smooth panning and zooming

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
hi all - had a quick look for topics on this but can't see anything obvious...

I've got a Manfrotto 725B tripod with ball head and I'm looking at getting my first video head.

I don't think I can remove the ball head from this tripod though... is it possible to bolt a video head on top as it were, or will i need a new tripod also?

Any suggestions on a decent video head for smooth panning ideally under £100?

Also, how are people getting smooth zooming with Canon lenses?

It's not ideal, namely because of the additional weight on the ball head what with a camera AND and additional head, but also because there may be play in the ball head that affects the pan on the additional head.

You may be able to get a replacement column for your tripod that you could fit a video head to. Are you 100% sure the head on your tripod doesn't unscrew?...

RE: Giottos head - I fitted mine to a Redsnapper 3-section tripod and with a gripped D7000, 2xTC and 70-200mm f/2.8 it performed brilliantly for the money. It just needed the QR racking back and forward to fin the balance point but it was as good.

A good cheap tripod with fluid-type head is the Velbon DV7000 - out looks plasticky (it is made from plastic) but it's high quality and the pan/tilt function is brilliant. The QR plate is fine aside from the cork mount not gripping very well on big lenses. I use one of these also and it's impressive.

Last edited:
Back