanks. But since I've never had a telly (I know, it's not mainstream behaviour), and find anything tainted by connection with the Murdoch empire odious, it's unlikely that I'll be a bum on a seat for this performance.

I'm not a Luddite - I have digital equipment. It's a cultural matter (and a political one).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The last series was an interesting program to see the process and thoughts behind the tasks set to the photographers. It certainly deserved to be on an arts programme. I hope this year they improve the website and put more of the final image submissions on it
    http://masterofphotography.tv/

10. Barrysprout

Barrysprout

Name:
    Colin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just wait until the series is within 13 days of ending, Sign up for a 14 day free trial of now TV, catch up on all the episodes and watch the last one when available.

keeweeman, Phil V and mossienet like this.
  11. Eloise

Eloise

Name:
    Eloise
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For their final challenge, the contestants were given a manual Leica SLR with 3 rolls of black and white and (as I recall) a 50mm lens.

I quite enjoyed the first series, they mentioned but didn't dwell on equipment choices and it didn't descend into a photography advert for a particular brand (they used Leica throughout but anyone watching who didn't know equipment wouldn't particularly know that). Definitely focused on the images and the thought process.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    chicmedia likes this.
  12. pope

pope

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    look up.

wezza13 and mossienet like this.
  13. Stevieraith

Stevieraith

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Really enjoyed the first series, looking forward to this

14. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  15. Stuart M

Stuart M

Name:
    Stuart
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  16. Eloise

Eloise

Name:
    Eloise
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It is... but they are aware of the situation... http://masterofphotography.tv/photographers/souvid-datta/

Since filming on Master of Photography was completed, Souvid Datta has admitted in an interview with Time that he dishonestly doctored and appropriated images in the past. Souvid was selected to take part in our programme on the basis of a portfolio of work he submitted as his own in October 2016, and our producers are satisfied that these works were original.

However, Master of Photography is a celebration of originality and authenticity in photography, and Souvid’s behaviour is in total opposition the values that the programme seeks to promote. Whilst filming on the series is now complete we are currently looking at how we reflect this matter on the programme.​

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  17. J Veitch

J Veitch

Name:
    James
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'll just throw out, tonight...

18. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think the correct three shots got the accolades, but personally thought the empty nativity stable shot was the worst of the bunch tonight.

I also thought that some of the shots looked far worse once the post processing was done. It looked a little heavy handed in the shot of the chap in front of the church, and in the street portrait picture.

No Isabella Rosselini this year either, which seems to have lowered the pretentiousness a tad. No offence to Ms Rosselini, but the way she used to appear behind that transparent image mount while the judges deliberated last series was somewhat cringeworthy.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    davidheath56 likes this.
  19. DemiLion

DemiLion

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks. How about leaving it more that 30 seconds before you start posting bloody spoilers!

20. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sorry. Not sure that anything I've said above constitutes a major spoiler, but I'll hide it anyway.

21. Retune

Retune

Edit My Images:
    No
    Argos is flogging the Now TV box for £20 at the moment, with a 6 month entertainment pass including Sky Arts (not to mention Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones) thrown in: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4590602 Afterwards the box is still useful for catchup stuff like iPlayer and the ITV/C4/5 equivalents without a subscription.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  22. Keebsuk

Keebsuk

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I really enjoyed the first episode although I wasn't overly impressed with some of the photography. I thought the photo of the street (girl in foreground) was excellent.
    I like the new format as in no presenter as she added nothing at all to the first series.
    Looking forward to the next instalments.

Andy

23. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The first episode did suggest they have picked up on some of the weaker aspects or the first series, and improved on them.

The initial brief seemed better then the first series; rather than just 'a travel shot of scilly' they elaborated on what they were after.
    The critique seemed better, but that may have just been editing - some shots were handled very briefly, while others had useful suggestions.
    The two they judged as weakest matched my impressions, and the one of them that did't get sent home should consider themselves very lucky to be progressing!

Penfold711 and Keebsuk like this.
  24. jimgallaher

jimgallaher

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's a pity they didn't lose the Leicas though, let the contestants use cameras that ordinary people can afford.

25. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
  26. Sassafras

Sassafras

Edit My Images:
    No
    Why do you think that?

27. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    They've got to be sponsored by someone.
    To be honest, they're not exactly gaining an advantage by using overpriced man jewellery.
    If anything they're at a disadvantage, the lens choice and other peripherals are miles behind both Nikon and Canon and not even up to the standards of Oly, Pentax, Fuji etc.

And that's instead of banging the drum of 'it's not about the camera, it's about the picture'.

I find it hard to believe any 'photographer' is looking at those images and thinking they could shoot the same if they had the same gear.

28. jimgallaher

jimgallaher

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    To reinforce that it's about the photographers skill, not the equipment, there is a misconception that expensive gear makes great photos. Give the contestants entry level kit, this may inspire people and maybe some youngsters to give photography a go.

29. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Look at the specs of the kit they're using.
    It's offering them nothing that you wouldn't get from entry level kit.

It's a common misconception amongst newbies that 'pro' kit makes things easier. It's actually the opposite, pro level kit doesn't offer all the 'helpful' modes that entry level kit does. So a newbie might do better with entry level kit, but a pro wouldn't necessarily do worse.

TheBigYin likes this.
  30. wibbly

wibbly

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I quite enjoyed it. I think there's one or two personalities there that may grate on me a little through more episodes, but thought it was off to a good start.

31. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What it does do, to a limited extent, is provide a 'level playing field'.

If we assume that none of the contestants regularly shoots Leica themselves, then they are all in the same situation - they have decent quality, but unfamiliar, gear.

Re: 'Pro' gear making things easier
    While the array of buttons and dials on higher end gear might be confusing for a 'newbie', for a more experienced photographer I would argue they do make things easier
    - that's the whole point of putting them there.
    If you know you want to change the ISO, for example, it's easier to press an 'ISO' button than go into menus to find the setting - once familiar with a given camera you can make the change while the camera is to your eye as your fingers 'learn' where the button is.

Can you make the same change on a camera without a dedicated button - of course, but it takes longer, so you might miss the shot, or even not bother to try and take the shot at all (if it's just too much effort!).

32. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My point being that with an 'entry level camera' the user may never want or need to change the ISO or even know what that means. Hence the camera is 'easier' to use. :)

33. DemiLion

DemiLion

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No

What part of sponsorship are you failing to understand?

34. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes, I understand that, and agree.

My point is that 12 months later, when they do understand ISO, etc, and no longer want or need the range of helper modes the entry level camera offers, then a camera with a greater range of buttons to directly access settings may be 'easier' for them.:)

35. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Got it taped, not had a chance to watch it yet. How did Souvid Datta get on. Please tell me he was looking over at the next contestants work like schoolchildren in exams :D

36. Chipper

Chipper

Edit My Images:
    No
    Well, I have just watched the recording of it. I thought it was interesting. Regarding the kit, I don't think it unreasonable for Leica to sponsor and expect their cameras to be used. I would imagine between some of the amateurs and professionals on the show, that there would be a discrepancy in kit anyway so, as has already been pointed out, they are all in the same boat. I found the critique that the guest did give was interested - edited here as a post came in from someone who hadn't seen the show and I had posted a spoiler - I also found it interesting to watch how they went about getting their shot. It seems that those who engaged with their subjects did better - perhaps no surprise there then!

Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  37. Stevieraith

Stevieraith

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Decent first show.

TBH I was not overly impressed with the images they came up with (not that I could do any better!) but the winner was definitely the best of the bunch

38. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    They actually had a scene where the contestants were encouraged to view each others work once they got back to the studio.

39. stryvya

stryvya

Name:
    Lennard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is`nt odd that we still use that term when VCRs went out the door, so to speak.

Unless the poster still has VCR of course.

drounding likes this.
  40. Retune

Retune

Edit My Images:
    No
    Funny we still use floppy disk icons to save stuff - how many people born since the mid 90s have ever used them?