Smallwood Vintage Rally

I'm afraid we won't be able to make it this year, other plans already in place.

Good call Fraser, I'll be up for attending the Smallwood Vintage Rally if the weather is OK. Sunday or Monday would work for me if that suits others?

Sorry you can't make it Andy, won't be quite the same without you and Janet there; but if your other plans should fall through then at least you know you have a back up venue. (y)

Snip:
Is it that time already?

Yes, just a few short weeks until @srichards marks the completion of her winter hibernation by joining us at Smallwood, thus confirming that British springtime has indeed arrived. ;) Teasing aside, hope you can join us there again this year Suz?

What about you @sirch, fancy joining us there again?

Sunday or Monday would suit me so happy to go along with what others find the easiest (y)

Hope to see the new canon in action @Mr Badger .

Sorry to hear that, Suz. Never mind, perhaps you and Mr & Mrs S not being able to attend is a good excuse for us to think about a Sat or Sun in June for an 'F&C locals who couldn't make Smallwood' meet-up as well?

Thanks for the tag @Mr Badger, it would be good to meet up again but I might have other plans that weekend I'll just have to see how it pans out.

Just had a look at the weather forecast and Sat and Sun both look rain-free up to now. Of the three days, I think I'd prefer to go on the Sunday as the dancing diggers aren't there on the Saturday and Monday is probably out as I need to do some gardening. I know @dmb can't make Saturday, so are @Fraser Euan White & @simon ess (and anyone else who fancies bringing a film camera along - @niko and @Harlequin565 perhaps?) OK with Sunday (unless the weather forecast changes), say 11am outside the beer tent, like last year?

Last edited:
Will try and make Sunday, SWMBO is having an op on shoulder on Friday so may or may not need a 'hand' - that said she is trying to work out if she will be round enough from the aneasthetic to make it to a friend's wedding vow renewal on Friday afternoon and the booze up afterwards - her arguement being she had already got the dress.

Oh and I'm being reminded the shoulder injury is photography related and my fault. If I had not lent her that Nikon bridge camera she would not have tried walking up a 45 degree grass slope in sandals and done a somersault into the shrubbery,

Last edited:
Will try and make Sunday, SWMBO is having an op on shoulder on Friday so may or may not need a 'hand' - that said she is trying to work out if she will be round enough from the aneasthetic to make it to a friend's wedding vow renewal on Friday afternoon and the booze up afterwards - her arguement being she had already got the dress.

Oh and I'm being reminded the shoulder injury is photography related and my fault. If I had not lent her that Nikon bridge camera she would not have tried walking up a 45 degree grass slope in sandals and done a somersault into the shrubbery,
Sorry to hear that, I hope Mrs dmb makes a speedy recovery and you can make Sunday. Let me know if you'd like a lift as I've pretty much got to go past the end of your road, but will understand if you need your own car there to remain 'on call' if needed back at home. (y)

Just had a look at the weather forecast and Sat and Sun both look rain-free up to now. Of the three days, I think I'd prefer to go on the Sunday as the dancing diggers aren't there on the Saturday and Monday is probably out as I need to do some gardening. I know @dmb can't make Saturday, so are @Fraser Euan White & @simon ess (and anyone else who fancies bringing a film camera along - @niko and @Harlequin565 perhaps?) OK with Sunday (unless the weather forecast changes), say 11am outside the beer tent, like last year?
thank you,I will try to make it. having some windows/door fitted that weekend so if the house is in one piece and so am i :eek:will point the car that way. so outside beer tent @11 and look for motley crewe with film cameras it is then-hopefully.

thank you,I will try to make it. having some windows/door fitted that weekend so if the house is in one piece and so am i :eek:will point the car that way. so outside beer tent @11 and look for motley crewe with film cameras it is then-hopefully.
Hope you can join us. I'll try to wear an obvious film camera round my neck at the meeting place because (as @Andysnap has been known to rib me about) some of the latter-day Canon EOS 35mm SLRs I like to use bear a passing resemblance to a modern DSLR, so don't stand out in a crowd! I maintain this is due to Canon being light-years ahead in their design! :giggle: ;)

Hope you can join us. I'll try to wear an obvious film camera round my neck at the meeting place because (as @Andysnap has been known to rib me about) some of the latter-day Canon EOS 35mm SLRs I like to use bear a passing resemblance to a modern DSLR, so don't stand out in a crowd! I maintain this is due to Canon being light-years ahead in their design! :giggle: ;)

Similarly my EOS 3, being even bigger :sorry: , often gets folk asking to see what I've just taken or asking what Mk the EOS 5 is.

Last edited:
Sorry but I won't be able to make it, have a good time, may be next year :)

Sorry but I won't be able to make it, have a good time, may be next year :)
Sorry you can't make it this year, Chris. There's always Astle Park Traction Engine Rally at Chelford, held on the second weekend in August. A few of us met up at that one last year too and had an enjoyable day. https://outdoorshows.co.uk/astle-park-traction-engine-rally/ Oh, and despite what they say on that website, Chelford is in North Cheshire (between Knutsford and Macclesfield), so that one is a little bit nearer to you.

I'll have 'nursing duty' on Sunday. Hope the rain holds off for you.

I'll have 'nursing duty' on Sunday. Hope the rain holds off for you.
Sorry you can't make it David, as suggested above, we'll have to arrange another 'locals' meet-up for those who couldn't attend this time. So get your thinking cap on everybody, as we're open to suggestions.

Latest forecast is light rain until 1pm, then brightening up, so not too bad (touch wood). I find changing weather conditions can make for a better variety of photo opportunities at outdoor events. I'll take 400, 200 and 100 ISO film with me, including some Ilford XP2 400, which can be shot at 200 ISO on the same roll when it brightens up, so should have things covered. :)

So shall we review things on here at 9.30am tomorrow and confirm attendance, meeting at 11am outside the beer tent as planned, unless otherwise agreed?

sorry guys couldn't make it, still work ongoing here. hope it was a great day, and I will hopefully make it to the next one

Sorry you couldn't join us Niko, we had an enjoyable day wandering round the show and the weather wasn't bad at all, with good light once it had finished drizzling about noon. Slept well last night so must have walked further than I thought!

Looking forward to the next locals meet, which looks like being the WW1 event mentioned above, weather permitting.

Sorry you couldn't join us Niko, we had an enjoyable day wandering round the show and the weather wasn't bad at all, with good light once it had finished drizzling about noon. Slept well last night so must have walked further than I thought!

Looking forward to the next locals meet, which looks like being the WW1 event mentioned above, weather permitting.
Drove past Astle Park today, advertising 1000 engine rally 15/16th June. Also vintage rally at Rode Heath on 8/9 June.

That was a very enjoyable, relaxing day. Thanks chaps.
My roll of Fomapan 100 from the 'Cord is drying.

That's quick Simon!

might do a roll today myself.

Really enjoyed the day- very relaxing and managed to get out with a camera :)

Was that the 'lens flare challenge' shot Simon?

Will be sending my two rolls off tomorrow, so hopefully will have the negs back by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Back