Sleeping in the car

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I know some of the Landscape photographers on here will sleep in there cars overnight to be ready for an early start.
Having never done this are there any tips? I'm hoping to head to the lakes this weekend to get a sunrise in.

Last edited:
Expect to be woken up with a blazing torchlight in your face when the police approach your vehicle in the middle of the night to check it out.......it is a long time since I slept out overnight in a car, the last time being about 20 years ago in the Yorkshire Dales when I was abruptly awakened by the plod and asked 101 questions as to who, why what etc......I suspect in recent times those questions could be somewhat more numerous and more in depth!!

I do it regularly and will possibly be up in the lakes doing the same this weekend.

I have a really good mountain equipment sleeping bag rated for some serious winter temps. For me this is paramount because as mentioned, it gets seriously cold first thing in the morning in side what is fundamentally a metal box.

There is nothing worse than waking up absolutely freezing and having a really poor sleep due to the cold. You won't want to get out of the car and if you do you probably won't be in a fit state to scale those hills.

and a kettle and small stove is vital :)

Not sure how far you need to travel ?
The advice you have already had from other members is all good
The other option is to get a early night if possible and leave in the middle of night to get there early enough for sunrise at the location of your choice !
Take plenty of warm waterproof cloths even a change.
I usually take a couple of flasks with boiling water in with packet soups, tea or coffee and a bottle of milk maybe some energy bars
I'm sure yo don't need advice with gear etc but I hope you have a fabulous time.

Expect to be woken up with a blazing torchlight in your face when the police approach your vehicle in the middle of the night to check it out.......it is a long time since I slept out overnight in a car, the last time being about 20 years ago in the Yorkshire Dales when I was abruptly awakened by the plod and asked 101 questions as to who, why what etc......I suspect in recent times those questions could be somewhat more numerous and more in depth!!
You'll be damn lucky to see a copper in the Lake District these days ;)

As others have said, you can't have enough warm gear and you have a car so fill it, I find a sleeping bag and a duvet on top is quite good. Try lying down in the car before you go to see if there are any lump and bumps for which you might want a mat or cushion. The other thing at these temperatures is condensation, there will be a lot of it and it forms on sleeping bags, blankets, cold clothes not just windows.

Wrap up warm as a car can quickly become an ice box.
One of those wee single burner stoves are a godsend for making tea/coffee and cooking a bacon buttie or two to keep you going ;)

Good idea, but do it in the boot, or outside is better, apart from condensation, the fumes can kill.

Cheers guys. I've got the warm gear and brew kit. TBH this time of year driving up is probably my best option, only 2 hours away and sunrise is 7:55. Setting off at 4 will get me there with time to get to potential location, which I'm yet to pick. Sunday is looking the best day.

You might also consider a youth hostel. Dirt cheap if you stay in a dormitory room and many are in stunning locations.

I've done it a few times, I can't agree enough with people who say take a good sleeping bag, warm clothes and any kit you might want for food - it does get bloody cold in the car, even in the summer sometimes.

I'm never sure whether it's best to park somewhere isolated or where there is a lot of people. I think I prefer to park in the sort of lay bys where the truckers park up for the night, least you have safety in numbers with people doing the same thing. I've also been questioned unofficially by the police after parking up at Micheldever Woods for sunrise, once I got out all my kit they were happy enough to let me crack on.

Ah yes Hotel Mondeo I know it well(y)
Most of it has been covered above. Wake up freezing cold and stiff, assume your never gonna sleep well. Have a warm down or fleece jacket it get straight on when you drag yourself out. Car will be streaming with condensation, unless you leave a window open, which is not recommended. Don't leave your lights on nothing worst than waking up to a flat battery. If you have a car with a silly button for a handbrake i'd stick a log, stone or whatever under the wheel before you get your head down.
Lock all your doors from inside. Leave a note on your screen then the (Very scarce) old bill might not disturb you. If you are in Mountainous areas when you leave the car put an emergency point of contact card in your windscreen. If your not sure what it is just google EPOC card you'll find info. As Matty says always a good plan to have a tent too... If you plan to do a lot maybe worth looking at bunk houses or the YHA.
@Stu Meech should have given me a shout mate only live down the road from Micheldever you could have kipped at mine.

Finally when your turned 60 crawling out the back of a Mondeo estate tailgate at 4 am is worse than crawling out of a tent at 4 am:eek:
Oh and mind your head:confused:

My first car (a Skoda Favorit) you could remove the headrests from the front seats, push them all the way forwards and recline them all the way back and the top of the seat joined up with the rear seats.

I wonder if there's any more modern cars you can do the same with....?

I've done it a few times, I can't agree enough with people who say take a good sleeping bag, warm clothes and any kit you might want for food - it does get bloody cold in the car, even in the summer sometimes.

I'm never sure whether it's best to park somewhere isolated or where there is a lot of people. I think I prefer to park in the sort of lay bys where the truckers park up for the night, least you have safety in numbers with people doing the same thing. I've also been questioned unofficially by the police after parking up at Micheldever Woods for sunrise, once I got out all my kit they were happy enough to let me crack on.
I can't understand why the Police could be so inquisitive about people sleeping in cars in remote areas.

If you find yourself making a trip into civilisation for a Macdonalds,KFC or a No2 or something late at night and are tempted to use a carpark to get your head down, then you must be careful of number plate recognition cameras because sometimes the first thing that you know about a carpark having time restrictions is when the fine comes through the post, especially when the tiny little sign is hidden in a bush or so far away that you miss it.

Maybe I'm a little OTT on this - but I bought my Passat Estate because the seats fold down flat and it gives me a 'bed' over 6ft long (being only 5'7" has its advantages lol)

I then lay out my self-inflating mattress, onto which I put my 'winter' sleeping bag, onto which I put a duvet I bring from our spare bedroom and I bring my own pillows too - snugger than the proverbial bug in a rug :)

Dave

Maybe I'm a little OTT on this - but I bought my Passat Estate because the seats fold down flat and it gives me a 'bed' over 6ft long (being only 5'7" has its advantages lol)

I then lay out my self-inflating mattress, onto which I put my 'winter' sleeping bag, onto which I put a duvet I bring from our spare bedroom and I bring my own pillows too - snugger than the proverbial bug in a rug :)

Dave

Bit extreme for a wedding though Dave...

:D

Dave
Thought you were going to say you had a TV in there with you too Dave;)

that will be because the m3 servcies are rigth next to it and people park up there and go and rob the cars in the services...

Dave

That's the big plus of estate cars over saloons. You can do this properly.

I would rather be in a tent anyday of the week.Or for that my hammock.

Finding a copper if yuo want one would be hard enough round here.

Last edited:
Last time I did this was over 30 years ago in the car park at Sun City in Boputhatswana after a Queen concert followed by 4 hours of roulette and yes, lost the lot :-(

The "Hotel Sierra", I remember it well. A 1.6L in Blue :)

The only other time was in the motorway services on the way home from the legendary late seventies gig when Led Zeppelin played Knebworth. I was shattered and my dads old Maxi was perfect for kipping in.

Footnote: No googling it - Who was the opening act that day ?

Cheers guys. I've got the warm gear and brew kit. TBH this time of year driving up is probably my best option, only 2 hours away and sunrise is 7:55. Setting off at 4 will get me there with time to get to potential location, which I'm yet to pick. Sunday is looking the best day.

Lay in that, I'd go up in the morning.

Having said that there is something nice about getting there the night before (apart from the worrying the alarm won't go off - is that just me?).

I have a super lightweight jack wolfskin tent that I can erect :D in less than a minute, so normally do that but like others have said sleeping in a car is ok if you don't expect any warmth from it.

I'll be doing exactly that in Iceland from Sunday for 4 nights.....Brrrrrr

Look forward to seeing your shots. We are off in a couple of weeks but booked into warm hotels each night which will be nice but I will miss the flexibility I think.

I had been wondering exactly the same thing, I'm glad to hear that it's considered quite normal (by photographers standards). I'm in the middle of the country and working shifts means I get long weekends every now and again. So a spur of the moment run out to god knows where the night before and a kip in the car would be alright for someone as unorganised as me.

Back