Smart meters, good, bad or ugly?

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
For the last 2 years or so EDF keep telling me I MUST have a smart meter, in line with government guidance,
worded in such a way that they make it sound like law.
Previous to that, EON did the same, for a couple or so years.

I've always replied that I use what I need no more no less. ( it seems I'm £30 in credit on the recent reading)
And the fact that so many people have reported issues of non working meters, and having to supply readings,
or they were over charged ( either or).

It no big deal for me to read my own meters twice a year and submit the readings via the web.
As they have been bugging me again with emails, phone calls ( so much so I've blocked their number) and letters through the post,
I just wondered if they have improved, over the last few years?

There is nothing that says having a smart meter is mandatory, in fact quite the opposite.
Anything the energy supplier pesters you to have is only going to be for their benefit.
Many places have stopped installing them because of the fluctuating and unreliable data connection.

Woman at the end of our terrace had one and it gave her endless problems with exaggerated meter readings.
No way am I having one and asked my energy supplier (BG) to put me on a non mailing list.
Have to say they were true to their word and I have never been bothered again.

There is nothing that says having a smart meter is mandatory, in fact quite the opposite.
Agreed and as I mentioned, but they use threats such as being put on a higher tariff, if I didn't have one ;)
Woman at the end of our terrace had one and it gave her endless problems with exaggerated meter readings.
So it continues then :(

I’ve had a smart meter for a while and TBH the only advantage I’ve come across is that I can tell when the oven is up to temperature while I’m in the lounge by looking at the monitor thingy to save having to get off my backside and go into the kitchen……

Had to deal with Mrs Nod's Mum's provider who was telling her the same thing. They stopped pestering her when I pointed out that there's no mobile signal and she doesn't have internet and told them that if she received another call or letter about it, she would be changing suppliers. AFAIK, they haven't contacted her again.

I was supposed to have smart meter installed last December as part of a fixed tariff contract I signed up to in September
but it turned out I couldn't have one for some reason

Then I saw this, might not have been the same site but similar and was glad to doge it

Last edited:
They're not mandatory
I'm not sure if there's still an issue if you switch suppliers. I've not tried as my usage is quite low and no-one's ever been able to offer me a better deal with single fuel (no mains gas)
It doesn't work off your internet (mine's shut down when I'm not using it) and our mobile signal isn't that good, but mine always seems to phone home okay
They don't save you energy unless you proactively monitor it and use it to cut down where you can
I bit their hand off to get one as reading my meter used to entail clearing a cupboard including taking a shelf down, dragging a chair into the cupboard, climbing on the chair with a pen, paper and torch, writing down the reading, getting down off the chair and putting everything away again. Took ages. And for some reason the supplier's prompt to read the meter didn't get to me though every other email from them did. We never got to the bottom of that one
I haven't had any issues. Usage and bills are exactly as expected.
I'm with EDF and it's electric only (the gas main misses the entire village by half a mile...........). Not sure if that makes a difference.
They're not the spawn of the devil, but if you don't want one, don't get one

I bit their hand off to get one as reading my meter used to entail clearing a cupboard including taking a shelf down, dragging a chair into the cupboard, climbing on the chair with a pen, paper and torch, writing down the reading, getting down off the chair and putting everything away again. Took ages.
The gas is under the stairs and the electric is in the garage, just a couple of minutes and no big deal for me.
But I see your point though.

They're not the spawn of the devil, but if you don't want one, don't get one
I was just wondering if they have improved over the last few years, going on the above I guess the general answer is no.

I have one now because I moved into a newly built flat just over a year ago. Prior to that, I was just like you and refused to have one (and would have continued doing so). Even being in a wheelchair, reading an ordinary meter wouldn't have been a problem as it's in a cupboard in my hallway, but my gas meter is outdoors and inaccessible to me. :facepalm:

Even though there has never been any other kind of meter here, they still hassle me to have one fitted too. They also still want me to submit manual readings, so what's the point? :mad:

Tell 'em to get stuffed - it only means you'll get higher bills when they start to vary the charges at different times.

We have a smart meter and no issues so far, scary looking at the readings though. Don’t know if they are all the same but ours has to be located in rooms quite close to the outside meters to get a signal.

More refuseniks here! :tumbleweed:

The company we're with contracts out their meter checking to a third party who have been pestering us about this on and off for quite some time. Every so often we complain to the billing company and the annoyance ceases for a while and then they're back on whittering about the advantages - which are zero.

We inherited ours as they were already here when we moved. The monitor we also inherited only sees the electric use, it can’t pick up the gas meter for some reason. To me they’re pointless to most consumers, despite the govt pushing us all to have one. I know the argument was that the energy companies need everyone to have one to work out our consumption for future national grid planning but I can’t see how that will happen when there’ll be a massive uptake in electric vehicles in the coming years. Nobody can predict how much that uptake will be until conventional engined cars are no longer available or seen as undesirable.. Then there’s the issue with gas boilers being banned in new homes (and possibly all new boiler installs and replacements being eventually stopped), which will mean a big growth in electric heat pumps. So our energy planning is a how long is a piece of string question right now. The only reason I can see for the energy companies wanting smart meters is so they can vary their charges at peak demand times….that’s something I can definitely see coming in.

A smart meter doesn’t make any difference to our personal energy use anyway: just because I can see a real time reading it doesn’t mean I’m going to turn down the heating or stop using the kettle or toaster. We’ve already got decent insulation, LED bulbs everywhere and most of our appliances are reasonably new and low energy rated. It’s not like I can do much else to lower our energy use, beyond having an expensive heat pump installation.

The only reason I can see for the energy companies wanting smart meters is so they can vary their charges at peak demand times….that’s something I can definitely see coming in.
I hadn't thought of that, but its a very good point.

For the last 2 years or so EDF keep telling me I MUST have a smart meter, in line with government guidance,
worded in such a way that they make it sound like law.
Previous to that, EON did the same, for a couple or so years.

I've always replied that I use what I need no more no less. ( it seems I'm £30 in credit on the recent reading)
And the fact that so many people have reported issues of non working meters, and having to supply readings,
or they were over charged ( either or).

It no big deal for me to read my own meters twice a year and submit the readings via the web.
As they have been bugging me again with emails, phone calls ( so much so I've blocked their number) and letters through the post,
I just wondered if they have improved, over the last few years?
I'm on E-On for Gas and Electricity bills and nobody's told me I've GOT to have a meter.

I ignored the emails for a while. Eventually my supplier started ringing me once a week (although they aren't mandatory, I think suppliers have to get a certain %age of customers onto them). Eventually I gave in. They told me it would be done in 45 mins and the power would need interrupting for no more than 10 mins.

The guy turned up about 4 hours late and started with the electric. I had to lend him a key to open the meter cupboard which didn't bode well. Power was off for about 2 hours (fortunately we didn't need it at that point). After a while it went dark and he swapped to the gas meter. Then he spent about an hour standing in the kitchen trying to get them to talk to the home readout. The he explained that they could take "up to 48 hrs" to sync. It was late and I wanted him out of the house so I didn't mention just how ridiculous that was.

One of them works, the other one we still have to read. The display is in a drawer because it never worked. I had half a mind to complain but then they went bankrupt.

The new firm have started vaguely mentioning they want to install one......

I know the argument was that the energy companies need everyone to have one to work out our consumption for future national grid planning
...which, as you probably realise, is grade "A" round objects.

The truth is that all that matters is how much is used overall and in roughly what areas (to allow for transmission losses).

In my opinion, they provide no advantage to the customer. If someone really wishes to know how much they use per day, all they need do is glance at their existing meter and copy the numbers into a notebook or their phone...

iPhone spread sheet TZ70 P1030853.JPG

Last edited:
Like others I have resisted because I cannot see the advantage to me. I did see that one company is starting a trial whereby customers will be charged less if they use power outside certain times. I can see that if it takes off they will actually start charging people more if they use power during the specified times. That may be the time to get them.

They're not mandatory. My supplier asked once and hasn't bothered me again. Friend had one installed and they damaged a kitchen cupboard and also screwed up the installation so touching the electric cooker gave them a shock as they somehow managed to mess up the earthing. :oops: :$

They're just a way of introducing peak time pricing to make the less well off use less peak time power.

They money wasted on them should have been used for insulation and actual energy saving measures.

SMETS2 has mostly been a total disaster in the roll out. SMETS1 end up dumb when you change supplier. It's been a total shambles from start to finish. The original smart gas meters would fail in a power cut so you couldn't even keep a gas fire running. Utterly useless things.

I'm on E-On for Gas and Electricity bills and nobody's told me I've GOT to have a meter.
No one has told me that either, as I said they are inferring that its law when they contact me.

Eventually my supplier started ringing me once a week
Mine was ringing me every day, hence why I blocked their number.

I did see that one company is starting a trial whereby customers will be charged less if they use power outside certain times.
What was that called? economy 7 is that still a thing?

the installation so touching the electric cooker gave them a shock as they somehow managed to mess up the earthing. :oops: :$
:eek:

What was that called? economy 7 is that still a thing?

Yes, I was on that in my last place because I had storage heaters - useless bloody things. I was paying five times as much in electricity for my heating than I am with gas here. Mind you, by all accounts it'll probably end up the same pretty soon . . . :rolleyes:

Just seen that some water customers in South West Water's area MUST have meters fitted to save more water. Pretty sure that SWW lose around 20% in leaks in their own pipework...

MUST have meters fitted to save more water.
I've been on a water meter for a few years now.I must admit that did save me a fortune, went from nearly £600 / year
to this current year £216 / £18 per month.
I am in credit by £36 as of last year, I could have had the money but I opted for reduced payments.

(Anglia water)

Reactions: Nod
I think it’s been demonstrated by these responses that there isn’t an advantage to the customer.

The last time I had the usual annoying call from my supplier, I asked the caller to state the advantage, to me, of having a meter. They ended the call abruptly!

QED

4 maybe 5 years ago I received an email from my supplier announcing that they would be at the the house on apredertimed date and time to fit the meters, since we were going to be in Portugal at that time I ignored it, fella turned up and after a neighbour saw a strange van in the drive and someone trying doors she called the police, never heard anything more. Seems companies may be in some kind of trouble if they don’t get a certain percentage of customers on these, if the company wants me to take them, there will need to be a financial advantage in my favour, not much chance of that then.

We’ve recently got one , I wasn’t keen at all but the missus got them in to fit one
Can’t see the point the bloody display unit never works properly unless it’s in the garage next to the meter
Gas readings that it shows are either zero or stupid numbers, the electric readings seem about right when the thing is working
Big mistake getting it

We got one about 18 months ago now. It's never really worked properly and after umpteen phonecalls, it still doesn't. We have no electricity reading, the gas seems ok. I don't have to submit monthly readings now, as it's all working on our supplier's side, of course.

In principal, when it's working, it's handy to know the costs in near realtime but at the moment, I find myself reading the electricity meter the old fashioned way and working it out by cost per KW/h with a pen and paper, if I need to.

TBH though, it's not something I take much notice of, as long as the monthly payments don't get out of hand, I'm happy.

Parents have one that doesn’t work. We are not having one until compelled to or there is an advantage to us having one. As I see it at the moment there is zero advantage to having one.

Just seen that some water customers in South West Water's area MUST have meters fitted to save more water. Pretty sure that SWW lose around 20% in leaks in their own pipework...
They do but if there is only two of you in a house there is probably an advantage to you (the customer) having a water meter. We have had one for 25 years and have saved money.

As have we. My point was that if SWW weren't losing so much water themselves, we wouldn't need to try to save it.

Because I only bathe at the Flat about twice/three times a week now, I don't use as much water as I used to.

What also helps is making coffee in the Microwave rather than filling the Kettle, except when I have company then I make multiple teas or coffees using the Kettle.

Bulb kept asking politely but I just ignore them. Takes a minute or 2 to put the readings in on the app once a month as the meters are easily accessible inside.

We have a smart meter, but when we changed supplier it stopped working. So I binned the display unit as we were told the older units couldn't be updated. Fast forward to the beginning of this month and my meters have started to be smart again.

Getting a water meter reduced my bill from £65/mo (rateable value) to £13/mo (actual use). There was a lot of hoo-hah about water meters as well which were going to be terrible, but as far as I can see the only terrible thing is I'm paying £50/mo less, which is only terrible for the water company.

I imagine someone will be along to explain why I shouldn't have one though.

As for a smart meter on the electric, it means I can (when I get round to it) switch to a tariff which gets me cheap electric from 00.30 to 04.30.

I think it’s been demonstrated by these responses that there isn’t an advantage to the customer.
I never for a minute thought there was, it was more asking if they have improved over the last few years, I guess the answer is a resounding no.

Seems companies may be in some kind of trouble if they don’t get a certain percentage of customers on these,
That seems to be their over riding factor, I never even considered that until now.

but as far as I can see the only terrible thing is I'm paying £50/mo less, which is only terrible for the water company.
I was sceptical also, but I had quite a long discussion via live chat.
it seems even if you don't have a meter they can tell how much you are using.
"She" told me exactly how much I was using, (Volume) and how much the actual cost was.
Initially my water bill was halved, and for the next couple of years it decreased steadily,
I'm now paying roughly a third of the pre metered price.

TBH though, it's not something I take much notice of, as long as the monthly payments don't get out of hand, I'm happy.
As above, I use what I need (Dual fuel) nothing more nothing less.

Coincidentally, I read about this today. I'll be brief :D

NI Water and Scottish Water are state-owned and there's no compulsion to install a meter in Wales* (see last paragraph)

58% of homes in England and Wales are metered.

Water shortages: England only.

Not atall. Not surprisingly..Manchester & north . Somerset-Devon-Cornwall.

Existing serious shortage.. From the Midlands east and South including the Isle of Wight.

New serious shortages Gloucestershire but not S.Glos -Worcesteshire-Shropshire-Cheshire-Derbyshire-Hampshire-Worcestershire-Warwickshire-Leicestershire

Probably missed some out but the county names weren't shown on the map just colour-coded.

Now the nitty-gritty.

Post 2013 survey by EA.

Companies already allowed to install meters without customer's consent.

Southern Water- SE Water- Thames Water - SES Water - Affinity Water.. (Beds Berks ,Bucks-Essex-Herts-Surrey and parts of Inner London.)

Anglian..Wessex and Suffolk Water could have joined them but chose not to.

Latest Survey by the Environment Agency since 2013 also allows the following companies to install without consent:

Cambridge Water-Portsmouth Water- South Staffs- Severn Trent -Veolia Water (Formerly Three Valleys Water and covers Hertfordshire and parts of Surrey, North London and Bedfordshire) -Wessex Water and South West Water.

In non-stressed areas in England and all of Wales * water companies will generally give two years trial with the option to switch back if you're not happy. The meter will remain installed and in the event that the house is sold the new occupants have no choice....they'll be on the meter.

Last edited:
I'll be brief :D
Companies already allowed to install meters without customer's consent.
They (Anglia water) installed one, a few years ago, when my ad-joining neighbour went on a meter.
I asked the guy doing the work, and his response was they were installing meters, but "you" had to ask for it to be activated.

In non-stressed areas in England and all of Wales * water companies will generally give two years trial with the option to switch back if you're not happy.
I also had that option.

Smart meters are for controlling smart white goods in your home when power demand peaks. There's no saving whatsoever unless it scares you to turn off all your electric.

We have had one for a couple of years ( Scottish power) it does help to monitor your daily usage if your bothered ,but it also stops strangers coming round every few months to read the meters . I can’t honestly see any downside to them .. and think we might even apply for a water meter after reading this thread

,but it also stops strangers coming round every few months to read the meters
I've not had my meters read in years . Although apparently they are supposed to read them every 12 months as part of a "safety check" yeah right.

and think we might even apply for a water meter after reading this thread
Its the only one that is likely to save you money. (y)

Back