Snow based photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Fiiiinally getting the chance to get out to the snow next weekend! Yay! :p

Want to pick peoples brains for tips etc. for shooting in the snow. I'll be shooting RAW so white balance won't be an issue but I think I'll need to overexpose too.

Anything else?

What's peoples thoughts about using a polariser? Worth the hassle? Makes no difference in the conditions?

:)

Snow will really fool your camera meter - all that reflected glare off the snow fools the meter into thinking the light is much brighter than it actually is, which results in under-exposure. The answer is you need to give more exposure probably 1.5 to 2 stops more, but in the time honoured tradition I'd take some test shots and bracket like Hell to see what works best on the day.

I've never used a polariser on snow Sammy so I dunno what to advise for the best. The attraction of snow scenes and a deep blue polarised sky is obvious enough, but I don't think it will be that simple. The polariser only has a polarising effect on reflected glare from certain parts of the image, it will have little or no effect on the snow itself, but it will darken a blue sky or reduce reflected glare off, for example, water in your shots. The problem is that because the polariser has a filter factor (the amount by which exposure must be increased) it still has an effect on your whole image including the non polarised parts, and that is the effect of being a neutral density or grad filter, so while it may well produce the nice blue sky it will probably also give you dark looking snow.

My gut feeling is don't use the polariser, just concentrate on getting the exposure right. Certainly experiment with the polariser, but make sure you have some shots safely in the bag first.

Definitely shoot RAW to avoid white balance problems. :)

I think steve-o may be your guru as far as snow goes. Esp the blue variety ;)

Oh, and don't forget, Yellow snow IS NOT LEMON FLAVOUR!

Thanks CT, looks like it'll be a try it and see jobbie!

& remember to impress the women by writing your name in the snow, in a fashion they cannot achieve ;)

DJW said:
& remember to impress the women by writing your name in the snow, in a fashion they cannot achieve ;)

... what in joined up writing?

With a bit of bladder control you might get some spaces in there ;)

Back