smallest camera with video reccomendations

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Looking for a tiny camera that will do video OR a small video camera? But not a gopro as I dont want it to be wide angle all the time that it "think" ? gopro is

Its to mount on top of a dslr to video while i shoot ...

Anyone know whats the smallest.. any reccomendations ? :)

You can make the field of view narrowr with a gopro but it's like digital cropping.
The main contenders are gopro, dji action and maybe Sony X3000
I'd get the DJi most likely, it will be more useful elsewhere than you'd think.

Panasonic TZ100? It has a 1" sensor and a 25-250mm lens.

You can vary the "wideness" of a GoPro's field of view. Another one to consider might be a DJI OSMO Pocket.

You can vary the "wideness" of a GoPro's field of view. Another one to consider might be a DJI OSMO Pocket.

I like that.. love the built in gimble.. but no screw at bottom for atatching to anything...

You can make the field of view narrowr with a gopro but it's like digital cropping.
The main contenders are gopro, dji action and maybe Sony X3000
I'd get the DJi most likely, it will be more useful elsewhere than you'd think.

Juts going through the different reviews THANKS .. the sony x3000 looks good :)

I like that.. love the built in gimble.. but no screw at bottom for atatching to anything...

I have one, its excellent, and you can get various bits to enable it to be attached to things

You can buy various adapters and holders which can offer a tripod bush or compatibility with GoPro attachments. It's quite a versatile piece of kit. Not weatherproof, though, and it's a lot taller than a GoPro.

I use a go pro on mine with hotshot adaptor, so it just sits and I hit record anytime I need, the good thing is it’s always pointing at the action.

Downside it’s doesn't work to well if/as your shooting stills and you will need to turn sound off or remove as the shutter click comes through very loud.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/94737641@N02/uA8MH4

Mines only a 3+, so I have to stabilise in PP but the 7 has built in stabilisation and tests show it to work well.

DJI osmo action is reportedly better but I’ve not tested it yet

Last edited:
Also i think polar pro do a base that allows for some attachments but no idea what, I’m quite sure it adds a standard tripod thread but you need to check this yourself, but I have seen them on mini tripods doing time lapse stuff, so certainly possible.

Last edited:
Massively downgraded for insta but you get the idea

betetr field of view than i thoguht it would... I wouldnt use for a full match .. thinking penalty shootouts would be good :)

I was thinking about this aftre a boxing event i did on friday.. would be brilliant for that surely? are the gopro good in poor light?

i then thought a decent phone attached to top.. but then decided no.. want something less noticable ... will have to look more into gopro and see whats best for the job.. battery lfe.. poor light and stabalisation..

many thanks everyone lots to look at.. still like the sony as well :)

betetr field of view than i thoguht it would... I wouldnt use for a full match .. thinking penalty shootouts would be good :)

I was thinking about this aftre a boxing event i did on friday.. would be brilliant for that surely? are the gopro good in poor light?

i then thought a decent phone attached to top.. but then decided no.. want something less noticable ... will have to look more into gopro and see whats best for the job.. battery lfe.. poor light and stabalisation..

many thanks everyone lots to look at.. still like the sony as well :)
The newer ones have much better low light, as for FOV, you can choose wide or standard and then shot in 4K and then you can crop in PP as you would a picture.

This above is slightly cropped but no stabilisation, Osmo action and go pro 7 both have very good in body stabilisation and low light performance, my GoPro 3+ struggles but it’s old now in comparison

Last edited:
gsVSMqK.jpg

mall panasonic camcorder HC-X900m now replaced ( later model made now) but a brilliant camera takes stills as well . 32gb internal memory an SD card slot as well.

@Pick WOW and thank you.. thats the sort of hands on info this forum is brillaint for... that boxing is very impressive and exactly what I am looking to do.. .. whats the atatchment called if i google it?

mall panasonic camcorder HC-X900m now replaced ( later model made now) but a brilliant camera takes stills as well . 32gb internal memory an SD card slot as well.

Might be a bit big to stick on top of a 1dx to be fair :) have you tried it?

Been watching reviews and discovered the "live stream" option on the GP7 and thats a deal breaker.. unless i get put off ... i think a go pro 7 black for me ...

Might be a bit big to stick on top of a 1dx to be fair :) have you tried it?
This one might be but if you go into Currys they are a lot smaller. worth a trip to go have a look anyway. No wonder you want one if you only use Canon cameras. ;):nikon:

Last edited:
This one might be but if you go into Currys they are a lot smaller. worth a trip to go have a look anyway. No wonder you want one if you only use Canon cameras. ;):nikon:

Nikon can video and take pics at same time then ? :)

Been watching reviews and discovered the "live stream" option on the GP7 and thats a deal breaker.. unless i get put off ... i think a go pro 7 black for me ...

Certainly take a good look at the DJI osmo action, generally seems to get better reviews than GoPro 7, also the vids I've watched it seems to handle low light better, but have a look for yourself.

The big problem with bunging a video camera on the hotshoe is every time you shoot in portrait mode your viewers get sick. I did it without thinking for an airshow (gopro) all well and good untill... oppps now the picture is on it's side.
I dont know if anyone makes a video that can compensate for camera rotation. Maybe easier to stick a tripod of clampod thingie and put the video on that.

Off to Currys in the morning (thur) to buy a gopro hero 7 black .... since loking into this i have decided on loads more usage :)

They are currently £319 which seems to be same all over... you can gte on ebay for 30 but for the sakes of 19 quid prefer the hands on approch and return system

Unless anyone knows a better deal ?

I really appreciate everyones input in this thread.. the boxing video sold me to be completely honest.. then the live stream to fb :)

It is a Hero 7 black, with adapter bought from Amazon
View attachment 247367

hi @Pick
I can only find the small hotshoe adapter that may also catch the lens hood... I can't seem to find what you have attached which seems better.. can you point me in right direction please ?

Last edited:

yes, something like that or this type of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ShipeeKin-...ds=gopro+arms&qid=1561562336&s=gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Pivot-Arm-Adjustable-Monopod/dp/B0756ZKY2R/ref=cts_sp_3_vtp

depends how far you want it to stick out, also (i haven't done it) but maybe plastic, the main problem i find is the GoPro picks up the shutter click quite badly if your taking stills at the same time, not the end of the world, but at football i like to get the crowd sounds, so now i use an external recorder for sound, real pain.

yes, something like that or this type of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ShipeeKin-...ds=gopro+arms&qid=1561562336&s=gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Pivot-Arm-Adjustable-Monopod/dp/B0756ZKY2R/ref=cts_sp_3_vtp

depends how far you want it to stick out, also (i haven't done it) but maybe plastic, the main problem i find is the GoPro picks up the shutter click quite badly if your taking stills at the same time, not the end of the world, but at football i like to get the crowd sounds, so now i use an external recorder for sound, real pain.

I mainly want to make sure i dont get the lens hood on a 70-200 or 24-70 (canon)

Not bothered about sound as it will mostly be for junior football

I mainly want to make sure i dont get the lens hood on a 70-200 or 24-70 (canon)

Not bothered about sound as it will mostly be for junior football
yes, mate, mine mounted direct to the hot shoe, gets the final inch of 70-200 hood, so you really won't need much, I find if I tilt it back very slightly it then missed the hood.

THANKS for those @scott199

Hate seeing the hood.. Have ordered the extra brackets so will higher it slightly i think... Going to do warm ups pre match then action on camera with 70-200 then half time and more action.. just adding it to my service....

bought extra battery.. mem card.. brackets and hot shoe fixture and tripod one as well.. bought some tourque screws for easy tighten and a lens cap... i think thats it.. starting to add up now :) they wont eb with me until after weekend so just getting used to it..

Have set at 2.7k / 60 / linear and auto stabalisation... is that standard? thinking of facebook size screen grabs.. is there a bettermode for screen grabs? I cant play back 4k as yet...nothing seems to play it on my computer

also set to 16:9 aspect

Last edited:
You might have issues with lights flickering using 60fps over 50fps
4K gives you best screen grabs but even 1080p are usually quite decent provided your shutter speed hasn't been forced too slow.

i generally use 2.7k 24 FPS i have tried 4k but i really don't see the need for 4k as its only a sideline for me and 4k is really hard to work with, takes up loads of space and i don't just need to added quality as its outputted in 1080p in 90% of places.

2.7k - 60fps as i might want to slow it down here and there.. I agree re 4k :)

Back