Smoke Art: The Coat of Arms

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Decided to have a go at smoke art. In the past, all my attempts were particularly naff, and armed with the knowledge that things can only get better... I tried again.

So out came the incense stick and a box of matches, the daughter to hold the flash gun off to the side of the smoke, and a black back drop.

25 shutter presses later, and only two made any decent kind of pattern, and of those two, only one more had any potential. I thought afterwards that it was maybe like an elaborate "coat of arms".

So here it is.

C&C as always appreciated.

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 450D
Image Date: 2009:12:21 21:06:57
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 48.0mm
CCD Width: 4.18mm
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focus Distance: 0.52m
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
Photographer: Copyright www.pauliddon.co.uk

Paul.

nice photo paul just brought a macro lens and ring flash so will be trying this soon..

yeah i see what you mean, you reckon i could use my ring flash ? or do you need a side light source?

brilliant cheers Paul i'll give it ago :)

Thats not bad matey.

Yet another one to try over xmas.

md

ps Thanks for all the info..

delete duplicate post

Last edited:
great picture!

a tip ive had for these to focus is to have a small (not powerful) desk lamp to one side to light the smoke up enough to see it to focus, and when the picture is taken the flash over powers that light so the lamp has no effect.

might be worth a go?

That looks a bit like the logo/mask from The Punisher. Excellent!

Really like that, must have a try. So now I can add josticks to my new bizarre shopping lists to feed my macro habit!

Barney

P.S. Where the hell do you buy josticks in the high street?

P.S. Where the hell do you buy josticks in the high street?

Ours were from a shop called "Instore", but stores run by "Wilkinsons" and I'm sure plenty other shops, and university campus shops too will have them.

Paul.

very nice shot (y)

Nice.

I found joss sticks smoke a little thin. For a really fat smoke trail I used a smoke pen from RS Components.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4945963

Works really well and lasts ages. Just don't do it near a smoke alarm and remember to open a window occaisionally.

A few of mine:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=125595
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=125688
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=125977

As mentioned elsewhere Paul. Cracking shot. Very nicely done. :)

355858 I'd consider using your 18-105 as using the macro lens would require you be quite far back from the smoke. At least with your wider lens you could position yourself comfortably and frame the shot more easily :)

Paul took his at 48mm.

Give it a go :)

nice
this is one of mine
l

Hehe, SAM, unless your image locations are being blocked in work, did you use black smoke against a black background as I can't see a thing :)

If anyone else can see them, darn my company web filtering to damnation :)

I am intrigued as to how you managed to get the kind of "mirror image" effect in photoshop or whatever. One smoke trail kind of facing the other if you know what i mean. I doubt you do because i am not sure i know myself:D

I am intrigued as to how you managed to get the kind of "mirror image" effect in photoshop or whatever. One smoke trail kind of facing the other if you know what i mean. I doubt you do because i am not sure i know myself:D

The original shot was a single smoke trail. Black background, grey smoke. The blue is a result of my photoshopping.

To make the finished image, I extended the canvas by as much again a the original, and black like the background. Then I selected all the original, copied it, and flipped it so it faced right, and then lined them up together down the centre. Then some localised erasing and cloning to tidy up edges and flattened to get the final image.

Final act was to add a small keystroke in the same blue as the smoke.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Back