Slow uploading of pics onto my laptop

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi'yall.

I'm sure this is me being stoopid, but on my new laptop (bought 2nd hand) the transfer time from my card reader to the lappy is incredibly slow.
Took near as damn it 1 hour to transfer 180 raw shots today :eek:
I'm used to using a firewire reader on my PC, so I understand that I am bound to see a difference going back to USB, but not that much!

1 thing, when I plug the reader in to a USB port, I get the little windows message that if I plug it into a USB2 port, it will be faster blah blah.
I thought this machine WAS USB2 :thinking:
Does USB2 ports need a driver?
I have formatted and re-installed XP since I've owned it.

Oh it's a Toshiba Satellite P200 btw!

Have you tried another card reader, i had a similar problem until i replaced the card reader.

USB and USB2 are two different technologies. You can't upgrade a USB port to a USB2 port using drivers. It's hardware. If you're using a USB2 device on a USB port then the device will transfer only as fast as USB allows. So it will be markedly slower than what you're used to.

Cheers scrag68, was thinking of getting another one anyway!!

And thanks kayjay. I understand that, but on my PC I have no problem with this reader, and my PC is USB2.
I thought that for a 2 year old laptop, that would be USB2 as well :thinking:

Sound as though it may be a USB 1 port. That would be slow. Are you running via a hub. That slows things down as well.

If it's any help my MacBook Pro will download 8Gb ( UDMA) card via USB 2 in about 4 mins.

or the ports might not be enabled for usb2 in the bios...this laptop has usb2 ports!

There are loads of variants of the P200 on Toshibas' site, all seem to have USB2 ports on them so it's probably bios or driver related.

Back