Sleeping in the car

Had a pretty worrying experience sleeping in the car last week ready for a sunrise shoot. Parked on the grassy banks near Ivinghoe Beacon and got surrounded by a gang of boy racers doing handbrake turns and donuts, they thought they were better drivers than they were and could easily have smashed into the car. Scrambled into the front and drove off to a collective beep of horns - yobbos! Still worth doing during summer nights with the savings you’ll make over staying in hotels. Quite comfortable if you can put an airbed in the car

I have a 7 seater Ford S-Max which I could comfortably sleep in with the back seats down, enough space for an air bed etc. I really should use it for some landscape photography.

Just spent the last week in our newly converted camper van in the Lake District.

Free camped, pent a couple of nights at a motorhome pub stopover and one night on a site to charge the cameras and laptop up (the leisure battery took care of the phones)

Fantastic week and the van performed admirably.

Thats the way to go, get a cheap van and convert it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/254irpQ]Van 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Just spent the last week in our newly converted camper van in the Lake District.

Free camped, pent a couple of nights at a motorhome pub stopover and one night on a site to charge the cameras and laptop up (the leisure battery took care of the phones)

Van 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Got any other photos or info on the conversion?

CF6B80EA-E0ED-44B6-A7ED-D178B8D6FF3D.jpeg Definitely the way to go with a cheap van, especially when you can pick something up like this for the price of a decent lens!

Currently sat quite close to my subject matter! (Please excuse the iPad pic!)

Van 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Been thinking about doing this myself...what sort of cost..?

Ours was an ex-NHS minibus, paid £2400 at the end of 2015. Ours was a bit insulated, boarded out, lights fitted and roof vent fitted. Spent around £1.5k so far.

Had a pretty worrying experience sleeping in the car last week ready for a sunrise shoot. Parked on the grassy banks near Ivinghoe Beacon and got surrounded by a gang of boy racers doing handbrake turns and donuts, they thought they were better drivers than they were and could easily have smashed into the car. Scrambled into the front and drove off to a collective beep of horns - yobbos! Still worth doing during summer nights with the savings you’ll make over staying in hotels. Quite comfortable if you can put an airbed in the car

Always a bit risky near to inhabited areas. There's always boy racers about. But don't let it put you off - a camper van is a great thing. And they're just d**kheads.

2003 Movano lwb high top was £1000

Probably spent around 2k to convert.

Will start a thread this week with info and images

Be interesting to see this as Im sorely tempted, especially when you think that a single lens I bought in January cost what you purchased the van for :eek::eek:

I’m fine for just sleeping in a car for now. I like cars/driving too much for a van/SUV and I’m a terrible sleeper anyway.

Front seat reclined, duvet and pillow and you’ll get a few hours sleep for sure.

Small off the beaten track car parks are the way to go. The Glencoe ski centre car park is good, park next to some campervans or just at the car park for the coupall falls

Chatting at work yesterday my boss was telling me about a scheme where you can park and stop the night in pub car parks, country clubs and so on. I think it was called Britsites? Apparently you pay for a book, which gives you access for twelve months.

Chatting at work yesterday my boss was telling me about a scheme where you can park and stop the night in pub car parks, country clubs and so on. I think it was called Britsites? Apparently you pay for a book, which gives you access for twelve months.

http://www.britstops.com/welcome.php

Disclaimer: just found it on Google, never used it.

Back