weekly Snipet's Photo52: Week 12 - USED JOKER (Added To 1st Page)

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys and Girls,
I've decided to join in with this years Photo52 challenge. I hope you all enjoy my photos, and all comments and critique are most welcome and well received.

The camera I'll be using is my Canon 50D, plus a mixture of my lens: Sigma 105mm, Canon 70-300mm and my Canon 17-85mm.

Personal Rules and Regulations:
1) Shot must be taken during the specified weeks theme, No using Old photo's (no matter how tempting),
2) Shot must still resemble the original off the camera, No over the top Photoshopping,
3) Only One shot will we submitted for each theme, and will not be swapped/changed for any reason (Comment/Suggestions will be used for the shot outside of the challenge),
4) I will add a description to all my photo's with a brief explanation about the shot,
5) Ive given myself 5 jokers to use. They will be marked off as, if and when I use them:
JOKER (Used on week 12)
JOKER
JOKER
JOKER
JOKER

Week 01: Direction

Photo52: Week 01 - Direction by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
My take on the first weeks theme, apologies for the morbid nature.
Due to some recent events I've come to realise that what ever twists and turns you make in life, in the end the only direction we are all heading towards is death. So make sure you all enjoy your journeys.

Week 02: Fear

Photo52: Week 02 - Fear by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
I had a very definite idea in mind for this weeks theme, Fear of the unknown.
Although I couldn't quite get it to come out quite like I had pictured in my head, I'm still very happy with the results and take on the theme.
This item was ordered especially for this picture and I was expecting it to measure around 1 inch long, click HERE to see a comparison to what size it actually came as. A bit more difficult to do what I wanted with it this size.

Week 03: Sigh

Photo52: Week 03 - Sigh by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
An indescribably difficult theme this week, and after many hours of racking my brain and many many times trying to get the picture, this was my best result.
My take on this week, is a sigh of relief. You've all had the heart stopping moment when you drop a glass off the counter. Everything goes slow motion, and you get that huge sigh or relief when you're able to catch it just before it hits the floor.

Week 04: Sweet

Photo52: Week 04 - Sweet by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
My take on this weeks theme, with the help of the lovely model Susan.
She was more than willing to pose for this odd photo for me when I asked for a volunteer, so had to take advantage.
The make-up artist painted her lips with a think layer of candy coloured lip gloss, followed by painstakingly placing sugar all over Susan's lips.

Week 05: Secure

Photo52: Week 05 - Secure by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
I know this is a very early entry but as soon as I saw this weeks theme I knew what I wanted.
My original idea was of just a finger print scanner, but it just didn't work with only one finger.
So my second try was a hand-print scanner, which I think works really well.
This is my most extensively PP'd shot so far, but it did need it as I couldn't work out how to get squares or circles on my fingers before the photo was taken.

Week 06: Industry

Photo52: Week 06 - Industry by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
Had a few idea's for this weeks theme, and spent a few days taking different shot in different locations.
I couldn't find what I wanted to photograph for love nor money, and although I took alot of shots none really jumped out at me.
Due to this I've decided to go back into my comfort zone which is macro, and after a bit of time and some tweaking around, I'm fairly happy with my finishing result.

Last edited:
Week 07: Root

Photo52: Week 07 - Root by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
I was determined this week not to go down the plant root route, but go for something slightly different but remain within my macro comfort zone.
I did spend quiet a while trying to find a real or at-least realistic tooth but to no avail. So had to make due with a piece of jewellery.

Week 08: Handmade

Photo52: Week 08 - Handmade by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
I used to love making origami models, and challenged myself years ago to try and make them as small as possible. Unfortunately this jumping frog is the only one I can remember how to make from memory. I've placed it on a 5 pence piece to give some scale of how small it is, and yes before you ask it does work and jumps very well.

Week 09: Money

Photo52: Week 09 - Money by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
My sincerest apologies for taking this theme as directly as I have this week. I wanted to do a completely different shot but unfortunately I just haven't got the time, money or resources at the moment to pull it off.
So a simple yet obvious shot is has had to be, Hope you guys and girls like it never the less though.

Week 10: Win

Photo52: Week 10 - Win by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
A themed picture well suited to one of my personal interests this week. I absolutely love playing poker, and most people (poker players or not) know that the best hand possible is a royal flush. This hand is unbeatable and a guaranteed win, and as such you only have a 1 in 649,350 chance of getting it.

Week 11: Shiny

Photo52: Week 11 - Shiny by Gareth Davies, on Flickr
Been waiting for a theme like this, so I could use a watch I purchased for the sole purpose of photographing it.
I hate wearing watches so its just been lying around for a fair old while now, but as its nice and shiny I thought this weeks theme would suit it great.

Week 12: JOKER
Sorry for not posting a picture this week, I know what I wanted but I just didnt have the patience to get it, this is mainly due to my motorbike being stolen. I have lost not only my transportation but most of my will to do anything apart from get back out on the road.
If we get a RESHOOT card come up, I may try to shoot this theme again. Hopefully with more success.

Last edited:
Week 13: <THEME>

Week 14: <THEME>

Week 15: <THEME>

Week 16: <THEME>

Week 17: <THEME>

Week 18: <THEME>

Last edited:
Week 19: <THEME>

Week 20: <THEME>

Week 21: <THEME>

Week 22: <THEME>

Week 23: <THEME>

Week 24: <THEME>

Week 25: <THEME>

Week 26: <THEME>

Week 27: <THEME>

Week 28: <THEME>

Week 29: <THEME>

Week 30: <THEME>

Week 31: <THEME>

Week 32: <THEME>

Week 33: <THEME>

Week 34: <THEME>

Week 35: <THEME>

Week 36: <THEME>

Week 37: <THEME>

Week 38: <THEME>

Week 39: <THEME>

Week 40: <THEME>

Week 41: <THEME>

Week 42: <THEME>

Week 43: <THEME>

Week 44: <THEME>

Week 45: <THEME>

Week 46: <THEME>

Week 47: <THEME>

Week 48: <THEME>

Hello Gareth. Looks like your thread nearly got buried on the second page - there's that many people taking part in the Photo52! Very exciting. I can't wait to see what you've come up with for the first week's theme.

Ah, well organised indeed ... my thread looks like my office :eek:

Thanks for the comments guys, look forward to taking and getting my first pic up. Best get my thinking cap on.

I agree it is a great interpretation Gareth but the shot looks quite underexposed somewhat, give it a levels boost in PP to sort it. Great bit of thinking Mate and looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. ;)

Thanks for the comments guys, glad my interpretation has been warmly welcomed.
I was aiming for a dark subject and processing due to the nature of the shot. But will take on all suggestions for future shots.

Hi, Gareth, I like it. Nice and close, great contrast and well exposed. Nice angle and it almost as a 3D effect.

Cheers and keep it up (y)

I'd side with those saying it is slightly too dark. Overall exposure suites it but I struggle to see any of the detail in the statue - I think it would benefit from selectively adding more contrast here. All just my personal choice though ;)

Toby

I think the problem I'm having here on the darkness, is that all I have yo use for my photos is a laptop. And if you've ever used one, depending on what angle the screen is and where your veiwing from, the brightness changes alot.
So I'm seeing a much brighter pic than what everyone else is seeing, thanks again for all the comments though, they are all taken on board and will be used in future shots. X

I do like the edit, but gonna stick with my first post. my personal challenge is to do the pic how i see and take all comments on board but not change my submitted pic. I will have a play with the pic at home. I may try again if one of those reshoot cards come up.

Just wanted to add, that when posiview did an edit on my shot, I did have the 'edit my photo' option ticked. I have now unticked it for future shots, but am happy for the above pic to remain as it was posted before I changed it.

Last edited:
I will agree it looks a little dark but in your defence i have seen it on your monitor and it looks lighter so will let you off. Good angle as well you must have taken a while to come up with the idea :LOL:
Organised thread :shrug: its about the only thing

I like it, and it is a picture which you could do lots of PP to and get various looks if you so wish. Lovely bit of masonary.

Must admit, it was quite hard to get it how i wanted. You change one thing on an area to make it look good, and it changes the whole pic :LOL:

Did enjoy having a play with it though, really looking forward to the up coming weeks.

Yeah, a question mark. Was hoping for it to be bigger to get the shape a bit more defined. But had to use this one, enjoyed the challenge of getting it to work though I must say.

HI Gareth.....'pologies for taking so long to catch up with your thread:crying:

Direction....yup...like your thinking & the angle...as others have mentioned,needs to be a tad lighter for me.

I do however admire you for sticking to your guns about editing....this is your challenge & all shots should be how YOU see them (y)

Fear... couldn't see the connection at 1st but then it dawned on me...right on theme...Fear of the unknown...nice take & well shot...little DOF maybe ?

Look forward to seeing the rest of your project...good luck (y)

like the macro shot and think the angle you took it is spot on, just looks a tad dark again just like your first weeks challenge thou, so will put it down to my monitor
I do find in a dark photo your loge is a bit distracting :shrug:

Hi Gareth, a very good take on the theme! A great use of the question mark for the unknown. Looks like you have done a good job, I think the dof works well with the subject.

Fear... couldn't see the connection at 1st but then it dawned on me...right on theme...Fear of the unknown...nice take & well shot...little DOF maybe ?

Had to use my Sigma 105mm with all three kenko extension tubes for this shot as it was so small. Which meant the DOF was tiny, this was an 80 second exposure at F18. Any less and i was lucky to get even the ball at the bottom in focus. But saying that there is no cropping done here, so could have shot wider I suppose.

And ill let you off Lynne, im struggling to get round to peoples threads to, there are just so many :bang:

like the macro shot and think the angle you took it is spot on, just looks a tad dark again just like your first weeks challenge thou, so will put it down to my monitor
I do find in a dark photo your loge is a bit distracting :shrug:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the logo :)lol:), but seemed to brighten up when I saved it, compared to what it showed in Photoshop.

Last edited:
Direction : Excellent... I love images like this... it does seem a little dark to me, but that also somewhat fits the theme and the thinking behind it.

Fear : This doesn't directly speak to me of Fear (I guess fear of the unknown)... I do like the image though...

Fear : This doesn't directly speak to me of Fear (I guess fear of the unknown)... I do like the image though...

Thanks for the comments, as a personal preference I'm trying to take a lless direct or literal approach to the themes.
We'll see how long that lasts in the coming weeks though :)

Playing catch up on here

Firsly well done for such a well organised thread! (y)

Direction - I love the shot and the angle, as said a tad more lightening would be nicer but it's what YOU were going for that counts.

Fear - love the idea but for me it could do with a spot more DOF! A little on the tight side for my liking.

looking forward to seeing the next 50 weeks

wardie

Back