Slight damage to OM10

Edit My Images
No
Just acquired an OM10 with lenses and have noticed s small amount of damage on the underside of the camera, very close to the battery compartment. It's either been dropped or taken a bit of a whack at some point in the past. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the silver coloured trim at the base of the camera. I'm tempted to say it's metal, but could be plastic. It seems to be attached by only 2 very small screws but I'm wondering about anything connected to the other side - and so far, that's whats stopping me just undoing the 2 screws! Thanks

The part you want is called a 'bottom plate' should be some knocking about on eBay. Not sure about what might be connected to it, have never disassembled an OM10.

OM10's were my front line cameras for a decade; they had the wonderful property of often being cheaper than a roll of decent film!
I killed a couple of them.. through pure abuse or accident, and one sat infront of me on the record-player is rather battered.. top plate is cracked, the auto-manual/test switch a bit cantankerous, after being dropped off a castle wall when bunted by a tear-away child! B-U-T... still takes pictures, so what the heck!

It was 'superseded' by an OM4, circa 1995, but then I kept returning to the thing as it usually had batteries that weren't 'flat' in it! lol! So it has remained,.. If it aint broke... don't fix it! Oh-Kay.. so it's 'sort' of broke... but still don't really need 'fixing' ..I probably would have bought another, b-u-t, always seemed a waste of money, even at the pocket money prces of 'tens' to invest in a system I had wanted to move away from.. so I still have and still occassionally use the battered ten!

I did make a Franken-Camera out of the first two to get damaged, when I was still at uni and funds tighter, but I have to say that they are a bit fiddly, when opened, and for what they cost, it 'probably' isn't worth the effort... if you have the manual adapter, rob that off, and buy another body! Quarter century ago, there were so many that had been bought for a summer holiday, pampered as precious icons in the original box between outings in which they probably never exposed more than 100 frames, to end up traded in for 'autro-focus' wonder-busses, when they came along, or more often simpler compacts the owner might be more inclined to use, they seldom commanded much more than a tenner in the second hand shops, who usually had two or three of them to choose from!

Under the bottom plate, from memory are a few cogs for the accessory winder mechanism, some circuitry including the contacts for the shutter release of a wider, but not a lot else, ad I have an incling that the battery compartment cover actually screws into the battery charger 'through' the bottom plate, not to the bottom plate itself.

IF the camera 'works' as configured, I would leave it alone and just use it. It's unlikely there is any damage that would impair functionality, though possible that if you fitted a winder, may reveal that gear train is out of align or remote shutter release not so well connected, but you don't 'need' to use winder! So, just ignore, and use and enjoy. They are a fantastic camera for the cash, and can take a remarkable amount of battering before they actually stop working..... unlike an OM4, which doesn't need ANY battering to stop working.. They just need batteries... lots and lots of batteries! lol!

I had the bottom plate off my OM10 to fix a jammed winder, don't recall removing it being difficult, but as others say unless body has sentimental value, another OM10 can usually be found for peanuts.

Back