Slippery pinch lens cap solved

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have found the inner pinch on lens caps impossibly slippery to use.
However an idea from @Stephen L in another thread solved the problem.

Self adhesive High friction tape is used on floors to prevent slipping, and is ideal where a very strong grip is required.
However "be warned" if using it where it can scratch other items, as it undoubtedly will.
This is unlikely when used on the inner pinches of a lens cap. and it provide a remarkably firm grip.

A sample meter length of 25mm wide tape costs only 99p on Ebay which is enough to last several lifetimes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Sli...var=562122965168&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

TA3X5138-web by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

Sticky back Velcro also works well :)(y)

Duh :D

Fuji lens caps, even worse than their battery level indicator and that's saying something.

Fuji lens caps, even worse than their battery level indicator and that's saying something.

No more problem with either of them compared to most other makes.
Though the springs in the pinch caps do seem to be rather weaker than some third party ones.
I always go out with full batteries so rarely look at the battery level indicators. But only a few models seem give any more accurate readings and all of those are approximations as well.
I think Fuji's approach is more sensible. They know it is impossible to be accurate so they do not waste money pretending.

Last edited:
No more problem with either of them compared to most other makes.
Though the springs in the pinch caps do seem to be rather weaker than some third party ones.
I always go out with full batteries so rarely look at the battery level indicators. But only a few models seem give any more accurate readings and all of those are approximations as well.
I think Fuji's approach is more sensible. They know it is impossible to be accurate so they do not waste money pretending.

I find the pinch caps to come off far more easily than other makes I have owned in the past.
Many others also complain of this rather annoying feature

Regards the batteries, how can it be sensible to go from showing half charged to empty in approximately ten or twenty shots.
Also if it was acceptable why have they changed it on the newer models, I go out with full batteries, but still like to know roughly what's left.

Sometimes I think you just like taking a contrary view for the sake of it

Does anyone use these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-Keepe...id=1524570969&sr=8-3&keywords=lens+cap+keeper

Or is the idea of a lens cap flapping about on a piece of string worse than the possibility of losing the lens cap?
I use cheap pinch caps off ebay that come with a cord to feed through a hole in the side.
e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html...id=281702843599&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

I have a lobster clip on the strap which I can quickly hook the cord to
e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html...id=281720435487&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

The expensive to replace Original caps live in the lens boxes in case I sell the lenses.

I don't find the cap swinging to be a problem, seems less likely to transfer pocket lint onto the lens compare with sticking the cap in my jeans each time.

I use 7dayshop caps on my Fuji lenses. I found the Fuji caps were too narrow to be safely stood cap down when changing lenses.

Regards the batteries, how can it be sensible to go from showing half charged to empty in approximately ten or twenty shots.
I believe this technology was originally developed by Nikon for the F100 (especially if you were using lithiums).

I find the pinch caps to come off far more easily than other makes I have owned in the past.
Many others also complain of this rather annoying feature

Also if it was acceptable why have they changed it on the newer models, I go out with full batteries, but still like to know roughly what's left.

Sometimes I think you just like taking a contrary view for the sake of it

I have only had the x10-20 and 30 and the xE2 fuji cameras. I have not had a problem any where near going from half charge to zero in twenty shots.
It is true that the x10 and 20 used very small batteries. But although I always carried a spare I have never got round to using it wheen out.

Back