weekly Snipet's Photo52: Week 12 - USED JOKER (Added To 1st Page)

Catching up as well there are so many 52's. Organised or what.

DIRECTION I like the way you are thinking and you picked a subject worthy of the theme. I like the photo, it is a bit dark as others have said. It is well taken but if you were to improve the feeling of going to the spirit world try to edit it with a slight graduated light top to bottom like the heavens are opening. Just my thoughts.

FEAR I first thought ,do you take this?, have you paid your tax?, did you sleep with? type questions and it worked so whatever you intended it has worked on different levels as well. Good picture.

Only 50 left of thinking out of the box. I look forward to seeing them.

Getting through them tonight,

Direction i agree with what as already been posted, the idea is great, but you can't see enough detail due to the darkness.

Fear - like this one a lot as it can relate to so may things, the focus and dof are spot on to my eyes

Darren, Martin and Liz cheers for taking the time to have a look and comment in my Photo52 thread.
There are so many of them aren't there.

Hope your all enjoying the challenge as much as I am so far. Look forward to seeing everyone interpretations.

Hi i do like the first pic as it captures the theme of direction have to honest not sure what the question mark has to do with the theme of fear, but is a nice pic

Hi Gareth :)

Wk1 - A Great composition and a great thought for the theme - I dont mind it dark as Death is a sooo dark subject

Wk2 - Such a shallow dof on such a tiny question mark - again a nice different take on the theme, after looking at the image and not understanding, reading the description below made it suddenly make sense

Really looking forward to the rest of your 52, looks as though there will be some great takes !!!! (y)

I like the shot, its got good effective lighting and focus but if I am honest it doesn't say fear to me, More why. Good idea though fear of the unknown is ever present.

This weeks blooming hard theme, uploaded and added. As always any and all comments appreciated.

I like the take on the theme I was going to go for a different sigh of relief IE relieving ones self lol

Glad you went for a pic of just your foot in the bath, rather than you sat on the bog then :LOL:

Thanks for the comment on my theme to, I think we might lose a few people cause of this weeks difficult theme so early on.

That’s a very good interpretation on this week’s theme and well taken with lots of motion blur on the glass focus and exposed really well too, (y) only thing I don’t like is your black sleeve. :thumbsdown:

Excellent shot this week Gareth and a perfect fit although I usually let out an expletive straight after a sigh when this happens and the glass hits the floor :LOL:

That’s a very good interpretation on this week’s theme and well taken with lots of motion blur on the glass focus and exposed really well too, (y) only thing I don’t like is your black sleeve. :thumbsdown:

Did try to clone/heal it out, but just couldn't get it to work effectively. And trying to crop it out, just made the whole shot to tight. The amount of shots I tried though, i couldn't be bothered to re-shoot again just to take the sleeve out.

Excellent shot this week Gareth and a perfect fit although I usually let out an expletive straight after a sigh when this happens and the glass hits the floor :LOL:

Must admit i was thinking of doing that shot, but as i struggled to get what I wanted with the many many shots I took trying to get this one, that one in one shot would be impossible.
Might try if the theme 'bugger' comes up. :)

Last edited:
good take on the theme, now in the spirit of the 52 how do you do that, do you use a tripod, focus and then take the shot on timer, or is it someone else?

For this shot I had:
◦ Camera with 430ex external flash mounted on a tripod,
◦ Camera set at F14 to get a 2 second exposure,
◦ Flash set to fire at the end of the 2 seconds rather than at the beginning of the shot, as i wanted to capture the glass in my hand not as it was falling.
◦ Then I just held the glass above shot, hit the shutter and then lowered my hand into the shot and held it steady for the flash at the end.

All sounds simple until you try to do it all quickly while keeping your dropping hand straight, and falling at a steady pace the whole shot. :LOL:

Last edited:
For this shot I had:
◦ Camera with 430ex external flash mounted on a tripod,
◦ Camera set at F14 to get a 2 second exposure,
◦ Flash set to fire at the end of the 2 seconds rather than at the beginning of the shot, as i wanted to capture the glass in my hand not as it was falling.
◦ Then I just held the glass above shot, hit the shutter and then lowered my hand into the shot and held it steady for the flash at the end.

All sounds simple until you try to do it all quickly while keeping your dropping hand straight, and falling at a steady pace the whole shot. :LOL:

Was wondering how you did it. Smart **** :LOL:

Doesn't sound that simple to me.. but a great shot. Hope you didn't go through too many glasses in the process :)

Was wondering how you did it. Smart **** :LOL:
Hehe, literally had to think 'Now how the bloody hell am I gonna do this?' :LOL: Took me so long and loads of tries to get this result.

Good work, good sense of motion.
Great idea for the pic. Nice sense of motion and on theme.

Thank you, took some time getting it to look alright but i am happy with the end result. Not as professional looking as I was hoping, but still enjoyed the learning process.

Doesn't sound that simple to me.. but a great shot. Hope you didn't go through too many glasses in the process :)
Great shot, liked reading how you did it. Look forward to the next themes.

Always willing to answer any comments or criticism, and any advice given or that I can help with is always useful, how else are we going to learn if we cant ask. And luckly i didnt break a single glass, which is good as I brought this one especially for this shot and had no spares.
On a side note, any one want a free glass? :)

Last edited:
Great sigh shot! Is the motion blur genuine (looks it) or added in PP? In either case, how on earth did you get it so perfect?!!

Ah you know me, I'm the one shot king. All my shots are perfect. :LOL:

The motion blur is genuine, The only things I've done to the picture are crop it, and use the burn tool in CS5 on the glass to make it stand out a bit more. It looked to ghostly and white before hand.
And as for the perfect comment, thank you very much. But it took me 40+ shots, an hour and a half, and lots and lots of setting tweaks to finally get this one. But I am happy with the result.

She was absolutely lovely, when I said what i was after and asked if any one would be willing to try she literately jump at it. Was a good fun shot as she couldn't stop licking the sugar off her lips, and had to keep being re-applied. :LOL:
I cant thank Susan (The Model) and Kat (The make-up artist) enough for there help with shot, lots of work just for me.

Last edited:
Yep that works for me Gareth, shame you've cropped straight through the eyes is my only crit. ;)

2nd sweet lips option and good interpretation ... I wonder if blue is the best choice of lippy?

Yep that works for me Gareth, shame you've cropped straight through the eyes is my only crit. ;)
Was originaly going for a shot just below the nose, so only to get in the lips and chin. This is the only shot I have with her eyes, and I just kept being drawn back to it.

Nice shot my only Crit is the eye makeup too dark IMO
Its a bit heavier than I would have liked but that's how she came to the studio and wanted to stay.

Brilliant. I tried mine with a bit of tongue, :eek::eek: but it didn't work out!
I do have some that im uploading soon on my Flickr of just her lips with a bit more tongue. Personaly this set of photo's are my favourite shots of the day with the models. :wacky:

2nd sweet lips option and good interpretation ... I wonder if blue is the best choice of lippy?
We were going to go for a really nice deep red, but when the make-up artist found this gorgeous candy blue/turquoise, It was an instant must have.

Last edited:
I like sweet a lot! I find the eyes a little distracting maybe; perhaps a crop closer to the lips, and have her puckering up for a kiss?

But it works very well as it is!

I really like all your images but 'sweet' is very good and fits the theme, clearly a good teamwork effort from all involved it really works (y)

Again thank you very much for all your kind comments, I am quite surprised how warmly my 'Sweet' submission has been received. I thought for sure most wouldn't like it, but glad to be proved wrong.
For those after a different shot with a tighter crop and with out her eyes click →HERE←

Oh yes, I like that alternative shot; works very very well :)

Back